Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NEWHA Conference Announcement (Scholarships, OOC Scheduling, Autobid, etc.)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ARM View Post
    Does that occur midweek or is there a bye week for the rest of the field? The former pretty well necessitates that the play-in game is just a bus trip (although we know that the NCAA would prefer that the entire quarterfinal round was just bus trips, so it isn't really new ground.)
    I don't think anything that detailed has even been discussed. As far as I know they were just aware the NEWHA thing was coming and were discussing 8/9 being a potential way to deal with it.

My personal preference would be for the 8/9 game to be played the day before at the 1 seed host. Also if they are going to be seriously discussing additional flights, maybe this won't be an issue ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
    Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
    Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Re: NEWHA Conference Announcement (Scholarships, OOC Scheduling, Autobid, etc.)

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
      I don't think anything that detailed has even been discussed. As far as I know they were just aware the NEWHA thing was coming and were discussing 8/9 being a potential way to deal with it.

My personal preference would be for the 8/9 game to be played the day before at the 1 seed host. Also if they are going to be seriously discussing additional flights, maybe this won't be an issue ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
      This is what they did with the DIII tournament this past March. The 8/9 game between Eau Claire and GAC went into 3OT and then Hamline took advantage the next night.

Comment

My hunch is that instead instead of a play-in game of #8 vs #9 at #1, we'd see unseeded team A vs unseeded team B at seeded team C where both A and B are a bus trip away from C. Hopefully, #5 and #6 aren't jousting for a spot in the quarters while three teams below them are automatically in, but I wouldn't say it could never happen.
        "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Ok, folks. Officially can compete for the women's National Collegiate Championship.

https://www.uscho.com/2019/09/04/new...-19-20-season/

Whose ox gets gored when the Alliance gets seed #8 (unless they expand 🤞 to 9)?
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
            Ok, folks. Officially can compete for the women's National Collegiate Championship.

https://www.uscho.com/2019/09/04/new...-19-20-season/

Whose ox gets gored when the Alliance gets seed #8 (unless they expand 🤞 to 9)?
            Do they have an autobid?

Comment

Originally posted by Rightnut View Post
              Do they have an autobid?
              Actually, as of right now -- no, surprisingly, their 2021-2022 autobid is not yet guaranteed:

https://www.theicegarden.com/platfor...not-guaranteed

Comment

Actually, as of right now -- no, surprisingly, their 2021-2022 autobid is not yet guaranteed:

And in fact, sources have confirmed to The Ice Garden that the NCAA is unwilling to allow for more than 50% of the tournament field to be filled with conference champion automatic qualifiers.
                However, increasing the field to nine teams wouldn't change the fact that five autobids would still be more than 50% of the tournament field.

Comment

However, increasing the field to nine teams wouldn't change the fact that five autobids would still be more than 50% of the tournament field.
                  It wouldn't, but they might be thinking they can justify it by saying that it's not *really* a tournament game or something. I don't know. But I know that's where a lot of the talk has been.

Comment

It wouldn't, but they might be thinking they can justify it by saying that it's not *really* a tournament game or something. I don't know. But I know that's where a lot of the talk has been.
                    Like the squeekball playins that don't get the T-Shirt?
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Lol possibly!

Comment

As a single sport conference, I believe you need 2 years with a 5(?) member stable core before you are guaranteed the autobid.

That would (should) make 21-22 the AQ year. Grant - why not?
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

That would (should) make 21-22 the AQ year. Grant - why not?
                          This is the relevant section from the article --

The league is eligible for a bid to the NCAA Women’s Hockey NC (National Collegiate) Championship, but it does not say the league will be granted one. And in fact, sources have confirmed to The Ice Garden that the NCAA is unwilling to allow for more than 50% of the tournament field to be filled with conference champion automatic qualifiers. With the CHA, ECAC, Hockey East, and WCHA champions currently granted an automatic berth in the 8-team NCAA tournament, that makes the 4-out-of-8 autobid slots full. So as it stands right now, the New England Women’s Hockey Alliance is not set to be granted an NCAA tournament autobid when eligible, in the 2021-2022 season.

However, sources have also confirmed that the NCAA Women’s Hockey tournament committee is considering tournament expansion to accommodate for the additional automatic qualifier. An expansion to 10 teams seems to be on the table, however the most talked about possibility seems to be an expansion to 9 teams, with an 8 vs. 9 play-in game accommodating the new NEWHA berth. That would appear to make the most sense, given that the NCAA has been reluctant to expand the women’s hockey tournament much further than its current size given the limited number of schools sponsoring the sport, but also that they are looking to fit in a fifth automatic bid from a conference consisting of both D-I and D-II schools.

Comment

A possible compromise would be that the NEWHA champion does not get an autobid, but does get T-shirts for all.

Comment

Originally posted by Leather helmet View Post
                              A possible compromise would be that the NEWHA champion does not get an autobid, but does get T-shirts for all.
                              Based on how tight the NCAA's purse strings have been kept when it comes to women's hockey, I'm thinking more like one t-shirt to share.

Comment

Based on how tight the NCAA's purse strings have been kept when it comes to women's hockey, I'm thinking more like one t-shirt to share.
                                Tank tops. Sleeves will put you over budget.
                                Russell Jaslow
                                [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                                U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Working...
                                X