Michigan Tech 2018-19: Who Cares What They Name It, We Want It

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 2018-19: Who Cares What They Name It, We Want It

It's time to sadly admit, unless a miracle happens, we are not going to win our division. Darn Mankato. Even home ice for the playoffs is in danger. And we certainly aren't going to get an at large, once again unless a miracle happens. Although an interesting scenario would be us playing Northern in the WCHA playoffs. Those (supposedly) easy points really slipped away from us. I still hope we get home ice as I will come back and get to see us play a couple of games.
    Originally posted by mtu_huskies
    "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
    Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
    Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
      It's time to sadly admit, unless a miracle happens, we are not going to win our division. Darn Mankato. Even home ice for the playoffs is in danger. And we certainly aren't going to get an at large, once again unless a miracle happens. Although an interesting scenario would be us playing Northern in the WCHA playoffs. Those (supposedly) easy points really slipped away from us. I still hope we get home ice as I will come back and get to see us play a couple of games.
      Yes. As Joe said, a reasonable goal is home ice for the playoffs.

For us to have any chance at the WCHA we need to split with BGSU and MSUM, not lose to Northern and LSSU, and sweep the rest of the league.

As usual, our non-conference record killed any hope of an at large bid.

I am hoping the guys are practicing well, play tough D, and live in hard ice for the next 4 weeks. If they do that, home ice should be obtainable. We really need 3 points from the MSUM series, 3+ points from LSSU, a sweep of UAA and NMU. Unfortunately, NMU has a more favorable schedule than we do. We are 5 points behind and have 2 games in hand on LSSU. If everything goes very well for us, 3rd place in the WCHA isn't too much to expect. Unless BGSU has a meltdown, I don't see a realistic way of us catching them.

Comment

Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post
        Yes. As Joe said, a reasonable goal is home ice for the playoffs.

For us to have any chance at the WCHA we need to split with BGSU and MSUM, not lose to Northern and LSSU, and sweep the rest of the league.

As usual, our non-conference record killed any hope of an at large bid.

I am hoping the guys are practicing well, play tough D, and live in hard ice for the next 4 weeks. If they do that, home ice should be obtainable. We really need 3 points from the MSUM series, 3+ points from LSSU, a sweep of UAA and NMU. Unfortunately, NMU has a more favorable schedule than we do. We are 5 points behind and have 2 games in hand on LSSU. If everything goes very well for us, 3rd place in the WCHA isn't too much to expect. Unless BGSU has a meltdown, I don't see a realistic way of us catching them.
        NMU's schedule isn't that much better than Tech's. Here's how I think they compare:

at UAH - tougher than vs UAA
        vs LSSU - a little easier than at LSSU
        at Bemidji - easier than vs Mankato

Say both sweep UAH/UAA, that's a wash. Both split with LSSU. Both split with BSU/Mankato. That leaves a 3 point gap going into the last weekend. Sweep your rival, get home ice. And likely host them the next week.

Comment

I thought our game tonght was one of the Best NCAA hockey games I've seen in a really long time. Jurasik was unconscious. He has made tremendous strides compared to early in the year. What a great Job. I also thought we have made great progress in fixing our mistakes. Not there yet but great progress. MSU was better than they have been recently also. They were so opportunistic.
          If you watched one game in all the NCAA this year, this was the game to watch.
          Congrats to tim Braun on winning trivia.
          Last edited by manurespreader; 02-08-2019, 09:30 PM.
          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Holy Goalie, Batman!!

Comment

If only goalies gave points.
              Originally posted by mtu_huskies
              "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
              Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
              Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

If the defense continues to block shots this well and the goaltending stays at this level, the Huskies could score 9 goals in the rest of the regular season and still go 6-0.

That being said, I'd prefer a few more in the next on the other end.

Comment

Refs just stole the game. Horrible call
                  Go Huskies!

Comment

As if the officials in this league couldn't get worse.

That was H O R S E S H I T

Greg Shepherd should be signing the pink slip right now.
                    Last edited by John J. MacInnes; 02-09-2019, 06:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                      As if the officials in this league couldn't get worse.

That was H O R S E S H I T

Greg Shepherd should be signing the pink slip right now.
                      I thought it was a penalty but I didn't think it was 5 minutes. Given they scored in the first two i'm not sure it was that big.
                      We had the lead in the third twice and ended up losing twice. not good.You have to have a better pk especially vs a team as high powered as mankato. I thought the OT goal was just not that well played on our part and was not that well earned.

I think Hastings did a good job working the refs.

Comment

There was that CFB in the first that we committed, that they let go. The late major could've been making up for that.

Regardless, this team has to figure out a way to score 5x5, or this spiral will continue.

Comment

• Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                          I thought it was a penalty but I didn't think it was 5 minutes. Given they scored in the first two i'm not sure it was that big.
                          We had the lead in the third twice and ended up losing twice. not good.You have to have a better pk especially vs a team as high powered as mankato. I thought the OT goal was just not that well played on our part and was not that well earned.

I think Hastings did a good job working the refs.
                          On the surface, yes it wouldn't have mattered because of when the goal was scored. But you gassed all your guys who killed the penalty for 5 minutes and lost your best defenseman.

It was totally unnecessary on Donahue's part to even attempt the hit. But what they called didn't happen. And that's a recurring theme with WCHA referees.

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                            On the surface, yes it wouldn't have mattered because of when the goal was scored. But you gassed all your guys who killed the penalty for 5 minutes and lost your best defenseman.

It was totally unnecessary on Donahue's part to even attempt the hit. But what they called didn't happen. And that's a recurring theme with WCHA referees.
                            agreed but.. we had got away with a lot of questionable things all game and Mankato had been called and Hastings was talking about getting a break all game. So it was the situation as much as the offense. The refs were looking to give us something. We were just not smart about it.
                            Having said that the GWG was weak and we were standing around during the ot instead of going at them like last night.
                            Plus we had three pp's in the third which were very poorly played with zero sense of urgency.

Comment

• Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                              agreed but.. we had got away with a lot of questionable things all game and Mankato had been called and Hastings was talking about getting a break all game. So it was the situation as much as the offense. The refs were looking to give us something. We were just not smart about it.
                              Having said that the GWG was weak and we were standing around during the ot instead of going at them like last night.
                              Plus we had three pp's in the third which were very poorly played with zero sense of urgency.
                              Hastings was -right or wrong- still pretty wound up about the hit on Spooner last night, so he was really riding the refs all night

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                                Hastings was -right or wrong- still pretty wound up about the hit on Spooner last night, so he was really riding the refs all night
                                Wasn't much of a hit really. Just the stanchion there made it bad. I'm sorry if he got hurt, but i didn't see a penalty.

Comment

Working...
                                X