Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NHL 2018: When the AI GM is smarter than actual GMs...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
    It's not about the Wild being "outsmarted" it's about the available player pool afforded to Vegas that no other franchise before them had. Good on them for taking advantage, but Bettman can still kiss my arse for allowing it to happen.
    I saw a quote today that I think was a fair statement- that Vegas was given more of a leg up than any other expansion team in any other sport.
    Combine that with some GMs making dumb moves, MAF, and a few guys having career seasons, well, here we are.

Comment

Re: NHL 2018: When the AI GM is smarter than actual GMs...

Originally posted by joecct View Post
      The Heist - Vegas style

@reporterchris: Reminder: The #VGK were given a 2nd-round pick to take Marc-Andre Fleury, Jonathan Marchessault to take Reilly Smith, Alex Tuch to take Erik Haula, Shea Theodore to take Clayton Stoner and a 1st and 2nd to take William Karlsson and David Clarkson’s contract.
      Speedrun - The Process [100%] - NEW WR

kappa
      Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

It's not about the Wild being "outsmarted" it's about the available player pool afforded to Vegas that no other franchise before them had. Good on them for taking advantage, but Bettman can still kiss my arse for allowing it to happen.
        Well, the player pool today is significantly better than any other expansion team had available to them, too.

To compare, realistically, it seems you believe LV should only have had access to AHL roster players.

It's been said, but HARDLY ANYBODY COMPLAINED A YEAR AGO. Hindsight is 20/20, and only now is it a big deal because they are having early success.

Comment

I'm pretty sure anybody mad at Vegas can go suck it.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
            Speedrun - The Process [100%] - NEW WR

kappa
            New route discovered, will update upon completion.
            U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
            Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
            I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
            But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
            Originally posted by Doyle Woody
            Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              A lot of GMs just got brutally embarrassed. I'm looking at you, Garth Snow.
              Thus the title.
              U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
              Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
              I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
              But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
              Originally posted by Doyle Woody
              Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                I'm pretty sure anybody mad at Vegas can go suck it.
                It's not anger at the franchise necessarily it's Bettman. Vegas played the game well but I I'm not going to be awed nor happy about it.

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
                Well, the player pool today is significantly better than any other expansion team had available to them, too.
                The pool was better because they reduced how many players could be protected and there was only 1 franchise choosing from said pool.

Comment

... it's about the available player pool afforded to Vegas that no other franchise before them had. ...
                  A bunch of scrub third/fourth line guys that teams were more than willing to offload and anchor contracts teams were hoping to dump?
                  “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

The pool was better because they reduced how many players could be protected and there was only 1 franchise choosing from said pool.
                    And just about everybody from that player pool that they selected, had essentially a career year.

Karlsson had 9 goals last year. Schmidt more than doubled his point production. Go up and down that lineup, virtually everybody vastly outperformed their previous seasons. Fleury did as he mostly has, same with Neal, but most of the rest played well above an expected level.

Yes, they had some favorable rules in place, but show me anybody with an opinion worth a **** saying Vegas was going to be playing in May from last September. I'll wait.

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                      I saw a quote today that I think was a fair statement- that Vegas was given more of a leg up than any other expansion team in any other sport.
                      Combine that with some GMs making dumb moves, MAF, and a few guys having career seasons, well, here we are.
                      The 90's expansions allowed teams to protect 12-16 players, depending on protecting on one goalie or two. 2017 was 9-10.
                      "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                        The 90's expansions allowed teams to protect 12-16 players, depending on protecting on one goalie or two. 2017 was 9-10.
                        Did they additionally have exempt players from the 90's (1st/2nd year pros, for example)? Honest question.

Comment

I think that’s a pretty decent difference

Comment

Did they additionally have exempt players from the 90's (1st/2nd year pros, for example)? Honest question.
                            Yeah.

The other difference is probably the salary cap. Are a Fleury or a Neal available and/or unprotected if there's no cap like 1991-2000?
                            "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Yeah.

The other difference is probably the salary cap. Are a Fleury or a Neal available and/or unprotected if there's no cap like 1991-2000?
                              Gotcha.

That's also a great point re: salary cap. Additionally, say they added 2 protected slots last year. How many players Vegas DID choose, aren't available in that scenario? I'm not sure that it would change a bunch. Maybe there aren't as many side deals (GM's essentially paying for an extra slot or 2). /shrug.

Comment

Yes, they had some favorable rules in place, but show me anybody with an opinion worth a **** saying Vegas was going to be playing in May from last September. I'll wait.
                                Because it has never been done before? You've seen subsequent posts that detail precisely the advantages they had that previous franchises nowhere came close to having. Like I said - good for them for taking advantage of it, eff Bettman for allowing it to happen in the first place.

Comment

Working...
                                X