Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Winter Weather 2017-18 where EVERYONE argues.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• She wouldn't last 2 seconds in Michigan.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...842_story.html
    Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
    Patreon for exclusive writing content
    Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• Re: Winter Weather 2017-18 where EVERYONE argues.

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
      She wouldn't last 2 seconds in Michigan.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...842_story.html
      There is a DC transplant at my local brewery and she even admits that when cold weather hits, that region is a bunch of wimps. They just have no clue how to deal with it, so they give up. Inch of snow? We quit. Below 20? We quit. It's hilarious.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
        There is a DC transplant at my local brewery and she even admits that when cold weather hits, that region is a bunch of wimps. They just have no clue how to deal with it, so they give up. Inch of snow? We quit. Below 20? We quit. It's hilarious.
        When that happens in Atlanta or 'Bama, it's sort of understandable. They don't have plow trucks or salt to deal with it. DC has no excuse.

Wasn't it something like 10 below there on the day of Reagan's second inauguration? Insert joke about hell freezing over here.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
          When that happens in Atlanta or 'Bama, it's sort of understandable. They don't have plow trucks or salt to deal with it. DC has no excuse.
          Plows? Rare event to see them. Our highway depts like to pretreat the roads with beet juice.

1" will close schools. 6" shut down the area for 2 days. A foot? Armageddon.

We moved into our current house the day of RR's 2nd. One of the pipes had frozen and the builder put a heat gun to it for an hour. No problems since.
          Last edited by joecct; 01-06-2018, 08:37 PM.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
            Plows? Rare event to see them. Our highway depts like to pretreat the roads with beet juice.

1" will close schools. 6" shut down the area for 2 days. A foot? Armageddon.
            As of 2012 or so, ATL had a total of 8 plows for the entire metro area. Not kidding.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
              As of 2012 or so, ATL had a total of 8 plows for the entire metro area. Not kidding.
              Contractor across the street from me has 2 wheelers and 1 dump plow trucks and a Pickup plow. I have a plow, I'll bet there 20 or 30 pickup plows in my town of 600

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
              I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                Contractor across the street from me has 2 wheelers and 1 dump plow trucks and a Pickup plow. I have a plow, I'll bet there 20 or 30 pickup plows in my town of 600

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                Should have clarified: DOT Plows.

Comment

@nbcwashington: JUST IN: Howard University postponing undergraduate and grad classes for more than a week because of ruptured pipes, ongoing heating issues. http://nbc4dc.com/Pxou8Y7
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

@nbcwashington: JUST IN: Howard University postponing undergraduate and grad classes for more than a week because of ruptured pipes, ongoing heating issues. http://nbc4dc.com/Pxou8Y7
                    Must've been the original installations?

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                      Must've been the original installations?
                      Dunno. Many Baltimore City classrooms were at 40° last week.
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Dunno. Many Baltimore City classrooms were at 40° last week.
                        I remember the time our heaters broke. My mom had gone to the same Catholic school, 30 years prior (it had a different name then). Because it was only cold, and the roads were OK, they didn't cancel - we were allowed to wear coats.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                          They upgraded a few years back when they got hit with a bad ice storm.

If I recall, GaDOT has to also rely on state DNR pickup trucks with plows. They claim that outfitting dump trucks with plows and portable sanding bodies isn't cost effective. Even with the recent ice storms building frequency.
                          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                            They upgraded a few years back when they got hit with a bad ice storm.

If I recall, GaDOT has to also rely on state DNR pickup trucks with plows. They claim that outfitting dump trucks with plows and portable sanding bodies isn't cost effective. Even with the recent ice storms building frequency.
                            I can see it. Now that you mention it, I do remember them upping their numbers, I want to say up to 12-15, but still.....that's just sad.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                              I can see it. Now that you mention it, I do remember them upping their numbers, I want to say up to 12-15, but still.....that's just sad.
                              Yep, you, I, a few friends, and a dozen F250's with BOSS snowplows could win a state wide snow removal contract with the state of Georgia.
                              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                                Yep, you, I, a few friends, and a dozen F250's with BOSS snowplows could win a state wide snow removal contract with the state of Georgia.
                                But....I'd have to be in GA. I'll pass. Not worth it.

Comment

Working...
                                X