Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fire Greg Shepherd, WCHA officiating the laughing stock of NCAA Divison 1 Hockey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire Greg Shepherd, WCHA officiating the laughing stock of NCAA Divison 1 Hockey

It was bad all year, then they take it to new levels during the playoffs.

Penalty shot for a BG player with hardly any contact.

I hope the athletic directors and coaches of the WCHA demand a meeting to end his reign.

His department and group of officials is a joke to the NCAA division 1 hockey players.

Go for unpaid volunteers at this point. They could not do any worse.

Re: Fire Greg Shepherd, WCHA officiating the laughing stock of NCAA Divison 1 Hockey

Big Ten reffing is pathetic, too.

Comment

Re: Fire Greg Shepherd, WCHA officiating the laughing stock of NCAA Divison 1 Hockey

100% agree, the reffing is beyond embarrassing, the league should be absolutely ashamed of the quality of the reffing.
      2005-2006: 7-25-6
      2006-2007: 18-17-5
      2007-2008: 14-20-5
      2008-2009: 6-25-7
      2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
        Big Ten reffing is pathetic, too.
        I agree with this as well..

Originally posted by bose301s View Post
        100% agree, the reffing is beyond embarrassing, the league should be absolutely ashamed of the quality of the reffing.
        Shep and his refs have sucked for years. Time to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
          It was bad all year, then they take it to new levels during the playoffs.

Penalty shot for a BG player with hardly any contact.

I hope the athletic directors and coaches of the WCHA demand a meeting to end his reign.

His department and group of officials is a joke to the NCAA division 1 hockey players.

Go for unpaid volunteers at this point. They could not do any worse.
          That's the call you're upset about? How about all the **** after the whistle that went uncalled? Or the hits from behind? There was a hell of a lot of "looking the other way" to keep that game as close as it was.

Comment

Shepherd and his minions have been dogsh#t for a decade+. One of the few benefits of the big ten forming is that Greg and his bro no longer do badger games.

Comment

So if we fire all the officials, where do we pull the replacement guys from? Local PeeWee leagues?

Also, what did the officials do wrong on the plays in question? Were they out of position? Was an interpretation of a rule wrong? Explain to me what they did wrong in detail...

Spoiler: The on-ice officials are fine... 99.8% of fans that ***** in places don't know their *** from a hole in the ground when it comes to officiating. Every single game is broken down on video, guys are constantly observed, critiqued, and graded. This is not only done on a conference basis, but at the NCAA level as well. And yes, these guys are infinitely better then what you or I could do if we were dropped into their shoes. They bust their asses to be at this level.

And for the record, I do know exactly what these guys go through because I'm currently working my way up as an NCAA Baseball official. I also personally know guys working D-1 Football, Baseball, Softball, and Women's Basketball along with people working D-II/III, NJCAA, and NAIA in those same sports in addition to adding Men's Bouncy, Lax, and Wrestling. As a "small college" official, the resources and accountability placed on myself is insane. D-I in any sport takes my level of dedication and goes to 11. But yea, Joe Schmoe on the internets is going to talk like he's Billy Badass on the subject
              It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Fans cry about officials in Mites. They whine about officials in Juniors. They gripe about high school officials. They yell about refs in the minor leagues and they rant and rave about NHL officials. Someone please explain where the WCHA can find officials the losing team won’t complain about.
                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                  Fans cry about officials in Mites. They whine about officials in Juniors. They gripe about high school officials. They yell about refs in the minor leagues and they rant and rave about NHL officials. Someone please explain where the WCHA can find officials the losing team won’t complain about.
                  You are correct. Fans will complain about officials at every level. But I don't think this is just because Tech lost. BGSU was the better team and deserved to win. It is more a case of the inconsistency and the officials losing control of the game. I do not know the details of how he got injured, but I suspect Baylis would not be out for the season if the officials did a better job. The scrum at the end of Game 1 would not have happened.

As for a couple calls that I questioned, they are Polglaze getting 5 +game on Friday night for a questionable checking from behind. From what I saw watching Flo, it appeared that the BG player initiated the contact as much as Polglaze did. I'd like to hear the explanation on that one.

Another call I questioned was the penalty shot on Saturday. I have always been of the understanding that a penalty shot is to restore a lost scoring opportunity. The BG player was able to get a shot off that Jurusik had to make a save on. That to me is not worthy of a penalty shot. A minor was even questionable on that play but I would not have argued one if I was standing behind the bench.

And I'll admit I'm no expert on the subject. I've only spent 20 years officiating (none over the HS and Midget AAA level and not for the last 15 years) so I'd like you to take my comments in perspective and give me a break.

Good luck to the four teams remaining. Even though my favourite team has been eliminated, there is plenty of good hockey to watch in the next few weeks.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by pdt1081 View Post
                    That's the call you're upset about? How about all the **** after the whistle that went uncalled? Or the hits from behind? There was a hell of a lot of "looking the other way" to keep that game as close as it was.
                    You're right, BG are cheapshot artists and hit from behind all weekend.
                    2005-2006: 7-25-6
                    2006-2007: 18-17-5
                    2007-2008: 14-20-5
                    2008-2009: 6-25-7
                    2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

I have friends in CA that are tight with the CHL. While people always complain about officiating, it's really not an issue there. I watch MANY NHL games per week and officiating isn't much of an issue there either.

The NCAA officiating has always been horseschitt, at least what I've seen in the WCHA and now the Big 6 + 1. But the NCAA doesn't care about hockey anyway.
                      "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
                        You are correct. Fans will complain about officials at every level. But I don't think this is just because Tech lost. BGSU was the better team and deserved to win. It is more a case of the inconsistency and the officials losing control of the game. I do not know the details of how he got injured, but I suspect Baylis would not be out for the season if the officials did a better job. The scrum at the end of Game 1 would not have happened.

As for a couple calls that I questioned, they are Polglaze getting 5 +game on Friday night for a questionable checking from behind. From what I saw watching Flo, it appeared that the BG player initiated the contact as much as Polglaze did. I'd like to hear the explanation on that one.

Another call I questioned was the penalty shot on Saturday. I have always been of the understanding that a penalty shot is to restore a lost scoring opportunity. The BG player was able to get a shot off that Jurusik had to make a save on. That to me is not worthy of a penalty shot. A minor was even questionable on that play but I would not have argued one if I was standing behind the bench.

And I'll admit I'm no expert on the subject. I've only spent 20 years officiating (none over the HS and Midget AAA level and not for the last 15 years) so I'd like you to take my comments in perspective and give me a break.

Good luck to the four teams remaining. Even though my favourite team has been eliminated, there is plenty of good hockey to watch in the next few weeks.

I didn’t see a lick of that series but on one hand you said they let the series get out of control, yet you complained they handed out an unwarranted 5 + game... so you wanted them to call things tighter and send the message that safety was important, except for when they did?

And the definition is a penalty shot is awarded when a clear scoring opportunity is lost on a breakaway; I guess maybe that is up to interpretation but I feel like you can lose a clear scoring opportunity and still get a shot off; in other words just bc someone shoots doesn’t mean they now shouldn’t get a penalty shot.

I agree that while everyone complains about officiating, there aren’t just legions of officials that are really good and qualified and fans would want calling the games and leagues from the pros, college, juniors, high school and down to youth are just refusing to hire despite them wanting to officiate. However there may be a great number that are sick of being booed and heckled and swore at and threatened and called out byname on Internet forums. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and can say what they want but the officials you see are the best that league can currently muster up so complaining about them could potentially cause some to quit and weaken the pool.

Just food for thought...
                        tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by bose301s View Post
                          You're right, BG are cheapshot artists and hit from behind all weekend.
                          In other words, "My guy is a tough, physical, hard-nosed hockey player. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie."

How close am I?

Comment

Originally posted by TalonsUpPuckDown View Post
                            In other words, "My guy is a tough, physical, hard-nosed hockey player. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie."
                            Says every hockey fan ever. [emoji23]

Comment

BG is highly penalized. Stats don’t lie. But Tech got 10 power plays this weekend and only converted on one of them. Don’t like how BG is playing? Make them pay for it on special teams.

Tech was outscored 9-4 this weekend and outshot 76-52. Refs are an easy excuse for being outplayed.

I’m consistently baffled that fans expect perfection from part time referees (who are glorified volunteers).
                              Co-Founder/Editor of BGSUHockey.com

Comment

Working...
                              X