Goodbye Enrico!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Eddie Schorr View Post
    Smack from the school that has the gigantic total of one win in the Frozen Four then proceeded to gargle its own balls in the next game yet didn't let that epic choke job prevent it from declaring itself "college hockey's newest dynasty."

Don't look now but it appears as though the national search for your "top 10 job" resulted in a bunch of unreturned calls and a quick offer to the alum up the street at BG who's now giving out signals that he might be staying where he is. You'd better pray that Bergeron says yes; otherwise your AD is about to be coming out of that bathroom holding nothing but his ****.

https://www.toledoblade.com/sports/bgsu/2019/04/04/bgsu-offers-extension-to-hockey-coach-chris-bergeron/stories/20190404025
    Except I’m not from Miami
    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Re: Goodbye Enrico!

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
      I see Ohio State is tied with the Cleveland Browns for wins at the Frozen Four.
      At least Miami hasn't been there more than us.
      BTW, this is going to be the Brown's year!

Comment

• Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
        Except I’m not from Miami
        Fair enough. Point still stands regarding the relative hockey histories of Miami and OSU. We'll see where Miami ends up. I know we can compete in our conference and have a path to the tournament. Jury's out regarding Miami's ability to do that in the NCHC, and the next few years should show whether a new coach turns things around or, conversely, their destiny is to be their conference's perennial twinkie.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
          At least Miami hasn't been there more than us.
          BTW, this is going to be the Brown's year!
          Could be the Browns year!
          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Jeff Cox reporting that Bergeron will leave for Miami tomorrow AM. Bowling Green Hockey (unofficial) twitter account not confirming, but reports that BG Hockey has a scheduled a team meeting for the morning...

* https://***********/jeffcoxsports/status/1113964100181286912?s=21

* https://***********/bgsuhockeysite/status/1113967123070640131?s=21
            Live Free or Die!!
            Miami University '03

Comment

• https://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2019/04/04_Miami-to-Hire-Bowling-Green.php
              Live Free or Die!!
              Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                Jeff Cox reporting that Bergeron will leave for Miami tomorrow AM. Bowling Green Hockey (unofficial) twitter account not confirming, but reports that BG Hockey has a scheduled a team meeting for the morning...

* https://***********/jeffcoxsports/st...181286912?s=21

* https://***********/bgsuhockeysite/s...070640131?s=21
                Wow! After he's finally gotten the ship righted at BG he's jumping said ship.
                I think that's sad and leaves BG with a BIG hole to fill!
                Also, if he is going to be paid the rumored 400K to me it raises several questions. First, with Miami diverting that much money to one coach's salary wouldn't you assume that other sports will NOT get funds they could have had otherwise and will such a gap in the salary of the hockey coach and that of other Miami coaches, would that bring some animosity?
                Second, if Miami pays out 400K will other schools hockey coaches feel they should be worth more than they currently get so in other words will this set a new bar for what college hockey coaches get paid?
                Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 04-05-2019, 09:14 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                  Also, if he is going to be paid the rumored 400K to me it raises several questions. First, with Miami diverting that much money to one coach's salary wouldn't you assume that other sports will NOT get funds they could have had otherwise and will such a gap in the salary of the hockey coach and that of other Miami coaches, would that bring some animosity?
                  Second, if Miami pays out 400K will other schools hockey coaches feel they should be worth more than they currently get so in other words will this set a new bar for what college hockey coaches get paid?
                  Plain Dealer reported Miami's athletic subsidy as 25M. In other words, an in-state student is paying roughly 10% of their tuition to keep the athletic department afloat. Miami, however, is in no way unique in this. It's the case at all of the (non Ohio State) Ohio publics that play D1 football, just a matter of how bad each is. It's scandalous, and I think we're just around the corner from the legislature stepping in and putting an end to the madness. The PD has been lobbying for this for a couple of years. Also, Virginia recently did just that and capped ther percentage of the athletic budget that can be covered with fees and subsidies.

As for Miami. Congrats. They got their guy, though I'd hardly consider being able to lure an alum from a school in a decidedly lesser conference for twice the salary proof positive that they're some type of destination job in the college hockey firmament.
                  Last edited by Eddie Schorr; 04-05-2019, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                    I don't know what the final salary will be - though 400K would surprise me. Close to 400K, and in the Rico neighborhood would not. I don't know what those inside the department will think of the commitment. The football coach will still make (undeservingly) close to 150K more. The men's basketball coach will not be far behind Bergeron (at worst) and received something like a 40% increase over the previous coaches' salary when he signed on two seasons ago. The women's basketball coach makes close to 225K. The baseball coach (despite very limited experience) got the job immediately after his family funded a massive capital campaign for the team - so he has little to complain about (kudos to him though, as despite the circumstances of his hire the team is doing very well). I'm not sure what these other coaches at Miami would really have to complain about...

There will be - I'm certain - a number of Miami football and especially basketball fans who will not be happy as it has been their MO to blame their lack of success on Miami hockey's funding. However, I can ASSURE you that those sports failures have been their own doing. Miami's hockey scholarships are heavily (if not fully endowed), the new arena was heavily funded by private/alumni donations and cost is shared notably with the university as its a multi-purpose facility. Miami hockey is simply well-funded and nearly self-sufficient, despite what fans of other programs would want you to believe.

Say what you want about where Miami is right now, but they play in an elite conference and at an elite level within their sport. They have been nationally competitive and not that long ago. Football hasn't been on that level since the 70's (aside from one year with Ben). Basketball had a one year blip with Wally. The best Football and Basketball can ever really hope to be is the cream of the MAC crop - a sneaky good Mid-Major that no one outside of the die hard fans really cares about (and no one includes MANY Miami alums - the school is not exactly a bastion of school spirit). So if Miami fans of other sports are upset they can deal with it, as far as I'm concerned. If they want their sports to be better than they can open up their check books the way supporters of hockey have...

Hockey spending didn't prevent a massive, brand new indoor facility for the football team or a number of recent renovations at Millet Hall. Those programs simply aren't getting the job done and they have no one to blame but themselves. Finger pointing in hockey's direction is just an excuse and another reason why they haven't had the success they should...
                    Last edited by Dan; 04-05-2019, 10:00 AM.
                    Live Free or Die!!
                    Miami University '03

Comment

Don't take this the wrong way, but I think $400k/yr (if true) feels like somewhat of an overpayment for Bergeron. BG never won the MacNaughton, nor the Broadmoor/Sauer in his tenure. They came very close to at-large NCAA bids a couple other years, but were always outside looking in until this season (and still almost slipped outside the bubble again). They usually struggled in OOC games against relatively mediocre Western or putrid Miami teams.

Obviously he made BG a competitive and respectable team again, and re-energized the program donors, but I guess I just don't get the hype that seems to surround him. Maybe Miami should've taken the time to broaden the search and made Bergeron earn a $400k offer, or maybe I'm dead wrong and he'll have them consistently winning again in the NCHC. Especially if they increase financial commitment to the program as well. Only time (and money) will tell.
                      Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 04-05-2019, 10:42 AM.

Comment

I would like to repeat that 400K is the RUMORED salary. If anyone has any inside info or sees a story published with the amount mentioned please share.
                        My son, a Miami alum, is at the arena frequently for his league hockey and I'll ask him to keep an ear open on what the scuttlebutt there may be.

Comment

When was the last time Bowling Green was good prior to Bergeron? Last NCAA tournament appearance? Can't remember. I think this was an easy choice for Miami even if they had to overpay a little. If he's the right guy it won't be looked at as an overpayment in the years to come. An alum with head coaching experience who turned around a dormant program. And when he left Miami, things started to go south for Blasi.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                            Don't take this the wrong way, but I think $400k/yr (if true) feels like somewhat of an overpayment for Bergeron. BG never won the MacNaughton, nor the Broadmoor/Sauer in his tenure. They came very close to at-large NCAA bids a couple other years, but were always outside looking in until this season (and still almost slipped outside the bubble again). They usually struggled in OOC games against relatively mediocre Western or putrid Miami teams.

Obviously he made BG a competitive and respectable team again, and re-energized the program donors, but I guess I just don't get the hype that seems to surround him. Maybe Miami should've taken the time to broaden the search and made Bergeron earn a $400k offer, or maybe I'm dead wrong and he'll have them consistently winning again in the NCHC. Especially if they increase financial commitment to the program as well. Only time (and money) will tell.
                            I take no offense to this - and for the most part I agree. Miami stated they'd be making a national search and that really didn't happen. I assume that since David Sayler knows little about the college hockey landscape that much of the actual search fell to Steve Cady and the other hockey admins - which makes quickly zeroing in on an alum they know, like and respect unsurprising (it doesn't hurt that he comes with another alum assistant that they know, like and respect either). Bergeron has done a good job for a BGSU program that not only hadn't won much in the years prior to his arrival but was on the verge of failing to exist. It was a complete rebuild from scratch and he's done an impressive job. No two ways about it, IMO. I don't know the salary (or care, honestly) and I have no problem choosing Bergeron - but, yes, I would have preferred he rose to the top of a real search rather than just being the day one choice...

Aside from one poster's claims, I haven't seen anyone make any claims about the Miami job outside of the fact that, yes, its a good job with a lot to offer. As a result, I would have liked to see the national searched they claimed they'd make. I'm not sure how you can call this a national search without checking in with candidates like Dave Hakstol or George Gwozdecky. I don't see much difference in Casey Jones and Chris Bergeron outside of Bergeron being an alum (and you could easily make the case for Jones being more successful). I'd think a guy like Rick Bennett, who has seemed eager to interview (at least), would have been a candidate you'd want to hear from. I can't imagine why you wouldn't want to talk to a young and up-and-coming coach like Grant Potulny. If you do that and Bergeron is still the guy than you can hire him feeling even better about the decision...

But, they zeroed in on their man and they got him. So now we wait and see. I think he is a good coach and I like his chances to at least get Miami back to the home-ice competitive (and sometimes to often times better) mix in the NCHC - as we've seen from Denver, this season, that will often get you into the NCAA Tournament with a shot at advancing (Duluth won the National Title last year with a 13-11-0-0 NCHC record). So that would be hard to complain about. Whether he can actually manage this remains to be seen. David Sayler needs to hope/be reasonably sure this hire will work out - even if he delegated much of the process. His football hire has not been a good one. His men's basketball hire had a good first year, but took a notable step back during his second. His first WBB hire was a disaster, even if his second seems to be a good one. If this hire does not work out, it might be an AD search Miami makes next...
                            Last edited by Dan; 04-05-2019, 11:39 AM.
                            Live Free or Die!!
                            Miami University '03

Comment

@JordanStrack

"Chris Bergeron's new deal at Miami is 6 years for $305,000 per year plus bonuses. I can confirm that BGSU offered him a new deal with a raise plus raises for all of his assistants and bonuses. BG didn't match the money Miami gave him."

FWIW

60K less than Rico
                              45K (at least) less than MBB Coach Owens
                              215K (at least) less than FB Coach Martin

95K less than rumored
                              120K raise
                              Last edited by Dan; 04-05-2019, 12:02 PM.
                              Live Free or Die!!
                              Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                                @JordanStrack

"Chris Bergeron's new deal at Miami is 6 years for $305,000 per year plus bonuses. I can confirm that BGSU offered him a new deal with a raise plus raises for all of his assistants and bonuses. BG didn't match the money Miami gave him."

FWIW

60K less than Rico
                                45K (at least) less than MBB Coach Owens
                                215K (at least) less than FB Coach Martin

95K less than rumored
                                120K raise
                                Thanks Dan! Any word on bonus & incentives?
                                BTW, with how much depth your posts today have had I can't help but wonder if this is your day off from work?

Comment

Working...
                                X