Mercyhurst Lakers 2018-2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mercyhurst Lakers 2018-2019

The Lakers kick off their 20th season tomorrow, so it's time to start up a thread. One change in the coaching staff this year. Beth Hanrahan joined Mike Sisti and Kelley Steadman after the departure of Lou Goulet. Beth played at Providence, and most recently coached at Lindenwood.

The non conference schedule is quite WCHA heavy like last year, including: Minnesota, Wisconsin, Ohio State, and Bemidji. They also play Colgate, Union and Cornell. First up is Minnesota on the road. I believe this will be the first time at Ridder Arena for any of these Lakers, definitely a cool place to play. Last year's non conference schedule resulted in a 3-10-1 record, and included OT losses to Colgate, Minnesota, and Bemidji.

The Lakers return 5 of their top 6 scorers, and both McDonnell and Blair in net, who split time last year. They are pegged to win the CHA in the coaches poll, and the USCHO CHA preview. TIG picked Robert Morris to win the conference. Conference play doesn't start until the third week of the season; more thoughts then.

As for the freshmen you can read about them here: https://hurstathletics.com/news/2017...x?path=whockey

A more diverse recruiting class this year: one Chicago Mission alum, one Pitts Pens Elite alum, a Quebec league player, and two PWHL.

Last and extremely cool in my opinion: Manon Rheaume's niece is on the team. Amazing to think that literally the next generation of former national team players is now playing college hockey.

Looking forward to another great season of Mercyhurst, CHA, and NCAA hockey, and reading the various threads you all post.

Let's go Lakers!

Re: Mercyhurst Lakers 2018-2019

WOW, that is a tough non-conference schedule. Will certainly prepare them well for their league. They gave Clarkson a great game in the NC$$ Quarters last year.
    Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
    And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
    WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
    If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
      The Lakers return 5 of their top 6 scorers, and both McDonnell and Blair in net, who split time last year. They are pegged to win the CHA in the coaches poll, and the USCHO CHA preview. TIG picked Robert Morris to win the conference. Conference play doesn't start until the third week of the season; more thoughts then.
      I really liked Kennedy Blair in net for Mercyhurst last season. She's going to be a brick wall for the Lakers.

I agree with all the predictions for Mercyhurst winning the CHA and getting the autobid to the national tournament. The Lakers are definitely not one of those teams that rely on one or two superstars to carry them through a season. Just please save the lopsided wins for the out-of-conference games.

Comment

Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
        I really liked Kennedy Blair in net for Mercyhurst last season. She's going to be a brick wall for the Lakers.

I agree with all the predictions for Mercyhurst winning the CHA and getting the autobid to the national tournament. The Lakers are definitely not one of those teams that rely on one or two superstars to carry them through a season. Just please save the lopsided wins for the out-of-conference games.
        Agree and we will not take them lightly this weekend. The Lakers could be a top 5 team before the end of the season. Look forward to the game. And by the way Zed, your video was excellent. Give yourself some credit.

Comment

Lakers fall 4-2 to Minnesota. Congrats to Emily Pinto of Mississauga, ON on her first collegiate goal. Emma Nuutinen with the other Laker tally, on the pp. Both unassisted. Kennedy Blair got the start in net.

I didn’t watch this one as the price was pretty steep. Interesting to see that all the games tonight were behind paywalls, including a couple on ESPN+, and including Colgate who used to stream free. Makes me nervous BC will go that route too.

CHA has a streaming package that from what I can tell shows RMU, RIT and Hurst home games. Hopefully the other three are on it too. Watched a couple periods of RMU SLU tonight, looked like what you would expect in a first game of the year, not terrible, not great.
          Last edited by Lindsay; 09-28-2018, 10:04 PM.

Comment

Lakers fall 4-2 to Minnesota. Congrats to Emily Pinto of Mississauga, ON on her first collegiate goal. Emma Nuutinen with the other Laker tally, on the pp. Both unassisted. Kennedy Blair got the start in net.

I didn’t watch this one as the price was pretty steep. Interesting to see that all the games tonight were behind paywalls, including a couple on ESPN+, and including Colgate who used to stream free. Makes me nervous BC will go that route too.

CHA has a streaming package that from what I can tell shows RMU, RIT and Hurst home games. Hopefully the other three are on it too. Watched a couple periods of RMU SLU tonight, looked like what you would expect in a first game of the year, not terrible, not great.
            They look like a very good team. overall I thought they were faster than the Gophers and the created some good chances. Kennedy was solid in nets. It was a fun game. Sorry you couldn't have watched.

Comment

Mercy fought hard, played well. Gophers are a good team and will always give opponents a tough time. As for the BTNplus live stream, I purchased the monthly pass to watch this but was extremely disappointed with the feed.

Every 4 or 5 minutes, the video feed would disappear and the BTN home page would appear. I then had to log in again. ALL GAME !! I think I missed half the game doing this. Anyone else experience this or know what the problem may be?

Comment

CHA has a streaming package that from what I can tell shows RMU, RIT and Hurst home games. Hopefully the other three are on it too.
                Originally posted by slapshot willy View Post
                As for the BTNplus live stream, I purchased the monthly pass to watch this but was extremely disappointed with the feed.

Every 4 or 5 minutes, the video feed would disappear and the BTN home page would appear. I then had to log in again. ALL GAME !! I think I missed half the game doing this. Anyone else experience this or know what the problem may be?
                I was pleasantly surprised by the $4.95 monthly pass on ESPN+ to watch the Penn State/Colgate series. Video quality was excellent, as was the play-by-play announcer.

Having said that, game feeds are routinely a beef with me - price and quality. In a sport that's trying to build an audience, some (most) packages are overpriced and sure aren't going to attract anyone who is still just curious about women's hockey. That CHA package is outrageous.

Comment

Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
                  That CHA package is outrageous.
                  I'm pretty sure the Flotv package for WCHA is even more expensive. I understand the cost, I imagine the schools are more concerned with giving parents an option to watch, and less concerned with growing the game. For myself, I'm happy with the situation, won't watch ooc road games but no big deal. I remember back in the day it was radio streams only, then video that buffered and froze endlessly. If you can believe it, we've come a long way. But obviously not far enough if the BTN stream is still freezing and logging people out every five minutes. Hopefully that works better today.
                  Last edited by Lindsay; 09-29-2018, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                    They look like a very good team. overall I thought they were faster than the Gophers and the created some good chances. Kennedy was solid in nets. It was a fun game. Sorry you couldn't have watched.
                    Thanks for the update. It's ok I missed it, as I will watch Wisco vs Hurst next week. I know the Gopher and Badger faithful won't like to hear it but to me those nightmarish teams are interchangeable.

Comment

What a difference a day makes. Gophers took control from the opening puck drop and didn't allow Mercyhurst a second shot on goal until only about 4 minutes remained in the 1st. On the few quality chances they did give up Sydney Scobee shut the door. Congrats to her and to the entire team for a great effort - and a great result.
                      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                        What a difference a day makes. Gophers took control from the opening puck drop and didn't allow Mercyhurst a second shot on goal until only about 4 minutes remained in the 1st. On the few quality chances they did give up Sydney Scobee shut the door. Congrats to her and to the entire team for a great effort - and a great result.
                        True but I still think the Lakers are a good team. They have great speed, solid playmaking ability and they play the body better than any Eastern team I have seen (within the rules of womens hockey, smart, well done physical play). The Gophers played a perfect game to beat them.

Comment

Thanks for the update. It's ok I missed it, as I will watch Wisco vs Hurst next week. I know the Gopher and Badger faithful won't like to hear it but to me those nightmarish teams are interchangeable.
                          I am totally OK with the Badgers being compared to the Gophers. See my comment on todays laker game, I think they are in the same class, a very fun team to watch. I hate to lose to anyone but I don't feel bad about losing to really good teams who play the game well. Hope to see them next spring

Comment

True but I still think the Lakers are a good team. They have great speed, solid playmaking ability and they play the body better than any Eastern team I have seen (within the rules of womens hockey, smart, well done physical play). The Gophers played a perfect game to beat them.
                            I agree that the Lakers are a good team. They have, after all, been picked to win their conference. But, anytime a team loses 0-5, their opponent didn't necessarily have to play a "perfect game to beat them". I think that was the case today, and I'll just leave it at that.
                            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

https://www.uscho.com/2018/10/04/exp...st-marches-on/

Really nice story on the Lakers. I am as as excited about the talent in the CHA as I’ve ever been. The league gets beat up online by people who know nothing about college hockey and I appreciate this coverage.
                              Last edited by Lindsay; 10-05-2018, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X