UMD 2018-19 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UMD 2018-19 Season Thread

The refs from the UMN/SLU game would be referring players in this game to the DA's office for felony prosecutions.

Comment

Oh, hey! We get audio this period! And the chyron has been changed to the correct visiting team, but it claims that we're in the first period.

Comment

1-1 on a goal scored with 43 players in Sauve's crease.

Comment

After two periods, it's Loren Gabel 3, UMD 1.

Comment

Gabel 4, Bulldogs 1

I guess there is a Canadian player that can get one past Rooney.
            Last edited by Still Eeyore; 11-23-2018, 06:50 PM.

Comment

CU post game wrap...

https://clarksonathletics.com/news/2...-over-umd.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
                Is there video for the game?
                I didn't think so, since there was no link on the UMD site, so I bolted.

But before coming back here I checked CU's site and saw what you discovered...but from what you posted it still sounds like a no go for me for tomorrow's game.

Was the video that crappy? I assume NE's video production is still the gold standard.

Apparently Klein hit the post from reading the CU post game wrap.

How was UMD's shooting, when they had opportunities?

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
                  How was UMD's shooting, when they had opportunities?
                  Honestly, it was hard to tell from the feed. Sauve looked sharp, but I'm not sure how much she was tested.

...but from what you posted it still sounds like a no go for me for tomorrow's game.
                  They have Stretch Internet for those outside the U.S.

Comment

https://umdbulldogs.com/news/2018/11...2-setback.aspx

Comment

UMD has had decent games against the toughest teams in the nation & their reward is to finish out of the top 8. My opinion is weaker teams will make the final 8 because they didn't play as demanding a schedule. It's a crime because it is an argument to dodge tough teams.

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                        UMD has had decent games against the toughest teams in the nation & their reward is to finish out of the top 8. My opinion is weaker teams will make the final 8 because they didn't play as demanding a schedule. It's a crime because it is an argument to dodge tough teams.
                        I doubt that the 2-2 record versus BC and Clarkson hurts UMD all that much. The bigger problem is the 3-6-1 conference record, something teams can't dodge. I get your point, but St. Lawrence is playing roughly the same nonconference schedule (BC x 2, Clarkson x 2, and UM) and has a better record, because so far, it's done better in league play.

I think that Brad Frost has a similar opinion as you do, that it doesn't make sense to schedule too tough OOC when the WCHA is so challenging. Personally, I'd rather that the difficulty was up a couple of notches. And you're correct, that the PWR (which is basically just the RPI at this point) will give more love to teams like Northeastern and Providence that play a much easier slate.
                        "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                          I doubt that the 2-2 record versus BC and Clarkson hurts UMD all that much. The bigger problem is the 3-6-1 conference record, something teams can't dodge. I get your point, but St. Lawrence is playing roughly the same nonconference schedule (BC x 2, Clarkson x 2, and UM) and has a better record, because so far, it's done better in league play.

I think that Brad Frost has a similar opinion as you do, that it doesn't make sense to schedule too tough OOC when the WCHA is so challenging. Personally, I'd rather that the difficulty was up a couple of notches. And you're correct, that the PWR (which is basically just the RPI at this point) will give more love to teams like Northeastern and Providence that play a much easier slate.
                          Having seen SLU play against MN I am unimpressed, I was expecting a much greater challenge than they presented. Judging solely on their performance in NCAA (I have not seen them this year) I am equally unimpressed with BC. But, given the lack of interleague play, it will always be a debate. If I thought I knew enough to play along I would still list Clarkson as #1, all the top teams have losses and the champ is the champ until they get knocked out. But the few games I have seen outside the WCHA lead me to believe I would rather face Northeastern or Provdence in the NCAAs than UMD or BSU. OSU is really screwed because unless they can beat M or W their reward in March is a trip to Madison or Mpls and there are less worthy teams who will have an easier draw

Comment

...But the few games I have seen outside the WCHA lead me to believe I would rather face Northeastern or Provdence in the NCAAs than UMD or BSU. OSU is really screwed because unless they can beat M or W their reward in March is a trip to Madison or Mpls and there are less worthy teams who will have an easier draw
                            The Buckeyes' situation isn't that straightforward, because Columbus to Minneapolis would be a flight.

IIRC, 500 miles is the threshold. UW & Colgate are right on top the cut-point. Going by memories from last spring, rink location put Madison just under the limit, and Hamilton just over the limit. So the Madison scenario is pretty plausible. But if the committee has been even partially sincere that travel costs are the determining factor, there's no particular reason to force a UofM/tOSU Match-Up. Or a game with UMD. Either game, by itself, doesn't save travel money.

If the pecking order stays similar to today, bracket integrity probably won't allow for OSU to be paired with the CHA Champ. But I think it's correct to say that the entire CHA is under the 500 mile threshold.

Comment

OSU is really screwed because unless they can beat M or W their reward in March is a trip to Madison or Mpls and there are less worthy teams who will have an easier draw
                              Keep in mind that Columbus is not within the NCAA's bus radius of either Madison or Minneapolis, so they are not subject to being sent here to avoid a flight. The only reason they might end up at one of those places in contravention of the seeding is if it is necessary to do so in order to free up an eastern team to go to another eastern team. Granted, that's exactly what would happen if the PWR as of right now were used to do the seeding, and sending the CHA champion to Madison. Based strictly upon that ranking, OSU would go to Northeastern and BC would go to Minneapolis.

The kicker, though, is that this would involve giving OSU what is, by the ranking, an easier game, as Northeastern is at #2 and Minnesota at #3.

Comment

Having seen SLU play against MN I am unimpressed, I was expecting a much greater challenge than they presented. Judging solely on their performance in NCAA (I have not seen them this year) I am equally unimpressed with BC.
                                Based on their results this season I have to believe that SLU just had a bad game against the Gophers, likely playing about as poorly as they have all season. Yes, Minnesota was firing on all cylinders, and in terms of puck possession and zone time I think they played one of their better games this season. But still I agree that the Saints were not at all impressive in that game, and when the Gophers scored despite being two players down shorthanded that was pretty much the ballgame.

Meanwhile, I've seen BC online several times this season, and talent wise they are very strong. But as usual the question remains, do they play a schedule that's difficult enough to give them adequate preparation for the NCAA's? I look forward to seeing how they do against a better than expected Northeastern team Tuesday evening.

P.S. Don't mean to hijack the UMD thread, just following the conversation here.
                                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X