X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: SCOTUS 10: Pack the Court!

Originally posted by unofan View Post
    No buts. Voter suppression is antithetical to the American ideals we all supposedly believe in. You don't get to victim blame people for being victims.
    I can and I will. People need to wake the fuk up and vote Democratic or they get what they deserve. I'm not sure what part of that concept people can't understand. I feel no more sympathy for these people than some numbnuts who voted Trump and now saw his health insurance premiums skyrocket or who can't get expanded Medicaid because he voted for a sh !thead like Scott Walker or Paul LePage. You get who you vote for, or who you choose to allow to be elected by sitting on the sidelines.
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
      You're smart enough to understand the difference between never having registered and having an otherwise valid registration rescinded with little or no notice. You're just being maliciously obtuse at this point.
      Exactly, he's also ignoring literally every study that shows the impact of these voter suppression efforts (or he cynically wants that to happen).

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post
        No buts. Voter suppression is antithetical to the American ideals we all supposedly believe in. You don't get to victim blame people for being victims.
        Oh stop already.

Voter suppression was American before America existed.

Who voted from day 1?

This revisionist stuff is funny
        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
          Oh stop already.

Voter suppression was American before America existed.

Who voted from day 1?

This revisionist stuff is funny
          "Ideals" and "history" are actually different words.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
            Everything is so politicized right now. I bet if in today's climate a state legislature proposed requiring someone to re-register if they changed their name, (something that's been required for years) most of you and thousands of others would be screeching about how we're trying to deprive disadvantaged groups of the right to vote.

I don't lobby to make it more difficult to vote, and I think voter fraud is virtually non-existent. That said, I have no problem with what Ohio did to clean up its rolls, and I would not object to a state proposing what I outlined earlier, which is to require re-registration before every election. The fact that I think it would be fine, and even wise, to do that doesn't mean that I'm demanding that it happen or that I'll even be disappointed if it didn't.
            I have no issue if they make same day registration required. It should be easy as heck to re-register.
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
              I have no issue if they make same day registration required. It should be easy as heck to re-register.
              If the goal were truly to make the voter rolls as accurate as possible as close to an election as possible, this would be the obvious solution. But that's not the goal. And SJ knows this.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                I like same day registration and I definitely think states should go to it.
                That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

So if OH doesn't switch to same day registration you're against this or....?

Comment

Originally posted by GrinCDXX View Post
                    "Ideals" and "history" are actually different words.
                    how can there be ideals without a basis? if there is not history to base this, then it is almost fantasyland. a fairy tale even.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                      how can there be ideals without a basis? if there is not history to base this, then it is almost fantasyland. a fairy tale even.
                      For ideals to exist they must have been lived up to at some point? I don't know, that seems like a non sequitur to me.

Comment

Originally posted by GrinCDXX View Post
                        For ideals to exist they must have been lived up to at some point? I don't know, that seems like a non sequitur to me.
                        one can have dreams... but they again can't be something you wistfully pine for and complain when they don't magically appear. also it's hard to attach "we" and "our" as well. because again, they have yet to be.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                          one can have dreams... but they again can't be something you wistfully pine for and complain when they don't magically appear. also it's hard to attach "we" and "our" as well. because again, they have yet to be.
                          Nobody's complaining that they don't magically appear. We are complaining that people who pretend to believe in American ideals actively prevent progress from being made toward them (and in fact push us further away).

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
                            So if OH doesn't switch to same day registration you're against this or....?
                            Of course not.

Look, same day voter registration is basically election day with training wheels. Most of us manage quite nicely without them, but there are always those few.

I personally favor same day registration because heaven knows there is a sizable percentage of the electorate whose ability to function in society barely rises above the level of bean dip. But just because Ohio decides they don't want to be so paternalistic doesn't mean I'm going to criticize them for it.
                            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

I spend most of my time lurking in the Cafe, thought as an Ohio guy I'd add one tidbit to the mix that hasn't been discussed, that being the rules aren't being applied evenly across the state. Purging of the roles in counties with lots of guys named Billy Ray Jim Bob has not been happening with equal frequency as in counties with lots of people with the last name of Jackson. With this law now codified, the party in power (Republican or Democrat) has a weapon to selectively pick and choose who gets to vote. To me, THAT's the issue, not whether some dotard skipped out on voting in the past 3 elections.

Back to the sidelines.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                                Of course not.

Look, same day voter registration is basically election day with training wheels. Most of us manage quite nicely without them, but there are always those few.

I personally favor same day registration because heaven knows there is a sizable percentage of the electorate whose ability to function in society barely rises above the level of bean dip. But just because Ohio decides they don't want to be so paternalistic doesn't mean I'm going to criticize them for it.
                                No, in fact you're cheering them on for making voting harder.

Comment

Working...
                                X