This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by FightingFalcons View Post
    There must be some exception to this. Colorado College is D-3 in other sports.
    Colorado College, amongst others, was D1 hockey before the new rule was initiated.

Comment

• Re: New WCHA is dead

Originally posted by aparch View Post
      Anchorage was either able to stop making payments to the WCHA or never had to based on their terms of membership. Fairbanks, on the other hand, was bent over a barrel by the CCHA and had to keep making payments until the CCHA dissolved. There was much teeth gnashing over Anchorage having to make payments once again (or start making payments, I forget which) when the New WCHA was formed.
      Wow, crazy, did not know that.
      CCHA 4 LIFE

Comment

After thinking about this overnight it could be very likely that this is tied to the end of the "oil boom" in Alaska. In the 80s and 90s Alaska was awash in oil funds and this is no longer the case. Anyone agree?
        CCHA 4 LIFE

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Dream No. 2 View Post
          After thinking about this overnight it could be very likely that this is tied to the end of the "oil boom" in Alaska. In the 80s and 90s Alaska was awash in oil funds and this is no longer the case. Anyone agree?
          I think everyone knew that already

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyFanClub View Post
            I think everyone knew that already
            Fair enough
            CCHA 4 LIFE

Comment

As a maverick fan Im not happy about how the school is going about this. I would have felt much better had they had open discussions with those 3 schools about this and given them a bit more time. However Im also mindful that this press release simple states that they are exploring so as far as my public school education tells me that means that nothing is set in stone. Maybe this plays out to be just a motivation tactic like MLB did to the MN Twins in the early 2000s. They threatened to take the team away and all of a sudden we had the support to build a new stadium. I can't speculate of motives because I don't know what the financial burden this is, how this affects players. Im hopeful that there is more to this and that's MSU isn't just throwing them to the wolves. That would not sit well with me. Those 3 teams were killing WCHA teams pairwise and I get that aspect of this but that's not reason enough to throw them out especially since it only hurts your pairwise when you LOSE to them. Don't want your pairwise to suffer then just win, win your non conference games etc. Im sure there will be more to this and Ill be interested in knowing it. If it is that we just dumped them because of pairwise I will not be a happy Mavericks fan. Thats the same crap that happened to us w/ realignment.
              All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity. - Gordie Howe

Minnesota State Mankato Mavericks

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                I'm very disappointed in this announcement. Tech has always done things to support other schools, for them to bail like this is just the worst..
                I agree.
                Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Dream No. 2 View Post
                  Fair enough
                  Looks like the CCHA will return and I hope it does. Which Atlantic Hockey teams will join? The old CHA members...Robert Morris, Mercyhurst, Niagara????

Maybe this move speeds up the process for other schools thinking about making a jump to NCAA D1??? A lot going on...who knows, but interesting.

Alabama should join. The worst part is the Alaska teams, they may be in real trouble, I hope not.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                    Quite a different tone from when then-SCSU President Potter put out a fiery statement about the NCHC, then promptly got on his knees for them.
                    "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                    -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                    Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                    Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                    Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                    Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by MavsFan19 View Post
                      As a maverick fan Im not happy about how the school is going about this. I would have felt much better had they had open discussions with those 3 schools about this and given them a bit more time. .
                      As a fan of any of the 7 teams, as a fan of college hockey, I would not be impressed with the method. Each of the schools always has the right to make changes to benefit their program. But as members of a league (which is essentially a partnership) each of the members has a duty to be honest and respectful to the others. To dump this publicly without any advance notice to the injured 3 is a pretty devious conspiracy. IMHO

Comment

As a former Alaska resident, I’m not at all surprised at this predicament for their hockey programs. The mentality of that state will always leave them struggling to support public entities and moving a DI hockey program into an 800 seat arena is a typical Alaska solution to a problem.

Comment

The writing was on the wall for years. The only people in denial about it seemed to be Alaska fans. Sorry for them but money drives everything in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by bravohankins View Post
                            I know that BG has about zero interest in continuing with the Alaska trips......not just the financial aspect but also what those trips do to the the team the week after. Bergeron talked numerous times about the after effects of Alaska trips and how they really mess you up for two weeks of play fatigue wise.
                            Is this a factor in other sports? Do basketball coaches from the lower 48 complain about how fatigued players are after a trip to Alaska?

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                              JFC...they shoot horses don't they?

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                                Is this a factor in other sports? Do basketball coaches from the lower 48 complain about how fatigued players are after a trip to Alaska?
                                How many other sports play back-to-back games in a sport where collision forces are similar to those of car crashes?
                                Co-Founder/Editor of BGSUHockey.com

Comment

Working...
                                X