Cord cutting - what service to buy after the cable co goes away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Cord cutting - what service to buy after the cable co goes away

Roku every day of the week and twice on Sunday. I've been using Roku for 4 years and love it. Bought a Roku TV - $120 for a 32" HDTV. Works great. You get access to the Roku channel which offers a bunch of movies and TV shows for free. They also periodically offer free trials of HBO and other premium channels. That's how I watched Game of Thrones and Chernobyl for free. I used Firestick for two days and returned it.

Comment

My Roku TV wasnt perfect but it was pretty dang close. If it hadnt been outdated (which made it glitchy) I probably would have kept it. As it is my GF enjoys it
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

My roommate has a fire tv for the upstairs tv. I like it. Never had any issues with it. I think she has a Roku too but I’ve never used it.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Only thing about ROKU is that, unless you hack it (available on the web, not hard), your VPN used to spoof geographic locations is useless. ROKU uses Google's DNS settings and you can't change it via Settings.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Disney+ will partner with Charter to prevent password sharing.

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
              Disney+ will partner with Charter to prevent password sharing.
              how?
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                how?
                I'm sure they can tell that Joe's account was streaming 4 different things at one time at 8:42pm on Fri. Aug. 16. Joe only has 1 user registered, therefore he's in violation kind of thing. They can also tell different devices like PC's, phones, tablets, etc.

I don't know the nuts & bolts but I'm sure it's not difficult to track...
                It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                  how?
                  They aren't saying.

“Additionally, Disney and Charter have also agreed to work together on piracy mitigation. The two companies will work together to implement business rules and techniques to address such issues as unauthorized access and password sharing.”
                  They aren't likely to tell us, but it seems apparent it's going to involve them keeping track of IP addresses and cracking down on people using multiple devices. Problem is I watch Netflix on
                  Downstairs TV
                  PS4
                  Living Room TV
                  Bedroom TV
                  Laptop
                  Cell phone 1
                  Cell phone 2

Plus my mom (with whom I'm allowed to share a password) watches on
                  Master Bedroom TV
                  Surface
                  Cell phone 3

That's not even considering the travel I do where I access it from hotels and trains.

Netflix says password sharing is something you have to learn to live with. The former HBO president said he had no problem with password sharing - "our job is to make you an addict" - because they were more concerned with how many people were watching a program and they assumed a percentage of the password sharers will eventually get an account of their own. Disney has already created the addicts; the Mouse is worried about profits.

Comment

What they all said.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                      I'm sure they can tell that Joe's account was streaming 4 different things at one time at 8:42pm on Fri. Aug. 16. Joe only has 1 user registered, therefore he's in violation kind of thing. They can also tell different devices like PC's, phones, tablets, etc.

I don't know the nuts & bolts but I'm sure it's not difficult to track...
                      Ok. mlb.tv allows 2 simultaneous devices with the same IP. If one of my kids wants to watch the Red Sox game and so do I, one of us is getting the boot.
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                        They aren't saying.

They aren't likely to tell us, but it seems apparent it's going to involve them keeping track of IP addresses and cracking down on people using multiple devices. Problem is I watch Netflix on
                        Downstairs TV
                        PS4
                        Living Room TV
                        Bedroom TV
                        Laptop
                        Cell phone 1
                        Cell phone 2

Plus my mom (with whom I'm allowed to share a password) watches on
                        Master Bedroom TV
                        Surface
                        Cell phone 3

That's not even considering the travel I do where I access it from hotels and trains.

Netflix says password sharing is something you have to learn to live with. The former HBO president said he had no problem with password sharing - "our job is to make you an addict" - because they were more concerned with how many people were watching a program and they assumed a percentage of the password sharers will eventually get an account of their own. Disney has already created the addicts; the Mouse is worried about profits.
                        Yeah but everything behind your router has the same IP address to charter.

Yeah, the travel thing is going to be potentially tricky. But credit card companies figures it out ages ago.

Also, Disney is going about this wrong. Just price it into your model. Not everyone who shares a password is going to buy it solo. So add some percentage onto it.
                        Code:
                        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                        Originally posted by SanTropez
                        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                        Originally posted by Kepler
                        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

Yeah, the travel thing is going to be potentially tricky. But credit card companies figures it out ages ago.

Also, Disney is going about this wrong. Just price it into your model. Not everyone who shares a password is going to buy it solo. So add some percentage onto it.
                          It won't necessarily be one IP. Sure my main IP is Consolidated Communication, but I also have AT&T and my mother has Consumer Cellular. I can also connect a couple times a month to the Xfinity tower nearby. Four IP addresses for a single residence.

But if I share an apartment with three other people and the four of us share a single Disney+ account that shows up as one IP address in one geographic location.

On the other hand, some services have a family plan but my parents may live in Boston, my sister in California and me in Maine. That's three different IPs in three different geographic locations.

It's going to be way too easy for Disney+ to get false positives while missing some of the theft it most wants to catch. Disney better make sure the system works well or it risks alienating legitimate paying customers.

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

Yep. Or tier it like Netflix and Hulu where you can allow periods to use it if you pay a few bucks more.

I mean I know Di$ney is cash strapped but I think they can survive. Cut ESPN if you have to
                            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

New to this but so many options, my head can't handle it. I feel like there is no single option that can replace what I get in terms of sports content by keeping Comcast. I want to pull the trigger but can't do it.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                                New to this but so many options, my head can't handle it. I feel like there is no single option that can replace what I get in terms of sports content by keeping Comcast. I want to pull the trigger but can't do it.
                                That's the rub. A la carte options don't save you money. You still will probably miss out on something unless you either get EVERYTHING or you have very concise and consistent viewing habits.
                                It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Working...
                                X