This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BassAle View Post
    I think his point is we are ****ing up the environment with our agricultural practices

with a lower global population, we could sustain ourselves with lower yield more environmentally sustainable farming practices
    To be fair to Alfa it was a very complicated point.
    Originally posted by BobbyBrady
    Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Re: POTUS 45:48: There's Always Barber College

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
      most strawberries are grown along the coast in Monterey and Ventura County, but you are right that area is not irrigated by Colorado river water. Strawberries were a bad example. But it is a fact that if you eat lettuce in the winter, you're likely eating something that was grown in the desert with Colorado River water. Southern California is allocated 4.40 million acre feed of Colorado river water, the largest share of any state and it is used mostly for irrigation. The allocations were based on an unrealistic flow rate too, and now the Colorado River runs dry before it reaches the ocean. It's a $4B industry growing things like lettuce, alfalfa, and cotton somewhere where farming on that scale makes little sense.

It's unlikely you get them from Florida year round. It's seasonal. Florida produces most of their strawberries in winter. California produces them nearly year round and has 4x the acreage. 90% of U.S. strawberries are grown in California.
      depending on time of year, its not uncommon to see them from California (most common), Florida, or Mexico

you might be stupid if you think all the strawberries consumed in Michigan come from Florida

and frankly, if you are not concerned about the global population and it's affect on our planet, you are definitely stupid or in denial
      Re- Lettuce- again, look it up. MOST of the acreage that grows lettuce in California is fed by northern water. Some is desert growing, I don't dispute that. But most of it is in the central valley. Just like most of California ag is.

As for the stupid part- I think it's stupid that Maine gets strawberries from California when Michigan gets non-seasonal strawberries from Florida. Seasonal berries are from in state.

And for global population- I'm concerned, but I'm also seeing the data that 1) areas that have improved economies are declining in births - the EU is really bad on this, but right now, the US birth rate would have us at a declining population. And as economies improve, there's also a decline in birth rate; 2) China is staring a HUGE population problem right down the barrel- and not growth, but HUGE decline. ~50 years of "one child" has had a huge effect- on birth rate (as intended) but also on male-female. If you go an look at the future population in China, it's heavily biased toward the male number- which has HUGE implications if each one of those males can not find a mate. Will other countries step in and send females to China? Dunno.

The data pretty much shows that there will be a peak in world population, and it may happen in my lifetime.

Comment

I think his point is we are ****ing up the environment with our agricultural practices

with a lower global population, we could sustain ourselves with lower yield more environmentally sustainable farming practices
        No ****. Our environment also suffers because we want to build stuff, pull stuff out of the ground, etc- all to make a buck. I'm sure if you go look it up, the need to make a buck has harmed the environment a lot more than population has.

That's not a reason to put a limit on immigration. The system we have in the US, faults and all, is capable of feeding a lot more than our population- it's why one of our leading export items is food. So adding +40M people is more than possible with current farming practices. If we somehow manage to fix that, we can feed even more.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
          As for the stupid part- I think it's stupid that Maine gets strawberries from California when Michigan gets non-seasonal strawberries from Florida. Seasonal berries are from in state.
          Maine has a native strawberry season, but its a few weeks long. I'm positive Michigan gets a fair amount of non-seasonal strawberries from California.

Comment

No ****. Our environment also suffers because we want to build stuff, pull stuff out of the ground, etc- all to make a buck. I'm sure if you go look it up, the need to make a buck has harmed the environment a lot more than population has.

That's not a reason to put a limit on immigration. The system we have in the US, faults and all, is capable of feeding a lot more than our population- it's why one of our leading export items is food. So adding +40M people is more than possible with current farming practices. If we somehow manage to fix that, we can feed even more.
            larger population = more people consuming stuff = more resource extraction and pollution. I'm not sure why you're so adamant that human population growth does not have a negative impact on the environment.

I NEVER said we need to put a limit on immigration. In fact, I've been supportive of a pretty open immigration policy. What I have said is that an economic model that requires constant population growth is unsustainable.

Comment

This was tweeted about 2 minutes after Joe on Morning Joe called him the laziest President that ever was. So, Trump was watching Morning Joe this morning.
              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

**NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Re- Lettuce- again, look it up. MOST of the acreage that grows lettuce in California is fed by northern water. Some is desert growing, I don't dispute that.
                  winter lettuce mostly comes from the desert. Most winter lettuce in California is grown in Imperial County. The rest of the year Monterey county is the largest producer. If you're eating lettuce in winter, you're contributing to the fact that the Colorado River no longer flows into the ocean, since that lettuce you're eating is likely from California or Arizona and is like 95% Colorado River by weight.

The data pretty much shows that there will be a peak in world population, and it may happen in my lifetime.
                  that's a good thing

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post

This was tweeted about 2 minutes after Joe on Morning Joe called him the laziest President that ever was. So, Trump was watching Morning Joe this morning.
                    Someone's awful defensive about his work schedule being released to the world. Or should I say, his lack of work schedule.
                    What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                      You would think the guy who cancelled a WWI cemetery visit because of rain would not draw attention to other people being able to stand up to precipitation.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                      iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                      gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                      Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                      Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                      TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                      DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

If he's not meeting with people, it's hard to see how a non-reader can be working very hard.

Maybe he works on his night time tweet schedule during the day.

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                          You would think the guy who cancelled a WWI cemetery visit because of rain would not draw attention to other people being able to stand up to precipitation.
                          If you want to know why I think Chris Christie of all people has it figured out. He was on Bill Maher and he talked extensively about what Trump did to John McCain during the campaign. Especially the part where he and Jeb talked to eachother via phone and ASSUMED Trump was finished and they were going to fight it out.

That didn't happen.

For some reason unknown to everyone, including me, this guy is given a pass on things that have destroyed political careers in the past. I honestly do not think anyone has honestly been able to figure it out. At least I haven't been able to find a resource that can explain it.

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                            Someone's awful defensive about his work schedule being released to the world. Or should I say, his lack of work schedule.
                            The only people who are not on to Dump's projection are the Dumpies and Dump himself. He and his voters are a traveling demonstration of Dunning-Kruger.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

winter lettuce mostly comes from the desert. Most winter lettuce in California is grown in Imperial County. The rest of the year Monterey county is the largest producer. If you're eating lettuce in winter, you're contributing to the fact that the Colorado River no longer flows into the ocean, since that lettuce you're eating is likely from California or Arizona and is like 95% Colorado River by weight.

that's a good thing
                              Are you sure about those numbers?

http://www.californiaagnet.com/2017/...ing-agreement/ reports a report that 75% of CA lettuce is central coast, which is northern fed, and only 19% is desert- which is Colorado river fed. The central valley is 6%, also north fed. So 81% of CA lettuce drinks norther CA water.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                                If he's not meeting with people, it's hard to see how a non-reader can be working very hard.

Maybe he works on his night time tweet schedule during the day.
                                Easy, if you count watching TV as work.
                                What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Working...
                                X