X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Black Bears 2019: Offseason Approaching

Originally posted by AMC View Post
    I still say scheduling two FBS games is stupid. The margin for error basically disappears.
    As I understand it, the road FBS games are all pretty-much about the payday for the FCS teams involved. There's not much for the latter to lose there, no matter how you slice it.

It's pretty clear that the NCAA doesn't factor-in FCS losses to FBS teams in the selection process, but it pays at least a little attention to an FCS team that flips that calculus. I would opine that that the FBS programs risk far more via playing those games, unless it's a total mismatch from the get-go. (Maine hasn't been invited to play a FBS contender, for instance.)

I agree that that's a cynical approach, and that's there absolutely no reason to do it either way, unless you're a Maine and could use the cash.
    Last edited by Fishman'81; 08-28-2019, 08:42 PM.

Comment

Orono High school had 14 players, 6 were freshman on this years football team. They dropped the program for this year. Other schools are playing 8 on 8 football. Football seems to be dying in Maine??
      I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
        Orono High school had 14 players, 6 were freshman on this years football team. They dropped the program for this year. Other schools are playing 8 on 8 football. Football seems to be dying in Maine??
        Saw a segment on sports in general through out the US that todays youth are not interested. And the number has dropped big time in the last few years.

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
          because young alumni have less disposable income, but have a more recent connection to the school. they're probably trying to put younger butts in the seats -- most are full of old geezers that might keel over any minute (at least that's how it was when I gave up my season tickets)
          Thankfully there are still some of us old die-hards around.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
            Saw a segment on sports in general through out the US that todays youth are not interested. And the number has dropped big time in the last few years.
            Yes. It could be that due to football injury awareness parents and kids are less interested in putting themselves in that position.

There are less kids, school enrollments have been dropping for years in maine over all. Less kids playing hockey at youth and high school too.

Comment

Texas will hold on the longest, but I think Football is a dying sport. We know too much about the brain injury risk now.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                As I understand it, the road FBS games are all pretty-much about the payday for the FCS teams involved. There's not much for the latter to lose there, no matter how you slice it.

It's pretty clear that the NCAA doesn't factor-in FCS losses to FBS teams in the selection process, but it pays at least a little attention to an FCS team that flips that calculus. I would opine that that the FBS programs risk far more via playing those games, unless it's a total mismatch from the get-go. (Maine hasn't been invited to play a FBS contender, for instance.)

I agree that that's a cynical approach, and that's there absolutely no reason to do it either way, unless you're a Maine and could use the cash.
                They may not care about the loss to an FBS team, but they sure as heck care about the wins that Maine DOESN'T get.

If Maine has a year with 3 out of conference opportunities (so, not this year, but many years), and schedules two FBS losses, Maine is at best 1-2 headed into the conference slate (yes, I know Maine beat WKU last year, but you can't count on that win). It's generally accepted that 7 wins is your magic number for playoff participation. Getting in with 6 wins is a gift. Now, at 1-2 in the non-conference, Maine basically needs to go 6-2 in the toughest (or second toughest) conference in the country to get to 7-4. And that's gonna be sneaking in without a bye.

If Maine goes 0-3 (say, loses to both FBS teams and plays a tough non-conference opponent like Yale), now Maine has to go 7-1 and basically win the CAA.

The FBS teams Maine plays are pretty beatable, in general. But they also pay less. To me, it makes more sense to play a bigger FBS team and get truly crushed, but get more money and schedule another winnable FCS game in the non-conference.

Comment

How far the mighty have fallen! They were 5 years undefeated when I was there.
                  bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                  SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                  All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                  A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

• Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                    Texas will hold on the longest, but I think Football is a dying sport. We know too much about the brain injury risk now.
                    Hard to wrap my head around this when you see top guy hold out because he wants 16 million a season with two thirds guaranteed. And he probably gets it. Equally hard to believe if you tune into an Ohio state or Michigan game on Saturday. I don’t think football is dying at all. Just in Maine but not in most southern areas and Midwest. Go check on Pats tickets and tell me that football is dying.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
                      Hard to wrap my head around this when you see top guy hold out because he wants 16 million a season with two thirds guaranteed. And he probably gets it. Equally hard to believe if you tune into an Ohio state or Michigan game on Saturday. I don’t think football is dying at all. Just in Maine but not in most southern areas and Midwest. Go check on Pats tickets and tell me that football is dying.
                      LA Times

Leading the decline was another drop in football participation, with 11-man football dropping by 30,829 to 1,006,013, the lowest mark since the 1999-2000 school year. It’s the fifth consecutive year of declining football participation.

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
                        They may not care about the loss to an FBS team, but they sure as heck care about the wins that Maine DOESN'T get.

If Maine has a year with 3 out of conference opportunities (so, not this year, but many years), and schedules two FBS losses, Maine is at best 1-2 headed into the conference slate (yes, I know Maine beat WKU last year, but you can't count on that win). It's generally accepted that 7 wins is your magic number for playoff participation. Getting in with 6 wins is a gift. Now, at 1-2 in the non-conference, Maine basically needs to go 6-2 in the toughest (or second toughest) conference in the country to get to 7-4. And that's gonna be sneaking in without a bye.

If Maine goes 0-3 (say, loses to both FBS teams and plays a tough non-conference opponent like Yale), now Maine has to go 7-1 and basically win the CAA.

The FBS teams Maine plays are pretty beatable, in general. But they also pay less. To me, it makes more sense to play a bigger FBS team and get truly crushed, but get more money and schedule another winnable FCS game in the non-conference.
                        OK, still saying that that FCS committee doesn't much consider games v. FBS teams, unless the "lesser" team wins.

History bears me out on that one.

Otherwise, the selection crew tends to ignore those games.
                        Last edited by Fishman'81; 08-29-2019, 10:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                          I played HS football in TX, and there were no rules whatsoever in place at that time to avoid head/neck injuries. We were actually encouraged to engage in helmet-on-helmet contact.

I don't have a son, but if I did, I would try to talk him out of playing that game, as much as I enjoy watching Maine play it.

Comment

OK, still saying that that FCS committee doesn't much consider games v. FBS teams, unless the "lesser" team wins.

Comes down to money being paid out to University's that have short falls in their budget for FB.

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                              Ok, well if this is what people really believe then I don’t wanna hear any of this... hey jets suck. Pats rule and others drool. J. E. T. S. Jets just suck. Oh and btw UNH football are ferries.

Ya know this type of stuff. I’m sure you get the idea. If anyone else can remind us of other insults directly aimed at the Jets and UNH we should post it hear so that we have a clear list to avoid.

Like this saying from the most interesting man in the world... I don’t always hate others, but when I do it is F the Jets

Comment

You are missing my point. If Maine loses two FBS games and gets 6 wins on the season, as opposed to losing one and winning another FCS game and getting 7 wins on the season, that gets accounted for. 6 wins = death knell for the playoffs. 7 wins = at large eligible. Play easier non-conference games. Strength of schedule is a non-factor.

Comment

Working...
                                X