This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Travel Part 3: Destination Unknown

Driving on the highways in South Africa is an adventure...and boy can the detours take you on crazy routes
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
      Driving on the highways in South Africa is an adventure...and boy can the detours take you on crazy routes
      Just keep your windows rolled up
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vTE0rL_etM
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I thought the rule in Africa was "do not deviate from the planned route" because a detour is either (1) a kidnapping or (2) through a minefield.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          I thought the rule in Africa was "do not deviate from the planned route" because a detour is either (1) a kidnapping or (2) through a minefield.
          Nah this is South Africa not Central Africa
          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
            I am more worried about the Baboons...
            -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

You're nowhere near Union.
              Cornell University
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Hahaha! When I was a kid (early 70s) we drove thru Longleat Park in England. It was still working out some kinks- I think it was only open a few yrs before we got there. It was a road thru the park where you could see all of the animals wandering. Some sort of monkey- I think rhesus macaques- dismantled a bunch of things on my dad's new Volvo. He bought it from Scandinavia and had it shipped because it was way cheaper. By the time they got finished taking off everything that wasn't metal (windshield wipers, mirror parts, bits of the rubber around the windshield, the windshield washer nozzles, the antennae) it cost him almost as much as he saved to reconstitute it. We thought it was hilarious. He didn't. It didn't end well
                https://www.longleat.co.uk/safari/monkey-mayhem
                https://www.longleat.co.uk/safari

Comment

We got mean mugged by like 12 of them crossing a major highway. It was hilarious cause we saw none every where we were warned about them.

Btw our detour ended up on one of the most dangerous roads in the world. Thankfully we didn't know that while we were driving
                  -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Bulgaria was awesome. Rough itinerary was

Overnight flight Boston -> Amsterdam, then Amsterdam -> Bucharest, Romania.

Arrived in Bucharest Tuesday afternoon and met my friend, we had to wait while he used airport Wifi to do a conference call. Got dinner in Bucharest and then drove south and crossed the Danube/border into the city of Ruse (Pyce in Cyrillic) where my friend is originally from and is staying for a few months while our employer works on sponsoring his greencard (his H2-B is almost expired). We stayed in a short term rental apartment (like Air B&B, but low-tech) near the city center that my friend arranged from one of his friends.

Late start on Wednesday. Met my friend for lunch and then went with one of his friends that is a kayak guide (among other things) to kayak down the Danube. We put our kayaks in at a village downriver from Ruse (we were going to start in the city, but got a late start so we drove to the next village with a good launch spot). We kayaked downriver, stopping at several sandy beaches to swim. The best beach was on an island on the Bulgarian side of the border. Ended at a village that had a restaurant right at the boat launching area. Spent several hours eating/drinking. My son had paddled a tandem kayak with the son of the kayak guide -- they were around the same age so that was fun for him.

Thursday, the kayak guide friend offered to take us on a day trip for 30 Bulgaria Lev (less than $20 US). We went to several "rock monasteries" -- basically monasteries that were built into caves in the side of cliffs. One included 12th century frescos depicting many biblical scenes. We explored a large cave (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orlova_Chuka), and visited the ruins of the medieval town of Cherven (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherven_(fortress)). Our guide dropped us off at a village and we hopped on a train back to Ruse while he drove back to his home in the country (he had stayed with family in the city for the night).

My friend took Friday off from work and we drove towards the mountains, stopping at the town of Veliko Tarnovo to explore Tsarevets Fortress (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsarevets_(fortress)) and have dinner. We continued on to a monastery near the village of Oreshka just north of the Central Balkans National Park. We had rented some rooms at the monastery (they provide basic lodging to travelers -- the rooms consist of to twin beds and a bathroom, and it is very inexpensive).

Saturday we drove to the village of Borima, where the kayaking/tour guide lives on a small farm. My friend is also business partners with him in a small snail-farming operation. We had breakfast (delicious cakes and homemade plum juice) and toured the farm. Later we had a home-cooked lunch and then we all left to visit a hot spring and then go for a hike. The hot spring was an old communist area resort, and has a bunch of abandoned buildings (like a huge old communist-era bathhouse). The only thing that was really still in operation was a swimming pool that is filled with water piped in from the hot springs. We swam for a bit and then continued on to the location of our hike in the Central Balkans National Park. We hiked to the top of a small mountain, passing a hut for hikers about 20 minutes from the summit (if I go back we may to a hut to hut multi-day hike). Then we returned with my friend to the monastery to sleep (after purchasing some food and beer to bring back). My friend had brought a game of Risk, and we played that while drinking beer and eating dried sausages and fresh cheese and tomatoes until 1AM at a table outside at the monastery.

Sunday day we stopped by the farm again, and then started the drive back to Ruse, stopping at another cave and an open air museum (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etar_A...raphic_Complex). We caught the second half of a professional football (soccer) game in Ruse.

Monday we hung out in Ruse and met my friend for dinner. He really wanted me to try horse meat before I left, so he took us somewhere that served "horse meat burgers" -- it wasn't bad. After dinner we took a nap and then got in a cab to drive the 2 hours to the airport in Bucharest for our return flight.

Comment

Cool.
                      Mookie wants to head there while nearby (relatively)
                      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                        My friend is also business partners with him in a small snail-farming operation.
                        Only a matter of time until they're crushed by BIG SNAIL.
                        Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                          Reminds me of my buddy's uncle's experience last year. We helped installing the new jeep bumpers and railings on his Wrangler as he's going to go hunting the next weekend. One week later heard the news he was attacked by a big buck. Luckily he's able into the jeep with only minor scratches.

Comment

Got our summer Japan trip for next years Olympics squared away. It'll be our second visit, so we have a better idea of how to do things.

Stopping in Nagoya, Kyoto and Osaka before spending a week in Tokyo for the games.
                            PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                            Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                            NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Sounds awesome. Sadly, I don't think I'll get to Asia. The wife is to paranoid about becoming patient zero.

Wait, I have been to Asia, and probably will be again. But not that Asia. Israel.
                              the state of hockey is good

Comment

• Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                                Sounds awesome. Sadly, I don't think I'll get to Asia. The wife is to paranoid about becoming patient zero.

Wait, I have been to Asia, and probably will be again. But not that Asia. Israel.
                                But FIFA thinks Israel is part of Europe!
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X