Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SCOTUS 15: Help Us, Ruth Bader Ginsburg! You're Our Only Hope!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SCOTUS 15: Help Us, Ruth Bader Ginsburg! You're Our Only Hope!

Probably have to go back to the 19th century to find a SCOTUS justice who had anything less than complimentary to say about a sitting colleague.

Remember they all managed to find nice words for Scalia when he was murdered finally choked on his own lung tar.

Comment

Anything I've ever seen about the justices suggests that they all get along a lot better than most of us would expect, and some would hope. I suppose some people still find it odd that adults can disagree on a subject, even one of great importance, and not take that disagreement personally.
      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
        Probably have to go back to the 19th century to find a SCOTUS justice who had anything less than complimentary to say about a sitting colleague.
        Pull up a chair.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
          Anything I've ever seen about the justices suggests that they all get along a lot better than most of us would expect, and some would hope. I suppose some people still find it odd that adults can disagree on a subject, even one of great importance, and not take that disagreement personally.
          I remember reading that RBG and Scalia used to get lunch together almost daily.
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
            I remember reading that RBG and Scalia used to get lunch together almost daily.
            They were both intellectuals -- who were they gonna hang out with, Rehnquist the used car salesman?

They were good friends who spent Christmases together. They both liked the opera. And I'm sure they enjoyed the company of a fellow top tier, curious intellect.

Scalia's problem was never that he was stupid.
            Cornell University
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              Pull up a chair.
              He sounds like quite the Little Eichmann.

When Benjamin Cardozo's appointment was being pressed on President Herbert C. Hoover, McReynolds joined with fellow justices Pierce Butler and Willis Van Devanter in urging the White House not to "afflict the Court with another Jew".[39] When news of Cardozo's appointment was announced, McReynolds is claimed to have said "Huh, it seems that the only way you can get on the Supreme Court these days is to be either the son of a criminal or a Jew, or both."

According to John Frush Knox (1907–1997), McReynolds's law clerk for one term (1936–1937, following the seven-year clerkship of Maurice Mahoney), and one author of a memoir of his service, McReynolds never spoke to Cardozo at all.[34] McReynolds did not attend the memorial ceremonies held at the Supreme Court in honor of Cardozo.[41][43][44] He did not attend Felix Frankfurter's swearing-in, exclaiming "My God, another Jew on the Court!"[45]

Comment

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlo...ericas-future/
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

And Cardozo was among the best. Certainly one of the most gifted writers the Court has had.

Comment

He would make an ideal Dump nominee / McConnell confirmation.
                    Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                      “Nowadays, when people divide into ‘I’ll talk to my own kind, and the others I have nothing to do with,’ that’s very sad because that hasn’t been the way it was and isn’t the way this country should be,” Ginsburg said. She added that Americans should go “beyond just mere tolerance of different views” to “welcoming different views because they enrich our society.”
                      "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
                      Groucho Marx
                      "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
                      Ron White
                      "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
                      Milo Bloom

Comment

So... Fascists bad, Republic good.

Why is it you continue to vote GOP again?
                        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by busterman62 View Post
                          I agree to a point. Heck, I even started dating someone who was the other party abuout six years ago. Now? No. I can have friends who are pro life, and we can disagree on whether the Middle East wars were the right choice. But I really don’t spend much time with them now

What did it for me was that the entire GOP platform is now disgusting. Anti woman, anti non-whites, anti health care, anti 99 percent, raping the planet and shunning science.
                          I don’t want those people as friends. Can I interact with them? I do.

Comment

My Dumpy co-workers and I get along fine, we just never talk about politics. But those are co-workers. For a spouse or friends I have to respect them. I do not respect anybody who is still a Republican.
                            Cornell University

Comment

Yep. My girlfriend is a reformed conservative now liberal. We took a very similar path to where we are now.

I couldn’t date a conservative. No way. Not anymore.

I’m friends with a few trumpers. I have convinced myself they are just trolls and don’t believe it. Or at least I’ve tried.
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                                Yep. My girlfriend is a reformed conservative now liberal. We took a very similar path to where we are now.

I couldn’t date a conservative. No way. Not anymore.
                                Eh, I could. People don't usually fit into neat little boxes (though I could definitely rule out white nationalists and most evangelicals). Plus, at 38, my potential pool is small enough, no need to artificially decrease it...especially since I'll be living in Texas.

I’m friends with a few trumpers. I have convinced myself they are just trolls and don’t believe it. Or at least I’ve tried.
                                If they are who I think they are...probably
                                Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                                Originally posted by Quizmire
                                mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                                MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                                MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                                I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Working...
                                X