X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: >>> RIT Tigers Offseason: Looking forward to more in 2019-20 <<<

Originally posted by Downstate_RIT_Fan View Post
    I hope Erik makes an immediate impact too.
    Yes I'm happy for him, but he had to sign with the Marlies. Blech!
    Not a Rochester hockey fan favorite by any means.
    I think Tyler Brenner signed his first deal with the Marlies as well back in the day.
    Still very disappointing.
    Can't we all just get along?
    Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
      Yes I'm happy for him, but he had to sign with the Marlies. Blech!
      Not a Rochester hockey fan favorite by any means.
      I think Tyler Brenner signed his first deal with the Marlies as well back in the day.
      Still very disappointing.
      Yup you are correct, Tyler did sign with the Marlies. Anyway I guess we can follow the Walleyes in the ECHL and the Marlies in the AHL for the rest of their seasons to see how the boys do.

I did a quick check of all the rosters of the ECHL and we still have a few players in the ECHL, along with Girduckis names like Kuquali,Skirving, Ruby, Norrish and Powell are some of the names I see on ECHL rosters.

I’m sure I’m missing a few more but the Tigers are well represented in the ECHL.
      RPI Engineers
      RIT Tigers
      ARMY Black Knights

Comment

Bowling Green's coach is leaving the team to go to Miami. RIT has a couple coaches closely affiliated with Bowling Green....could be some folks on the troll boards here might get some good news this spring.

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...ling-Green.php
        RIT

Comment

Originally posted by RIT Winters View Post
          Bowling Green's coach is leaving the team to go to Miami. RIT has a couple coaches closely affiliated with Bowling Green....could be some folks on the troll boards here might get some good news this spring.

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...ling-Green.php
          Very interesting. Going back to his alma mater according to the article. Hope it doesn’t impact our Tigers.
          RPI Engineers
          RIT Tigers
          ARMY Black Knights

Comment

Very interesting. Going back to his alma mater according to the article. Hope it doesn’t impact our Tigers.
            How does this affect RIT? Wayne has a cush job at RIT and a beautiful home in Pittsford... I doubt he would jeopardize that for Bowling Green...
            R I T HOCKEY
            Frozen Four
            Elite Eight
            NCAA Tournament
            2010-2015-2016
            RIP-Mikita Dan Barrows

Comment

Originally posted by Rochester View Post
              How does this affect RIT? Wayne has a cush job at RIT and a beautiful home in Pittsford... I doubt he would jeopardize that for Bowling Green...
              I’m with you mein Freund, I hope the changes at BG have zero impact at RIT.
              RPI Engineers
              RIT Tigers
              ARMY Black Knights

Comment

Originally posted by Rochester View Post
                It's Wilson's alma matar, where he won a national championship as a skater. He also was an assistant coach there for 11 years prior to coming to RIT. After 20 years at RIT, maybe he fancies a change of scenery. Maybe the new direction of the Institute and its support of sports isn't how he wants to ride out his career. Maybe he wants scholarships. He's got a nice house, but rumor has it you can buy houses in Ohio too! Or maybe he loves RIT and would never leave. But you know there's at least a conversation being had behind the scenes now.

I'm sure there's some text messages being sent testing the waters to see if Wilson or Hillsy are interested. For Hills, the allure is clear - chance for him to get a head coaching gig after being an assistant for decades.
                RIT

Comment

To me, the only allure for Wilson to go to BG is that it is his alma mater. The WCHA is pretty close to being the AHA of the west where it's hard to get an at large. Yes they got it this year, but it's hard to do. It's scholarships, but really - that job is only a slightly step up and there will likely be more pressure for him to win there. Coach can pretty much call his shot at RIT for what he has done with 3 NCAA appearances and a frozen four appearance.
                  2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                  2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                  2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                  2010 Frozen Four participant
                  2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
                    To me, the only allure for Wilson to go to BG is that it is his alma mater. The WCHA is pretty close to being the AHA of the west where it's hard to get an at large. Yes they got it this year, but it's hard to do. It's scholarships, but really - that job is only a slightly step up and there will likely be more pressure for him to win there. Coach can pretty much call his shot at RIT for what he has done with 3 NCAA appearances and a frozen four appearance.
                    I agree with you Komey with one small difference...there's a National Championship banner hanging in BG's barn, and Wilson was part of that.

Why did Dave Smith leave Canisius and go to RPI, RPI hasn't sniffed the NCAA in many years, and they are only slightly better than their AHA counterparts, but they have two banners hanging in the HFH. There's a history there, and an alumni that asks a little more from Coach Smith than he would get asked at Canisius. Coach Smith is up to the challenge of trying to turn around that program instead of riding out a career at Cansius. I hope he returns RPI to glory and if he doesn't at least he can say he gave it a try instead of turning them down.

Another thought, if Adam Oates could coach any D1 program (and he wanted to), do you think his alma mater (RPI), where he won a National Championship, would be high on his list? I would think so.

It's all speculation but it does make a great 'hot stove' topic. I mean do you think Jerry York and BC and later on BG would of come to our Brick City weekends without the link to Coach Wilson?

I know down in my neck of the woods, you all know that Coach K of Duke basketball fame was a cadet at West Point. Even to this day there remains a pretty good cross pollination of athletic folks (coaches, trainers, etc.) at both Duke and West Point who have worked at both schools. When the two schools play against each other, at least in my town, you hear about old friends and families getting together to catch up with each other, folks who have moved out of the northeast and now live in North Carolina and are up for a weekend when Duke plays Army in football. I would imagine the coaching community is smaller and tighter than most of us know.

So like I said before I hope the changes at BG have zero impact at RIT, but the ties between the two schools, as Winters pointed out, are indisputable, and if RIT lost any coaches to BG I wouldn't be surprised.
                    RPI Engineers
                    RIT Tigers
                    ARMY Black Knights

Comment

Comment

I did a quick check of all the rosters of the ECHL and we still have a few players in the ECHL, along with Girduckis names like Kuquali,Skirving, Ruby, Norrish and Powell are some of the names I see on ECHL rosters.

I’m sure I’m missing a few more but the Tigers are well represented in the ECHL.
                        I keep a spreadsheet with all former Tigers still playing. I think it's up-to-date. Here's what I have:

NHL - Chris Tanev
                        AHL - Matt Abt, Erik Brown
                        ECHL - Alexander Kuqali, Todd Skirving, Brady Norrish, Myles Powell, Abbott Girduckis

Other leagues - Steve Pinizzotto (DEL), Bobby Raymond (EBEL), Cameron Burt (Slovakia), Jeff Smith (Germany4), Matt Garbowsky (EBEL), Jordan Ruby (SPHL, just sent down from ECHL), Brad McGowan (DEL2), Josh Mitchell (Germany3), Caleb Cameron (SPHL), Danny Smith (Sweden Div 1), Chase Norrish (SVHL), Liam Kerins (SPHL)

Comment

Originally posted by Haaafs View Post
                          I keep a spreadsheet with all former Tigers still playing. I think it's up-to-date. Here's what I have:

NHL - Chris Tanev
                          ECHL - Alexander Kuqali, Todd Skirving, Brady Norrish, Myles Powell, Abbott Girduckis

Other leagues - Steve Pinizzotto (DEL), Bobby Raymond (EBEL), Cameron Burt (Slovakia), Jeff Smith (Germany4), Matt Garbowsky (EBEL), Jordan Ruby (SPHL, just sent down from ECHL), Brad McGowan (DEL2), Josh Mitchell (Germany3), Caleb Cameron (SPHL), Danny Smith (Sweden Div 1), Chase Norrish (SVHL), Liam Kerins (SPHL)
                          Thanks for this. Put them all together and that would be quite the formidable team.
                          RPI Engineers
                          RIT Tigers
                          ARMY Black Knights

Comment

NHL - Chris Tanev

Just double-checked my spreadsheet. Looks like I missed a few...

Max Mikowski (SPHL), Darren Doherty (ACH), Alex Perron-Fontaine (France2), Mark Golberg (LHSAO), Louis Menard (LHSAAAQ).
                            Last edited by Haaafs; 04-08-2019, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Mark Golberg (LHSAO), Louis Menard (LHSAAAQ).
                              Do those leagues count, really? Aren't those the leagues where everyone goes just to watch the fights, or doesn't go and watches fighting highlight videos later?
                              Can't we all just get along?
                              Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Just going to throw this out there from the paper local to BGSU...

https://www.toledoblade.com/sports/b...s/20190407154/
                                RIT

Comment

Working...
                                X