Brown Hockey 2018-19: Marchin Orders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Brown Hockey 2018-19: Marchin Orders

Great win at Princeton. We have a tough schedule the rest of the way (two with Quinnipiac, one each with Cornell and Harvard and then jockeying for position in the standings with Dartmouth, Colgate and Princeton) but we’re well-positioned for a home playoff series. This team came out of nowhere to quietly go on the best run a Brown team has seen since 2012-13.

Comment

Thoughts and observations from Quinnipiac's 4-1 loss to Brown

http://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/201...ns-from_9.html
      QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
      2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
      2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
      2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
      https://twitter.com/QHockeyBlog
      https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
      https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

Originally posted by QUAlum2004 View Post
        Thoughts and observations from Quinnipiac's 4-1 loss to Brown

http://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/201...ns-from_9.html
        Way to go Bruno

Comment

Nice weekend Bears, surprise team of the league.
          It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

After starting 1-6-1 in the fall with a handful of very tight losses, Brown has been winning games at a pace not dissimilar to some of the top teams in the country. We’re 9-4-2 since that point in late November with two losses to Providence, a loss to Clarkson, and a loss to Yale – all teams that are ahead of us in the Pairwise.

I’ve been a vocal critic of Brendan Whittet as the team faltered the last couple years, but I now need to praise him for what he’s done this season. While losing most of his scoring potential and not adding any blue chip talent to reload the way teams like BU, BC, PC, et al can regularly, he’s headed a complete turnaround with solid defense and goaltending and opportunistic scoring. It’s a very similar formula to what worked in 2012-13 (though Matt Lorito was on hand then to buoy the offense). It’s very impressive! Excited to see what the next few weeks bring.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
              Nice weekend Bears, surprise team of the league. It all starts with goaltending
              And ends with excellent coaching.

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
                I’ve been a vocal critic of Brendan Whittet as the team faltered the last couple years, but I now need to praise him for what he’s done this season. While losing most of his scoring potential and not adding any blue chip talent to reload the way teams like BU, BC, PC, et al can regularly, he’s headed a complete turnaround with solid defense and goaltending and opportunistic scoring. It’s a very similar formula to what worked in 2012-13 (though Matt Lorito was on hand then to buoy the offense). It’s very impressive! Excited to see what the next few weeks bring.
                Brendan may be the most underrated coach in the league. The program gets scanty support from an athletic administration more focused on basketball and lacrosse, and hardly a break from the admissions office. That this team has been able to succeed is a testament to Brendan's ability as a coach. He loves his Alma Mater and it shows.

And Brendan's two assistants, Jay Guerriero and James Marcou are first rate, not to mention volunteer goaltending coach Ed Kesell, who's doing an excellent job with Brown's goaltenders. They're a very dedicated and knowledgeable group of coaches, who put in countless hours before every practice and every game. They're all very good teachers of the game, which is exactly what Brown needs since we don't get as many blue chip players as several of our competitors. As former Brown coach Bob Gaudet once told me, we don't get the "finished" players. We need to bring them along and help them improve.

Comment

Can't remember the last time Brown had back- to- back 4 point weekends on the road. Nice push here by this young team. Any word on Nieto?

Comment

BIG game tonight in our quest to lock down home ice/possibly even fight for a first-round bye. Hoping for a good turnout (not including the typically large Cornell crowd).

LFS – I haven’t seen any update on Nieto, but I won’t be surprised if Kania gets a start even if Gavin is healthy this weekend, given how he played at Princeton and Quinnipiac. It’s nice to have two goalies playing well.

Comment

Cornell looks bigger, faster, stronger, and more confident tonight. Totally dominant through 2. We put together a couple good shifts in the last minute or two; let’s see if we can keep that up in the third.

Comment

WOW, what an effort to come back! Incredible third period and overtime. This team is so, so fun.

Comment

Congrats on the game tonight! You guys are on fire! I am hoping for a different outcome tomorrow night (Colgate). Going forward (after tomorrow night), you will be my team to rout for. Go get 'em, Bruno!!

Comment

Four games left, and we have a five-point advantage over 9th-place RPI. Barring something dramatic, Brown will be hosting a home playoff series for the first time since 2013. Union, RPI, and Dartmouth would all have to overtake us to bounce us out of the home ice picture. We have a head-to-head with Dartmouth Saturday, so we have some control over our fate in that regard.

It’s unlikely, but we remain in the picture for a bye, too. We’d likely have to win at least three of the last four games, including a win over Harvard.

Comment

Decent read on Tommy Marchin and Brown’s revival over at CHN: https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...To-Success.php

An interesting point, I thought, was when Tommy hinted at a revised recruiting strategy after last year’s class of NHL draft picks who came straight from prep school never really panned out. He mentioned how old the current freshmen are, because they all came from juniors instead of directly from prep school. We’re not going to compete with BU and PC in landing future NHLers at an early age. We need to follow the Quinnipiac/Lowell strategy that got them to be competitive, which focused on NCAA-ready older recruits. I think the past three recruiting classes, as well as what I’ve seen of next year’s so far, indicates the coaching staff has made that adjustment.

Comment

Nice way to bounce back after giving up an early lead at Harvard on Friday. Brown now just needs a point (or a Colgate tie) to clinch home ice next week.

Comment

Working...
                                X