Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ohio State Buckeyes 2017-2018 ... Home Playoffs This Season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ohio State Buckeyes 2017-2018 ... Home Playoffs This Season?

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
    Exaggerating to make the point.

Quick explanation: I'm a fan of Buckeye Football. The commitment of the fan base is admirable. But dark underside is that if you have a 9-3 Regular Season, "fans" are calling for the coach's head. I just don't want to see Women's Hockey go that route. Not wanting it bad enough? OK, that can be a problem. But wanting it too badly can spoil the whole enterprise.

For the most part, fans on the Women's Hockey Board are much classier than the fans I'm decrying. But when one of the programs that hasn't won national titles makes a move in the right direction, respect is often still withheld. It's a widespread undercurrent and it does deserve some pushback.
    This is exactly why I don't get on here and rip on our coaches or our kids. I'll be honest, I do not have the same expectations for Ohio State Women's Hockey that I do for Ohio State Football, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. This program has had three different coaches in the last four seasons and only won ten games two seasons ago, so for me to get on here and ***** about a 12-4-4 record or denigrate the coaches and kids if they don't win a natty this season would be a tad unfair, IMHO. As an avid OSU Football fan, I totally understand the whole 'National Title or bust' mentality, and I'll 'fess up, I tend to agree with that most years, although I am not one of the lunatics that was calling for Urban Meyer to be fired after the Iowa loss. My point is, yes, I have expectations for our women's hockey program, I just haven't reached the 'National Title or bust' level with them yet.

Comment

Originally posted by dd17 View Post
      Bang. Major issue. Sauve is #1 reason the team is doing well and the team goes as she goes. Question: Is Ohio State the only program in the NCAA that does not have a goalie coach???? The goalie coach (along with all assistant coaches) quick in the summer. They brought back the goalie coach from two years ago but the coach removed (fired?) him in the fall. Makes no sense. I would think Ohio State would have the funds and backing to run a proper program. The only constant in the last 2 years is the head coach. All other coaches have quit or been released. Bit of a red flag.
      Not so sure this is really a red flag situation. Karel Popper followed his girlfriend, Noora Raty, over to China where she is playing for the CWHL team over there. Jessica Koizumi went to University of Vermont to be the associate head coach there, perhaps a lateral move, although I am 100% sure Vermont makes more of a commitment to the sport of ice hockey than Ohio State does (don't get me started on that, trust me), so it was probably a move up. I thing Coach Nadine did a great job with their replacements, Milica McMillen and Peter Elander, but I do agree that we need a goalie coach. I heard over the weekend that we had one, but there was an issue getting the paperwork through. And yes, I do ask the same question you did about us being the only program in the country who doesn't have a goalie coach!!! It makes what Kassidy Sauve is accomplishing that much more impressive, considering she hasn't had a coach this season.

Comment

Originally posted by EPIC97 View Post
        How this program is where it is, is a testament to the players, especially the three Seniors and Sauve who is also in her fourth year. 3 head coaches, 7 assistant coaches, 2 strength coaches, 3 trainers, 3 team operations heads and 4 other support staff have turned over. Not to mention the countless team mates that have left in the four years they have been there. The only constant for this group has been the Equipment manager Jim Deans who cares for the players and bleeds scarlet and gray (who is an employee of the school and not the team, one can only imagine how many equipment personnel would have had the same fate). The four above women are the only players on the team who played for the coach that recruited them to OSU, except of course the 2 new transfers.
        Hats off to the players who have put together the best half season in program history. Maybe they go the way of Colgate last year, but the fact they are where they are says something to the character of the players on this team.
        EPIC97, totally agree with this post. It's why I respect and admire these girls so much, especially the seniors and Kassidy, who have stayed here to help build this program through three coaching changes in their four years. I am really happy for them that they are having the season they are having after what they have been through.

Comment

• Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
          EPIC97, totally agree with this post. It's why I respect and admire these girls so much, especially the seniors and Kassidy, who have stayed here to help build this program through three coaching changes in their four years. I am really happy for them that they are having the season they are having after what they have been through.
          Good post. The main thing is there is a lot of positive talk on this forum since Nadine got the job, which is a very nice and welcome change compared to when the two morons that preceded her were in charge.

Comment

But when one of the programs that hasn't won national titles makes a move in the right direction, respect is often still withheld.
            Hey, I give those teams respect in the polls -- do I have to give them love here too?

I think that the jury is still out as far as just how big a step forward the Buckeyes have taken this year. I've only watched them for two games, and outside of the five-minute overtime when they dominated, improved success over past years was as much about better puck luck as anything else. Maybe it can be chalked up to attitude and belief.

Teams like Bemidji and Duluth have improved a lot from the start of the year. Neither has the goaltending they did last year, but both are still capable of knocking off anyone they play. I imagine that the Buckeyes will be considerably better next season, but if the other six teams improve as well, then that improvement might not be reflected in the standings.
            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
              This is exactly why I don't get on here and rip on our coaches or our kids. I'll be honest, I do not have the same expectations for Ohio State Women's Hockey that I do for Ohio State Football, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that.
              There isn't.

Rooting for a talented favorite has its advantages. But rooting for a plucky underdog has its selling points too. Personally I enjoy both roles, and am glad I have the opportunity to do both.

This program has had three different coaches in the last four seasons and only won ten games two seasons ago, so for me to get on here and ***** about a 12-4-4 record or denigrate the coaches and kids if they don't win a natty this season would be a tad unfair, IMHO. As an avid OSU Football fan, I totally understand the whole 'National Title or bust' mentality, and I'll 'fess up, I tend to agree with that most years, although I am not one of the lunatics that was calling for Urban Meyer to be fired after the Iowa loss. My point is, yes, I have expectations for our women's hockey program, I just haven't reached the 'National Title or bust' level with them yet.
              Sometimes fans of the talented favorites forget to enjoy the climb to the top. Following teams like Buckeye Football and Gopher Hockey tends to be a bit of a trap in this regard. While I'm probably being a curmudgeon, I feel the need to make two related points. First, enjoy your own ride. Second, don't try to deny that simple pleasure to others.

Originally posted by ARM View Post
              Hey, I give those teams respect in the polls -- do I have to give them love here too?
              Yes. Yes you do.

I think that the jury is still out as far as just how big a step forward the Buckeyes have taken this year. I've only watched them for two games, and outside of the five-minute overtime when they dominated, improved success over past years was as much about better puck luck as anything else. Maybe it can be chalked up to attitude and belief.

Teams like Bemidji and Duluth have improved a lot from the start of the year. Neither has the goaltending they did last year, but both are still capable of knocking off anyone they play. I imagine that the Buckeyes will be considerably better next season, but if the other six teams improve as well, then that improvement might not be reflected in the standings.
              Strong points. And all reasons why the second half is going to be a great show, not to be missed...

Except, of course, for those fans who only care about 1st Place, and nothing else. I suppose that group can console themselves with two months of televised poker, then come back for the playoffs.
              Last edited by pgb-ohio; 12-19-2017, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Sometimes fans of the talented favorites forget to enjoy the climb to the top. Following teams like Buckeye Football and Gopher Hockey tends to be a bit of a trap in this regard. While I'm probably being a curmudgeon, I feel the need to make two related points. First, enjoy your own ride. Second, don't try to deny that simple pleasure to others.
                I think that the point you are making in regard to teams can also apply to individuals on teams. People will sometimes say about a player, "She could have been a regular on another team," or, "She should have played D-III where she could have been a star." There is nothing wrong with being a player who is not featured and may get limited minutes. It isn't easy to be the person who is ready when called upon, but that is an important role that must be filled for a team to enjoy success. If the player relishes that role, who are we to say that she should not?

To bring it back to your point, not all teams will be championship teams. The whole point is to participate and to compete. Jim Scanlan's first team in Bemidji didn't win any trophies, but they still accomplished an awful lot. Maybe I'll eventually think of the 2017-18 Buckeyes similarly. Or perhaps they WILL win a trophy and I'll have to remember them differently.

Comment

I think that the point you are making in regard to teams can also apply to individuals on teams. People will sometimes say about a player, "She could have been a regular on another team," or, "She should have played D-III where she could have been a star." There is nothing wrong with being a player who is not featured and may get limited minutes. It isn't easy to be the person who is ready when called upon, but that is an important role that must be filled for a team to enjoy success. If the player relishes that role, who are we to say that she should not?
                  Good insight. As a former "role player" myself, I can relate. Maybe that's part of why I believe the way I do...

To bring it back to your point, not all teams will be championship teams. The whole point is to participate and to compete. Jim Scanlan's first team in Bemidji didn't win any trophies, but they still accomplished an awful lot.
                  Yes, this is at the heart of the matter.

Maybe I'll eventually think of the 2017-18 Buckeyes similarly. Or perhaps they WILL win a trophy and I'll have to remember them differently.
                  Again, the second half chase should be great fun. The opportunity for a special season is there. Clearly there can be no guarantees. But that makes things more interesting, not less.

Comment

• Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                    Good insight. As a former "role player" myself, I can relate. Maybe that's part of why I believe the way I do...

Yes, this is at the heart of the matter.

Again, the second half chase should be great fun. The opportunity for a special season is there. Clearly there can be no guarantees. But that makes things more interesting, not less.
                    Stick to your lines, work on the pp and pk, let the defense play some defense, take some of the focus off of blocking shots, let your goalie see the puck and you will have a great second half.

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
                      ... take some of the focus off of blocking shots, let your goalie see the puck ...
                      A few years back, a freshman defenseman told me that the biggest adjustment she had to make was that in HS they were taught to get out of the way and keep the lane clear so that the goalie could see the shot, but in college, the D were expected to block the shots. I suppose it makes sense given that every offense talks about wanting to get pucks to the net, and when asked why it is tough to generate offense against certain teams, "They block a lot of shots," always seems to be included in the explanation. In any case, blocking shots seems to be what every WCHA team tries to do, although you're right that some teams get quite obsessive about it.

Comment

A few years back, a freshman defenseman told me that the biggest adjustment she had to make was that in HS they were taught to get out of the way and keep the lane clear so that the goalie could see the shot, but in college, the D were expected to block the shots. I suppose it makes sense given that every offense talks about wanting to get pucks to the net, and when asked why it is tough to generate offense against certain teams, "They block a lot of shots," always seems to be included in the explanation. In any case, blocking shots seems to be what every WCHA team tries to do, although you're right that some teams get quite obsessive about it.
                        A blocked shot will never go in, an unblocked shot has a 8% - 12% change of going in. Rarely is a goal scored where the goalie is screened. The biggest thing I see is goalies that go down and leave the cupboard doors open or can't get to the back door quick enough due to being down on their knees.
                        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                          A blocked shot will never go in, an unblocked shot has a 8% - 12% change of going in. Rarely is a goal scored where the goalie is screened. The biggest thing I see is goalies that go down and leave the cupboard doors open or can't get to the back door quick enough due to being down on their knees.
                          I question whether or not you actually watch the hockey games you attend.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
                            I question whether or not you actually watch the hockey games you attend.
                            100% agree. Goalies at this level will stop the shots they can see. Not sure where those stats come from.

Comment

• Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
                              100% agree. Goalies at this level will stop the shots they can see. Not sure where those stats come from.
                              Well, except for the softies they see but let in anyway. Other than those I completely agree. His stats probably came from his own mind. His best guess in other words. They don't keep track of that particular stat anywhwere.

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
                                100% agree. Goalies at this level will stop the shots they can see.
                                What I see is that perhaps the major factor to "good goaltending" in the WCHA is puck control when they do stop the shots they see. Do they catch the puck? Do they kick or blocker it safely into the corner? Or do they let the rebound get away out into the slot for the easy put-back goal? Desbiens (for example) wasn't/isn't a great goalie because "she stops the shots she sees", but that she controls where the puck goes after. In terms of blocking shots then, the worse your goalie's puck control is, the more important blocking would become; the better her puck control, the less important blocking becomes.

Comment

Working...
                                X