Spartan Hockey 2018-2019 - Preparing for Glory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
    ASU says they’re coming here on October 25th and 26th. Football is also home to PSU on the 26th, so either they’re fully planning on a noon kickoff or that series is going to change to Thursday/Friday or Friday/Sunday.

That also means we’re keeping our conference bye week unless Cornell is coming post Christmas.
    I suspect the conference bye week will be the U-18 team.

Comment

• Re: Spartan Hockey 2018-2019 - Preparing for Glory

Hearing we’re just not going to have a schedule this year. Some weekends we will just be at Munn and see if another team shows up and other weekends we will go somewhere else and see if they’re in town and not playing anyone else. Pretty dumb way of doing things if you ask me.

Comment

Admittedly a schedule would be good by now vs. promoting Krug's SCF production. But if the program's so fixated on Krug, how about announcing a similar dman recruit for the 2019-20 season? I'm a bit surprised they would go into the upcoming season with 8 dmen, two of whom saw no-to-limited action last season. But that's just me.

Comment

• Originally posted by FLHockeyMom View Post
          Admittedly a schedule would be good by now vs. promoting Krug's SCF production. But if the program's so fixated on Krug, how about announcing a similar dman recruit for the 2019-20 season? I'm a bit surprised they would go into the upcoming season with 8 dmen, two of whom saw no-to-limited action last season. But that's just me.
          I’m hearing no additional adds for this year are expected.

As for the other two points I can only speculate. It looks like they are happy with the current top 6 dmen and would prefer to have the dmen in the pipeline to spend next year playing regularly in the USHL. Expect 3 dmen in 2020.

As far as the schedule, we know who we will be playing (B10, NMU, ASU, Cornell, CC, Great Lakes Invite) with the exception of exhibitions....the details will come before September.

Comment

Conference schedule is out. It looks like the LCA game will be Monday the 17th of February?

Also looks like the first series against Michigan is the same weekend as football, so I’m sure that’ll get pushed to a Thursday/Friday.
            Last edited by Spartanforlife4; 06-05-2019, 11:11 AM.
            Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
              Conference schedule is out. It looks like the LCA game will be Monday the 17th of February?

Also looks like the first series against Michigan is the same weekend as football, so I’m sure that’ll get pushed to a Thursday/Friday.
              Interesting they didn't reveal the entire schedule when we already know their OOC opponents and the rest of the big ten teams revealed their entire schedules. I guess they don't know exactly when they play them yet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Liveatjrl View Post
                Interesting they didn't reveal the entire schedule when we already know their OOC opponents and the rest of the big ten teams revealed their entire schedules. I guess they don't know exactly when they play them yet.
                Without knowing Cornell’s schedule, the only weekends the that work around the conference schedule are Dec 13-14, Jan 3-4 and Jan 31-Feb 1.

So that, exhibitions, and some moves due to football are what’s stopping release. I swear we’ve somehow run into more conflicts with football and basketball since the Big Ten started, which makes zero sense.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                  Without knowing Cornell’s schedule, the only weekends the that work around the conference schedule are Dec 13-14, Jan 3-4 and Jan 31-Feb 1.

So that, exhibitions, and some moves due to football are what’s stopping release. I swear we’ve somehow run into more conflicts with football and basketball since the Big Ten started, which makes zero sense.
                  If those are the only 3 possible dates ... it has to be dec 13-14 as Cornell is in ice Vegas tourney Jan 3-4 and ecac games Jan 31-feb 1.

Comment

There could also be an October date or early November, but I couldn’t remember the non-con dates.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

Now that I've had some time to look at the other schedules, here's what we have:

10/11-10/12: @ Northern Michigan
                      10/25-10/26: @ Colorado College
                      10/25-10/26: vs. Arizona State
                      Unless we're doing split squad, something here clearly has to change.
                      11/8-11/9: @ Penn State
                      11/15-11/16: @/vs Michigan
                      11/23-11/24: vs Notre Dame
                      11/30-12/1: @ Ohio State (interesting, both B1G series this weekend are Sat/Sun)
                      12/6-12/7: vs Wisconsin
                      Christmas-New Years: GLi vs Tech and Ferris/Michigan
                      1/10-1/11: vs Minnesota
                      1/17-1/18: @ Wisconsin
                      1/24-1/25: vs Penn State
                      2/7-2/8: @ Minnesota
                      2/14 & 2/17: vs/LCA Michigan
                      2/21-2/22: vs Ohio State
                      2/28-2/29: @ Notre Dame

TBD:
                      Cornell x2
                      Canadian exhibition
                      USA U-18 exhibition

Due to the 26th of October being a home football game, I'd assume that's when we go to Colorado, but ASU looks busy every weekend we'd be open except for 12/14-12/15, and that's typically been the U18 exhibition. Meanwhile, CC is open the first weekend in October and that first weekend in January. Plus we still have to fit Cornell in somewhere.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

Now that I've had some time to look at the other schedules, here's what we have:

10/11-10/12: @ Northern Michigan
                        10/25-10/26: @ Colorado College
                        10/25-10/26: vs. Arizona State
                        Unless we're doing split squad, something here clearly has to change.
                        11/8-11/9: @ Penn State
                        11/15-11/16: @/vs Michigan
                        11/23-11/24: vs Notre Dame
                        11/30-12/1: @ Ohio State (interesting, both B1G series this weekend are Sat/Sun)
                        12/6-12/7: vs Wisconsin
                        Christmas-New Years: GLi vs Tech and Ferris/Michigan
                        1/10-1/11: vs Minnesota
                        1/17-1/18: @ Wisconsin
                        1/24-1/25: vs Penn State
                        2/7-2/8: @ Minnesota
                        2/14 & 2/17: vs/LCA Michigan
                        2/21-2/22: vs Ohio State
                        2/28-2/29: @ Notre Dame

TBD:
                        Cornell x2
                        Canadian exhibition
                        USA U-18 exhibition

Due to the 26th of October being a home football game, I'd assume that's when we go to Colorado, but ASU looks busy every weekend we'd be open except for 12/14-12/15, and that's typically been the U18 exhibition. Meanwhile, CC is open the first weekend in October and that first weekend in January. Plus we still have to fit Cornell in somewhere.
                        Maybe we can fit something in during the October off week. Maybe the U-18 team so ASU can fit in that December slot.

Also, that off week in the beginning of the season is dumb and it feels like we do it frequently. Fill it, even if it’s with the Canadian exhibition. 2 weeks is a long layoff and is counterproductive when guys are still getting back to game speed after the off season.
                        Last edited by Pirateasaur; 06-06-2019, 10:15 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post
                          Maybe we can fit something in during the October off week. Maybe the U-18 team so ASU can fit in that December slot.

Also, that off week in the beginning of the season is dumb and it feels like we do it frequently. Fill it, even if it’s with the Canadian exhibition. 2 weeks is a long layoff and is counterproductive when guys are still getting back to game speed after the off season.
                          I just remembered that something that might throw an extra wrench in scheduling is that some of those ECAC teams don’t start their season until nearly November. That might cut down on available dates to shuffle everyone.

Also, it feels like we should be gearing up for a new season but no, not for a long time. Might as well be discussing the 2020-21 schedule right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post
                            Also, it feels like we should be gearing up for a new season but no, not for a long time. Might as well be discussing the 2020-21 schedule right now.
                            True, but I always like to check in for two more reasons: 1) the NHL draft in a few weeks usually means that there are still some moving parts on rosters (not necessarily for the Spartans, but you never know); and 2) most teams start training on campus right after 4th of July, so if there's any late signings/surprises, those will be known then. Just as an interested observer.....

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post
                              I just remembered that something that might throw an extra wrench in scheduling is that some of those ECAC teams don’t start their season until nearly November. That might cut down on available dates to shuffle everyone.

I recall our series against Cornell being their opening weekend. That same weekend this year is when we're currently double booked.

Shared weekends we have open with Cornell's currently known schedule (provided the late start) are:
                              11/1-11/2
                              12/13-12/14

Colorado College could move to:
                              10/5-10/6
                              10/18-10/19
                              1/3-1/4

Arizona State could move to 12/13-12/14.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

I recall our series against Cornell being their opening weekend. That same weekend this year is when we're currently double booked.

Shared weekends we have open with Cornell's currently known schedule (provided the late start) are:
                                11/1-11/2
                                12/13-12/14

Colorado College could move to:
                                10/5-10/6
                                10/18-10/19
                                1/3-1/4

Arizona State could move to 12/13-12/14.
                                ASU website does not currently list MSU on their schedule although they announced it earlier. They have 34 games scheduled, but 2 are exempt so they can add two more.

Cole doesn’t like home hockey on home football weekends...so it looks like there is some shuffling going on....

Comment

Working...
                                X