Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    Read the decision on SCOTUSblog. interesting. In a quick read through (59 pages) it looks like the justices felt that the Colorado Civil Rights Commission was openly hostile to religion and that was why they went for the plaintiffs.
    How does that make it right to discriminate using religion? That's not interesting, that's a distraction, and makes it even more sad. Slap their hands for being hostile, but don't make that legal. The store is NOT a religion, it's a store that sells stuff for profit. Now they can pick and choose who they deem acceptable based on their religious filter. Is that really the right thing to do?

Comment

• Originally posted by alfablue View Post
      How does that make it right to discriminate using religion? That's not interesting, that's a distraction, and makes it even more sad. Slap their hands for being hostile, but don't make that legal. The store is NOT a religion, it's a store that sells stuff for profit. Now they can pick and choose who they deem acceptable based on their religious filter. Is that really the right thing to do?
      If a murderer goes free on a technicality, that doesn't make all murder legal.

Calm down.

Comment

• Re: Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

SCOTUSBlog's initial reaction on its live blog is that Kennedy is signaling he would side with the State/gay couples in a future case that didn't show evidence of religious animus.

That would be 5 clear votes in that direction, if true. I'm not sure I agree it's that clear, but it would be consistent with his past decisions in favor of gay rights.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
          SCOTUSBlog's initial reaction on its live blog is that Kennedy is signaling he would side with the State/gay couples in a future case that didn't show evidence of religious animus.

That would be 5 clear votes in that direction, if true. I'm not sure I agree it's that clear, but it would be consistent with his past decisions in favor of gay rights.
          Does the fact that Kennedy wrote this opinion offer any hints about any of the upcoming rulings? Would there be any expectation of who would issue the opinion in the gerrymandering case(s) if they were to come down on the side of basic democratic values?

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
            Absolutely the right thing to do. There are plenty of cases where people refuse the right to service, but I haven't heard you ***** and moan about those as much as you do with this. Your argument is about destroying people's belief systems and forcing them onto yours. And you're supposedly the tolerant one...

How about just going to another baker if you don't like what you're getting?

Comment

• Originally posted by GrinCDXX View Post
              Does the fact that Kennedy wrote this opinion offer any hints about any of the upcoming rulings? Would there be any expectation of who would issue the opinion in the gerrymandering case(s) if they were to come down on the side of basic democratic values?
              The only time you can start guessing about who is writing a given opinion is once enough have been written that you can fill in the blanks on who has some left. As a general rule of thumb, they try to divide the majority opinions up equally by monthly sitting. So if, for instance, there's only one left from November and Alito hasn't written one yet, it's a good bet he's writing that one. It's not always accurate (because occasionally votes switch late or a concurrence will steal the majority away), but is as good a barometer as anything we have.

I haven't looked at the data lately to see if we can predict anything like that, yet.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                Absolutely the right thing to do. There are plenty of cases where people refuse the right to service, but I haven't heard you ***** and moan about those as much as you do with this. Your argument is about destroying people's belief systems and forcing them onto yours. And you're supposedly the tolerant one...

How about just going to another baker if you don't like what you're getting?
                It's pretty amazing how WWJD has turned into "hate my neighbor". It's no wonder I don't attend Church anymore.
                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                  It's pretty amazing how WWJD has turned into "hate my neighbor". It's no wonder I don't attend Church anymore.
                  Yup.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                    More crackers for the rest of us!!

a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                      WWJD has gone through periods of hate thy neighbor before -- in fact it's probably been the majority of Christian history.

Love and peace have been revolts against politically-connected Christianity. The perfect example of Christianity in action is MLK. He was a Christian... and so were the racist f-cks he was fighting. That's the difference between transgressive, personal Christianity of conscience and "Moral Major," establishment Christianity which is just another engine of oppression.
                      Last edited by Kepler; 06-04-2018, 11:14 AM.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• You want to discriminate? Let us know, so we can shut you down.

Being bi and trans, I am fortunate that I don't have to call around to see who will make a cake for me.
                        Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                        "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                        Patreon for exclusive writing content
                        Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Interesting piece

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                            Smart, informative piece. Thank you for posting it.
                            Cornell University
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Typical Republican response:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politi...mlJ?ocid=ientp
                              Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                                At least he was honest about what they want, for once.

I'd have at least a smidge of respect for Republicans if they didn't lie, and if they said, "no, it's not about rights or the Constitution, it's about my liberty to associate with people I like and to keep out people I don't."

"Republican: the freedom to hate in public those we hate in private." That's the real party motto and driver of their policies from blacks to immigrants to gays to non-Christians. They should just state it clearly and unequivocally. It is an internally consistent philosophy.
                                Last edited by Kepler; 06-06-2018, 09:30 AM.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X