Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wisconsin at Minnesota State 1/11 and 1/12

Originally posted by Shootin Muffins View Post
    Alvarez won't schedule Badger vs Mavs because the Badgers are 6-11-3 all time in Mankato..
    No, Wisconsin won't go to places like Mankato (most likely) because they're using their non-conference travel games as poker chips to reel in teams like Boston College, Boston University, Miami, Denver, and Colorado College. It's simple logic and economics.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
      No, Wisconsin won't go to places like Mankato (most likely) because they're using their non-conference travel games as poker chips to reel in teams like Boston College, Boston University, Miami, Denver, and Colorado College. It's simple logic and economics.
      That's not really a big secret. Obviously a bit of sour grapes from the schools being ditched. The athletic department (with Barry as the face) has not been shy about making it readily apparent that they are worried about Wisconsin and Wisconsin only. My only question is whether Denver and CC are really that big of draws for Wisconsin. It seems to me that they aren't, but I also don't follow the attendance numbers of Wisconsin that closely.

I know that there is this belief that the WI's and MN's of the world have the small schools under their thumb, but there is very little reason for schools like Mankato to schedule WI without a return trip. Hockey isn't like football or basketball where they are going to be willing to write a huge check for a small school to come in and not get a return trip. It's just easier for both schools to walk away from each other and not play anymore.
      Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Comment

Originally posted by Bale View Post
        MSU is at 1.5 GAA in the last 10 (since the WI series). 8 of those goals were in the Omaha series.
        Impressive, it looks like we've got a couple scintillating 2-1 hockey games ahead of us. Any live video feed available of the games?
        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

That's not really a big secret. Obviously a bit of sour grapes from the schools being ditched. The athletic department (with Barry as the face) has not been shy about making it readily apparent that they are worried about Wisconsin and Wisconsin only. My only question is whether Denver and CC are really that big of draws for Wisconsin. It seems to me that they aren't, but I also don't follow the attendance numbers of Wisconsin that closely.

I know that there is this belief that the WI's and MN's of the world have the small schools under their thumb, but there is very little reason for schools like Mankato to schedule WI without a return trip. Hockey isn't like football or basketball where they are going to be willing to write a huge check for a small school to come in and not get a return trip. It's just easier for both schools to walk away from each other and not play anymore.
          Wisconsin would rather continue playing long-time rivals in Denver and CC over Bemidji and Mankato. That shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone.

Also, schools like Wisconsin, North Dakota, and Minnesota occasionally will pay schools for one way only trips.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
            Wisconsin would rather continue playing long-time rivals in Denver and CC over Bemidji and Mankato. That shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone.

Also, schools like Wisconsin, North Dakota, and Minnesota occasionally will pay schools for one way only trips.
            That's fair. I guess I'm more surprised that Denver, CC, Miami, et al would be that beneficial to Wisconsin. That's not to say that Mankato or Bemidji would be by the way. I know they occasionally do, but they won't be able to fill their schedules by paying schools like they do now. With a 20-game conference schedule (obviously I'm speaking specifically abotu B10 teams), that's a lot of games to fill up the schedule. My point is that it's not going to be financially viable to pay to fill up that schedule. They are forced to make return trips more often than not. Again, it's not a surprise that they would want to fill their schedule with the BCs and the BUs of the world. Financially, it makes the most sense and all these changes are finanically based. That's not going to stop now. My point was just that it's just as likely that the Mankatos and the Bemidjis of the world are just as likely to walk away from the "no return trips" deals as Wisconsin or Minnesota. It's easier for both sides to just walk away from each other at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
              Impressive, it looks like we've got a couple scintillating 2-1 hockey games ahead of us. Any live video feed available of the games?
              Ha....MSU has been averaging 3.6 goals during that same stretch. Pretty decent office.

I think it's only available on B2.....but the Jack Links Sasquatch is going to be at the game this weekend if that excites you at all.

Comment

Ha....MSU has been averaging 3.6 goals during that same stretch. Pretty decent office.

I think it's only available on B2.....but the Jack Links Sasquatch is going to be at the game this weekend if that excites you at all.
                Instead of messin' with the bull I guess it's messin' with Sasquatch this weekend, then?

I can think of some funny messin' with Sasquatch commercial possibilities that involve hockey. Can you say "boarding penalty"? How about a new twist on goaltender interference? Or, maybe, instead of icing the puck, maybe icing the other team's defenseman?

Comment

Originally posted by Shootin Muffins View Post
                  Alvarez won't schedule Badger vs Mavs because the Badgers are 6-11-3 all time in Mankato..

Nelson is out this weekend and next.. How much impact will that play on the weekend. Nelson soaks up some decent playing time that will have to be replaced.
                  Nelson has seen some good minutes on PP 2 as well..
                  AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

UW's averaging 2.9 goals over their stretch, you got us there.

I wonder if the BFRO will be at the rink to see a real squatch for once, instead of thinking they mighta coulda possibly heard one respond to their pathetic attempts to call them.

Comment

Kerdiles going to get me some fantasy points this weekend or what?
                      GO BU

Comment

That's fair. I guess I'm more surprised that Denver, CC, Miami, et al would be that beneficial to Wisconsin. That's not to say that Mankato or Bemidji would be by the way. I know they occasionally do, but they won't be able to fill their schedules by paying schools like they do now. With a 20-game conference schedule (obviously I'm speaking specifically abotu B10 teams), that's a lot of games to fill up the schedule. My point is that it's not going to be financially viable to pay to fill up that schedule. They are forced to make return trips more often than not. Again, it's not a surprise that they would want to fill their schedule with the BCs and the BUs of the world.
                        Filling UW's future schedule isn't going to be any harder than filling it's current schedule.
                        20 conference games
                        8 games (4H and 4A) as part of Home and Home deals (UND, DU/CC, BU/BC/UNH/ND, NMU/MTU with away games in GB, other top NCHC and ECAC team)
                        6 home only games against primarally ECAC non-ives, Atlantic Hockey, or any other team willing to travel for the paycheck.

Basically it will look very similar to what the current schedule is. Only difference will be trading regular games against BSU, MSUM, SCSU, UAA, and UNO for games against Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Penn State and a top level Hockey East team.

I think in ~5 years, when the cream has risen to the top of the new WCHA and the NCHC has stratified with some clear bottom teams, who UW will offer Home and Home deals to may change. Much of that will depend on the teams that remain in the WCHA not allowing their league to become a western equivalent of Atlantic Hockey with only the autobid making the NCAA tournament on a regular basis.

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
                          Filling UW's future schedule isn't going to be any harder than filling it's current schedule.
                          20 conference games
                          8 games (4H and 4A) as part of Home and Home deals (UND, DU/CC, BU/BC/UNH/ND, NMU/MTU with away games in GB, other top NCHC and ECAC team)
                          6 home only games against primarally ECAC non-ives, Atlantic Hockey, or any other team willing to travel for the paycheck.

Basically it will look very similar to what the current schedule is. Only difference will be trading regular games against BSU, MSUM, SCSU, UAA, and UNO for games against Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Penn State and a top level Hockey East team.

I think in ~5 years, when the cream has risen to the top of the new WCHA and the NCHC has stratified with some clear bottom teams, who UW will offer Home and Home deals to may change. Much of that will depend on the teams that remain in the WCHA not allowing their league to become a western equivalent of Atlantic Hockey with only the autobid making the NCAA tournament on a regular basis.
                          I agree here, especially with the last part. It's crucial to have decent depth at the top of the nWCHA or things get ugly quick; there becomes no benefit to playing a team that can't really help in the pair wise but could definitely hurt.
                          AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
                            I agree here, especially with the last part. It's crucial to have decent depth at the top of the nWCHA or things get ugly quick; there becomes no benefit to playing a team that can't really help in the pair wise but could definitely hurt.
                            I really see the WCHA becoming a bit more like the ECAC. We aren't going to have the scholarship restrictions that AHA have and the majority of the teams are in better recruiting locations. It will take a few years to overcome the initial perception of being a weak conference, but after a while a hierarchy of sorts will play itself out. There will be the top, middle, and bottom just like every league. The thing that the WCHA has going for it over the AHA is that we are all more centrally located and will allow us to still schedule the bigger schools and have it be mutually beneficial.

Comment

Originally posted by mpereira View Post
                              Kerdiles going to get me some fantasy points this weekend or what?
                              I sure hope so. They are winning with him in the line-up (undefeated), but at this point the chemistry between him, Barnes and Zengerlee hasn't been what we've all hoped for.

Comment

This weeks preview if you're bored waiting for puck drop.

Hockey Series Preview: Wisconsin at Minnesota State

Comment

Working...
                                X