Dartmouth BIG Green Hockey: 2017-18 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Dartmouth BIG Green Hockey: 2017-18 Season

BG takes the lead in the series with 4-1 convincing win, by BG standards always up by two goals (save first goal) for the entire game. While BG certainly does not have the skill that Harvard, they do have the "fight"...winning board battles, creating turnovers, blocking shots, etc. You could tell that they frustrated the Harvard team, especially after their 5-3 PP advantage and nothing to show for it. Who woulda thunk it? The fourth line scores as Strong throws a harmless put to the net only to hit a Harvard D's skate and through Madsen's five hole. Then right after that, Kilistoff creates a Walsh turnover behind the net and feeds Warpecha for a beautiful goal. All this Harvard controlled possession but really nothing dangerous, the most was the the begiinning of the game where Z-G had a open net only to miss (do not know if he missed it by himself or it was deflected by a BG guy; I think the latter with ensuing FO in zone). The BG plays a great second period with a 2-0 lead only to extend it on a nice shot from Baker and a nice diving tip pass from Jasiek; Madsen was screened by Donato on this one. In the third, after many PP a 5-3 Harvard gets stymied mostly by blocked shots. Harvard finally scores on a EA late in the game and BG pots an EN to ice it. Nice start and let's close them out tomorrow! Way to go BG!

Comment

Originally posted by BIG Green View Post
      BG takes the lead in the series with 4-1 convincing win, by BG standards always up by two goals (save first goal) for the entire game. While BG certainly does not have the skill that Harvard, they do have the "fight"...winning board battles, creating turnovers, blocking shots, etc. You could tell that they frustrated the Harvard team, especially after their 5-3 PP advantage and nothing to show for it. Who woulda thunk it? The fourth line scores as Strong throws a harmless put to the net only to hit a Harvard D's skate and through Madsen's five hole. Then right after that, Kilistoff creates a Walsh turnover behind the net and feeds Warpecha for a beautiful goal. All this Harvard controlled possession but really nothing dangerous, the most was the the begiinning of the game where Z-G had a open net only to miss (do not know if he missed it by himself or it was deflected by a BG guy; I think the latter with ensuing FO in zone). The BG plays a great second period with a 2-0 lead only to extend it on a nice shot from Baker and a nice diving tip pass from Jasiek; Madsen was screened by Donato on this one. In the third, after many PP a 5-3 Harvard gets stymied mostly by blocked shots. Harvard finally scores on a EA late in the game and BG pots an EN to ice it. Nice start and let's close them out tomorrow! Way to go BG!
      You guys deserved it tonight. You had a great game plan and stuck to it. I will say that we really helped by not showing up to play. I can't understand the lack of urgency unless the team was just too complacent. Whatever, you got our attention. Expect that tomorrow night will be different.

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
        You guys deserved it tonight. You had a great game plan and stuck to it. I will say that we really helped by not showing up to play. I can't understand the lack of urgency unless the team was just too complacent. Whatever, you got our attention. Expect that tomorrow night will be different.
        Thanks Skate79! No gloating over here as I am sure we will be seeing a much better and more desperate Harvard team tomorrow!

Comment

Nice win last night. Tough to play at Bright and win in the playoffs. You guys are on a roll. Good luck.
          COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

Some more random thoughts on last night's big W over Harvard! It was great to see Shoup (although he looked a little rusty with the puck, though should be expected after layoff) and Less back as they were paired together. Good call on the coaching staff as it looked liked that wanted to match up Demler/Rymsha's physicality and edge to Donato's line and they were good. Yau get paired back up with Matthews as these are tough decisions for the staff, albeit and good problem to have as Roth and Han sits! The TREE for the most part were neutralized as Graber put pressure on Harvard early. Make no mistakes he makes that line as he has the most skill and can beat Defenders 1 on 1. since he has the put the most Graber can create for himself or others. The Grind line did their yeoman's work scoring the second goal on a nice forecheck creating a turnover and goal. Buffalo did want he had to do as Harvard chose to go around the perimeter at both EV and PP's. All in all, great TEAM effort and let's continue that MOJO tonight!

Comment

Well we have got a series now as Harvard exacts revenge with a 7-1 pasting of BG. This was not a big surprise as Harvard played like Harvard and their top players Fox, Donato, and Madsen led the way. Like Bothman stated correctly, if they get their PP going watch out and they did tonight. Harvard was clearly the better team, no doubt about it.
              Now for the first five minutes of the game BG came out like gangbusters. ala last night only this time to have Madsen stymie them and then the "penalty". BG Shoup's clearly gets the puck with his stick while diving but his body follow through clips the man. Did they change the rule? Back then if you got puck you were good! After Harvard scored on the ensuing PP on a nice weakside one-timer from ZG from who else Fox, that was the beginning of the end for BG as Harvard scores a minute later on the next shift. With the momentum, Graber (BG's best offensive player) gets called for a Major and Game Misconduct which I thought was excessive. There was a scrum in front of the net as Donato was pushed from behind and Graber turns into him so logically he braced himself with a forearm and stick. I do not believe intent was there as it was a bang bang play. Anyways Harvard scored at least one here but by then the game was over.

Comment

The only good thing about last night's loss to Harvard is that they get to get back on the saddle and play them in less than 24 hours so less stewing on what happened and more on what can they do differently...adjustments if any. Make no doubt about it, Harvard came to play last night. In a previous post, I stated that Buffalo has to "steal" a game for BG to win the series...well here is the perfect opportunity! Buffalo outplayed Madsen in Game 1 and won, Madsen outplayed Buffalo in Game 2...you see where I am going this; it is that simple!

Keys to Victory:

Buffalo, Buffalo, Buffalo; need I say more
                Stay out of the box
                PP need to pot in and finish with a +1 in special teams
                Calling all TREE line, Graber channel that vengeance
                Better D gaps on their outside speed

Ok, enough of the talking and writing...BG do your own on the ice and I will meet you in Lake Placid! Go BIG Green and have fun!

Comment

• Originally posted by BIG Green View Post
                  The only good thing about last night's loss to Harvard is that they get to get back on the saddle and play them in less than 24 hours so less stewing on what happened and more on what can they do differently...adjustments if any. Make no doubt about it, Harvard came to play last night. In a previous post, I stated that Buffalo has to "steal" a game for BG to win the series...well here is the perfect opportunity! Buffalo outplayed Madsen in Game 1 and won, Madsen outplayed Buffalo in Game 2...you see where I am going this; it is that simple!

Keys to Victory:

Buffalo, Buffalo, Buffalo; need I say more
                  Stay out of the box
                  PP need to pot in and finish with a +1 in special teams
                  Calling all TREE line, Graber channel that vengeance
                  Better D gaps on their outside speed

Ok, enough of the talking and writing...BG do your own on the ice and I will meet you in Lake Placid! Go BIG Green and have fun!
                  Good luck Big Green!!!
                  Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Well the streak will continue.Next year we move on to year 39 of no NCAA playoffs. John Lyons was canned as football coach a few years removed from an Ivy League title. Gaudet has won nothing.Attendance continues to drop.Time for a new regime

Comment

BG loses the decisive game to Harvard 4-2! Harvard was clearly the better team again tonight although BG jumped on them early for the third game in a row scoring at the 5 minute mark. But then Yau gets called for holding the stick and Harvard scores and like last night it seemed to jump start them as they controlled play for almost the remainder of the game until BG pulls Buffalo with about 5 minutes to go. BG finally pots one and on the ensuing O zone play Madsen stones a BG player in the between the circles in the high slot with a Grade A chance and that was the game. BG seemed to run of out gas, not a big surprise as they were playing the 6th game in 10 days and thus were running on pure adrenaline and fumes.

Harvard's best players were their best players while the same cannot be said about BG's. The TREE line were neutralized and Buffalo could not "steal" a game ( there were a couple I am sure he wishes he had back). BG cannot hang their heads as they were picked anywhere from 9-11th I believe in the media and/or coaches pre-season polls. BG, you had a phenomenal season!!!

Comment

Sorry you guys lost, looks like Donato was a one man wrecking crew, what did you think of him ? I'm a Bruins fan.
                        It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Good luck to the seniors
                          YALE HOCKEY
                          2013 National Champions

Comment

• Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                            Sorry you guys lost, looks like Donato was a one man wrecking crew, what did you think of him ? I'm a Bruins fan.
                            Yes he and Fox tore us up, especially on the PP. Quite simply put, Donato is an offensive talent that can not only create his own shot but that of others...the best thing about it is that he is the best finisher in college hockey ( also proved that on Team USA in the Olympics). While I think Borgstom and Terry are good. Donato can flat out score. His offense is NHL ready but I am not sure about his 200 ft game but if you score like he can and does ( think Ovie and Kane) who cares about their defense. IMHO I think he is gone (Bruins / affiliate) after this season

Comment

I will be remiss if I didn’t mention the contributions of the following seniors: Corey Kalk, Tim Shoup, River Rymsha, and Devin Buffalo. They will sorely be missed and good luck to them in their respective future endeavors.

Comment

The post-Denver season really encourages me about the future of the team. Kalk is a loss, and he was especially good this past playoffs, but with losing just one forward, but getting Carl Hesler back, that should pay dividends. And that doesn't even factor in any incoming players (won't count any chickens until I see officially who is coming in.) Shoup and Rymsha will be losses, but I was really impressed with Less (all year) and Demler (2nd half of the year especially) in their own zone; if we add any solid blueliners at all the D should be good. I am a believer that Clark is even better in goal than Buffalo when he's on his game--his consistency is what needs to improve. Maybe if he knows he'll get consistent minutes and that the #1 job is his to lose, that will improve on its own.

I know there are naysayers, but I think this Dartmouth team is on an upward trajectory, and should be in the top 4 conversation next year.

Comment

Working...
                                X