Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LSSU Lakers 2018 off-season thread

Originally posted by eye4talent View Post
    Coaching isn't the problem. Funding is. At current funding levels, i wouldn't be surprised if LSSU goes to D3 in the near future.
    Ok I'll take the hit. What additional funding do they need? Coaching? I would think a young coach do well at LSSU and they could use as a spring board to a better paying coaching job. Everyone wants better facilities which is something that may be needed. I thought they had additional funds for traveling to recruit players. I don't mean to be snarky but I really am curious as to what else they need funds for.
    Go Lakers!

Comment

Originally posted by eye4talent View Post
      Coaching isn't the problem. Funding is. At current funding levels, i wouldn't be surprised if LSSU goes to D3 in the near future.
      It would cost LSSU just as much money to be in D3 as D1 as the travel costs would be high as well. There isn’t that many teams close enough. Replace many of the hockey scholarships with academic scholarships and the cost savings aren’t there. Coaching salaries would go down but that’s about it.

Comment

I believe you've got to take the entire athletic department to D-3, not just one sport.

EDIT: If I'm reading properly, it's a 4-5 year process, for the entire athletic department. That likely spells suicide for the entire department, including hockey.
        Last edited by Hammer; 02-26-2018, 08:08 PM.
        FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Laker54 View Post
          Ok I'll take the hit. What additional funding do they need? Coaching? I would think a young coach do well at LSSU and they could use as a spring board to a better paying coaching job. Everyone wants better facilities which is something that may be needed. I thought they had additional funds for traveling to recruit players. I don't mean to be snarky but I really am curious as to what else they need funds for.
          The recruiting budget is still at or near the bottom of the league. Good young coach? Grant Potulny got $196,000 at NMU. That’s about $96,000 more than Whitten is getting. Think LSSU will pay that for a young coach looking to move up? Would they give this “good young coach” a suitable budget for quality assistants and a mid-point of the league recruiting, equipment, travel expenditure? Don’t go shopping for. Yugo and expect a Corvette. Don’t even expect a Chevette.

Comment

Where does this idea come from that if a coach isn't being paid the same as other coaches, he just isn't going to be a good coach or work his tail off to make himself and his team a winner. Most people regardless of what they are making take pride in their work and would want to have a winning program to reflect that pride. Jeff Jackson was a great coach and he wasn't making nearly what other schools were paying their coaches. Had Anzalone not had his personality issues he would of not only had been a great coach his whole coaching career but would have moved on to bigger pay checks and bigger programs.

knowledge and the ability to coach isn't dependent on income and every coach out there knows the better the program they create the greater chance they have in obtaining a higher income. If I were a coach at Lake State, I would work my tail off to create a winning program to open up my own future to all the possibilities that come with being a successful Division 1 coach. Sometimes being at the bottom of the income ladder is a great motivator to creating a program that opens up your own future to bigger pay checks and bigger programs to lead.

I have said it and I will say it again . I do not want the coaching staff fired. I think the Lakers do have talent and are bringing in more talented players each season but my question is why are they appearing to be under achievers ? That is where the coaching staff needs to rethink everything from conditioning programs to strength programs to game plans to absolutely everything that happens in games and at practices. Motivation,lack of motivation, players not learning from mistakes but making same bad decisions over and over . The coach is there to make better players , not players making coaches better. The coach is the teacher and the player is the student. People like to learn and I think the players at Lake State want to learn. Whitten needs to be their teacher .

Comment

One thread that I think some people are overlooking is the atmosphere in the locker room when it concerns certain teams. It's easy to blame the coaches, but when you have three classes out of four that has been beaten by the likes of Mankato, Tech, Bemidji, year after year, going into those games are tough.

Whereas we've had some success over Ferris, Northern, the Alaskas, UAH some at home, some away, some both. (and I know I'm missing some teams)

But the soon to be Senior class has won against Mankato, what, once in their careers? Twice? We've generally played them 4 times a year and have lost nearly every one. I don't care who you are, or how confident you are, it's got to be tough getting over those mental hurdles.

But one thing that has been changing is that we're getting players that have had success in both the regular and post seasons. I'm hoping they'll help flip that switch and help out the other guys with how to handle those losses and channel it into something productive for the next night, or the next series.

Can we, as fans, agree on one thing? Let's not talk about going to D3 or the program folding. The fans that are on these forums, and not just Laker fans, represent, what, the top 1% of the fan base for each team? Others may talk about their team down at the VFW over coffee or what have you, but not many use this platform. If we start to give up on the team, what hope is there, really?

I don't care whether or not you like Whitten, Metro, York, Paitson, etc. I'm pretty sure you do like hockey, and Laker hockey at that, so let's try to be a little positive in that sense, yeah?
              LSSU Alumni & Fan.

Still a work in progress, but please join us at the (unofficial) Laker Hockey Blog

Comment

I can agree with lots of fans or Randy Russon's Hockey News North article http://www.hockeynewsnorth.com/ncaa/...te-lake-state/, especially the comment section in listening to the Laker Hockey Show tonight, man does Damon Whitten whine, complain and make excuses. Good lord

Comment

Originally posted by Deman View Post
                  One thread that I think some people are overlooking is the atmosphere in the locker room when it concerns certain teams. It's easy to blame the coaches, but when you have three classes out of four that has been beaten by the likes of Mankato, Tech, Bemidji, year after year, going into those games are tough.

Whereas we've had some success over Ferris, Northern, the Alaskas, UAH some at home, some away, some both. (and I know I'm missing some teams)

But the soon to be Senior class has won against Mankato, what, once in their careers? Twice? We've generally played them 4 times a year and have lost nearly every one. I don't care who you are, or how confident you are, it's got to be tough getting over those mental hurdles.

But one thing that has been changing is that we're getting players that have had success in both the regular and post seasons. I'm hoping they'll help flip that switch and help out the other guys with how to handle those losses and channel it into something productive for the next night, or the next series.

Can we, as fans, agree on one thing? Let's not talk about going to D3 or the program folding. The fans that are on these forums, and not just Laker fans, represent, what, the top 1% of the fan base for each team? Others may talk about their team down at the VFW over coffee or what have you, but not many use this platform. If we start to give up on the team, what hope is there, really?

I don't care whether or not you like Whitten, Metro, York, Paitson, etc. I'm pretty sure you do like hockey, and Laker hockey at that, so let's try to be a little positive in that sense, yeah?
                  Unfortunately there are a number of posters on here that will likely never be happy with Damon Whitten as the Lakers coach. They fall in two groups. There are those that were bummed out by the firing of Jim Roque and still haven't been able to get completely over it. And there are those who thought that Roque needed to be fired but were unhappy with the selection of Damon Whitten as the new coach (and indeed the selection process itself). We see very little positivity from those posters and that will probably continue unless the Lakers start winning a lot more games starting with next season.

Comment

Originally posted by Truth Serum View Post
                    I can agree with lots of fans or Randy Russon's Hockey News North article http://www.hockeynewsnorth.com/ncaa/...te-lake-state/, especially the comment section in listening to the Laker Hockey Show tonight, man does Damon Whitten whine, complain and make excuses. Good lord
                    How many of those comments were from you and your friends?

Comment

Originally posted by Truth Serum View Post
                      When he was at UAA he was also known as a whiner. It's followed him around I guess.
                      Originally Posted by aparch
                      I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

I wonder what Damon thinks of Randy Russon?
                        LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
                          I wonder what Damon thinks of Randy Russon?
                          Kinda makes you wonder if they had a falling out a year or so ago. As Deman said, Randy's coverage of the Lakers has been pretty much nonexistent this season up until now.

Comment

Originally posted by sm2pk View Post
                            Where does this idea come from that if a coach isn't being paid the same as other coaches, he just isn't going to be a good coach or work his tail off to make himself and his team a winner. Most people regardless of what they are making take pride in their work and would want to have a winning program to reflect that pride. Jeff Jackson was a great coach and he wasn't making nearly what other schools were paying their coaches. Had Anzalone not had his personality issues he would of not only had been a great coach his whole coaching career but would have moved on to bigger pay checks and bigger programs.

knowledge and the ability to coach isn't dependent on income and every coach out there knows the better the program they create the greater chance they have in obtaining a higher income. If I were a coach at Lake State, I would work my tail off to create a winning program to open up my own future to all the possibilities that come with being a successful Division 1 coach. Sometimes being at the bottom of the income ladder is a great motivator to creating a program that opens up your own future to bigger pay checks and bigger programs to lead.

I have said it and I will say it again . I do not want the coaching staff fired. I think the Lakers do have talent and are bringing in more talented players each season but my question is why are they appearing to be under achievers ? That is where the coaching staff needs to rethink everything from conditioning programs to strength programs to game plans to absolutely everything that happens in games and at practices. Motivation,lack of motivation, players not learning from mistakes but making same bad decisions over and over . The coach is there to make better players , not players making coaches better. The coach is the teacher and the player is the student. People like to learn and I think the players at Lake State want to learn. Whitten needs to be their teacher .
                            Higher salaries attract stronger candidates. Why would a good USHL coach take a pay cut to come here and not be given the tools to win? It’s career suicide. You’re better off in Dubuque or Sioux Falls than you are here.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
                              When he was at UAA he was also known as a whiner. It's followed him around I guess.
                              Many people are turned off by it, you can hear it on pretty much any Laker Hockey Show or post-game with Bill Crawford. Almost like this only happens to this team for example, "officials fault, puck luck, bad bounces, players leaving early, injuries, long road trips, officials, bad calls" and that's just on one show I'm surprised the league hasn't had more to say about it, especially when he whines about officials. Take ownership, chum.

43-90-18 in 4 years, trending downward and the bottom 5 in all of college hockey. The only thing that has improved, or I should say multiplied is the excuses, and many fans aren't buying it, as seen in the attendance figures this season.
                              Last edited by Truth Serum; 02-28-2018, 06:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                                Kinda makes you wonder if they had a falling out a year or so ago. As Deman said, Randy's coverage of the Lakers has been pretty much nonexistent this season up until now.
                                I've rarely, if ever, seen Lakers coverage from Russon. Reading his material, I never see quotes, which leads me to believe he doesn't get out from behind the desk much or call coaches up. Like Deman said, his coverage of Midget over there is pretty good, but anything on this side of the river is not a priority.

Brad Coccimiglio from SooToday does more Lakers coverage than Russon.
                                Go Lakers!

Check out the Laker Hockey Blog, it's good for you! http://lakerhockeyblog.com

Comment

Working...
                                X