>>> RIT Tigers 2010-11 - Part II - The Dream is Still Alive <<<

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: >>> RIT Tigers 2010-11 - Part II - The Dream is Still Alive <<<

If Mercyhurst keeps acting like they did last weekend, they might join Canisius on our hated list. At least among the Corner Crew.

Definitely looking forward to traveling up to Canisius though.

As far as AF tickets, according to the hockey FB page Saturday sold out and, as of an hour ago, there were < 150 tickets for Friday left. Going to be a great atmosphere.
    RIT

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
      Really? You didn't respect the extended high level of successful hockey played by the programs/teams at Elmira, Plattsburgh, and Oswego? I did.
      Some of the EC fans, on the other hand... well I won't re-hash all that
      The fans are part of it. Elmira/RIT hatred there was high up - especially being in the same conference, so it's pretty comperable to Air Force in that respect. Plattsburgh had a stretch where they didn't play RIT so I didn't quite consider them a rivalry at that level. Oswego games were always tough. There was a high level of hockey.

Canisius clearly doesn't cut it as a rival - the results simply aren't there. RIT wins a vast majority of the time. RIT-Air Force games are usually in doubt all the way until the end. And when you factor in all the titles in a much tougher league - it has to rank as the top rivalry in the AHA.
      2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
      2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
      2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
      2010 Frozen Four participant
      2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Originally posted by RIT Winters View Post
        If Mercyhurst keeps acting like they did last weekend, they might join Canisius on our hated list. At least among the Corner Crew.

Definitely looking forward to traveling up to Canisius though.

As far as AF tickets, according to the hockey FB page Saturday sold out and, as of an hour ago, there were < 150 tickets for Friday left. Going to be a great atmosphere.
        Mercyhurst goaded RIT into some of those penalties. I don't recall seeing any cheap shots like Canisius does. THAT's more of a reason to hate the Grifs.

Comment

Honestly Canisius doesn't bother me anymore, with Kyle Bush's departure, as well as some of the coaching staff (or at least that's what I remember). It's all historical, and yeah, maybe it's not yet time for them to have lived that down.

Honestly, we've more or less taken up the reigns. We're the Philadelphia Flyers of the AHA. Yeah, we have talent and can win; but we're also spearing guys in the groin and cross-checking to the back of the head after the whistle. It's painful, because as a hockey fan, I hate the Flyers and everything they stand for.

On the Air Force thing; I'm not sure that rivalry is going to persist. They've lost a lot and are soon to lose some more of their best, like our good buddy Jacques Lameroux. I'm thinking RoMo and Niagara are going to become better rivals in the purest hockey sense, and especially Niagara.

That's the trouble with rivalries created based on competition, in a college league: the players change too fast, and the playing level of the teams with them. A rivalry can be here one year and gone the next. We were fortunate in our recovery to the talent we lost last year.
          Last edited by slewwwwwfoot!; 02-03-2011, 05:23 PM.
          "Make-up call, thank you!"

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
            Mercyhurst goaded RIT into some of those penalties. I don't recall seeing any cheap shots like Canisius does. THAT's more of a reason to hate the Grifs.
            I was more referring to their taunting of the corner crew prior to the game (that backup goalies **** eating grin every time he skated past us really stuck with me) and after goals. Not necessarily an on-ice rival, but still a team that I personally hate now.

College hockey is certainly much more fluid in terms of players coming and going, but good programs will typically continue to draw in good talent. It's unlikely we'll see RIT not near the top of the pack anytime soon for this reason. Great examples are our Freshmen this year, as well as Madolora. And that new goalie incoming next year also looks to be a really great player. Once the women move up to Division 1, RIT will be able to offer scholarships for sports which, if they choose to do so, could further improve recruitment.

I like having different kinds of rivalries..kinds where we just hate their guts while skating circles around them (Canisius) and others where we respect them and play our hearts out against them because they are great (AF).
            Last edited by RIT Winters; 02-03-2011, 06:28 PM.
            RIT

Comment

Originally posted by RITShockSquad View Post
              Good article from Fanhouse on Chris Tanev (with mention of RIT):
              http://nhl.fanhouse.com/2011/01/27/c...-with-canucks/
              Originally posted by Chris Tanev
              RIT's a smaller school ...
              I assume he doesn't mean smaller by number of students?

Powers &8^]

Comment

Once the women move up to Division 1, RIT will be able to offer scholarships for sports which, if they choose to do so, could further improve recruitment.
                This is not true in the slightest. RIT would have to move to Division II in all sports (except hockey which could presumably remain DI) to start awarding scholarships.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
                  This is not true in the slightest. RIT would have to move to Division II in all sports (except hockey which could presumably remain DI) to start awarding scholarships.

Powers &8^]
                  I was told that once I school has two division 1 teams it can begin offering scholarships, at least for that sport.

Perhaps Corner Crew hearsay was inaccurate..
                  Last edited by RIT Winters; 02-03-2011, 11:00 PM.
                  RIT

Comment

I was told that once I school has two division 1 teams it can begin offering scholarships, at least for that sport.

Perhaps Corner Crew hearsay was inaccurate..
                    Kind of curious who you heard that from.

Anyway, Canisius, as much as many of us dislike them, did RIT a little favor in beating Robert Morris tonight.

Comment

I was more referring to their taunting of the corner crew prior to the game (that backup goalies **** eating grin every time he skated past us really stuck with me) and after goals. Not necessarily an on-ice rival, but still a team that I personally hate now.
                      If they are paying attention to the Corner Crew, then that means they aren't paying full attention to the game. It means that we are in their heads. It's part of the home ice advantage.

I didn't notice it anyways, so it couldn't have been blatent imo.

Comment

Looks like the forum rolled back some posts...

Anyway - tonight's game was one of the most complete games I've seen us play. We seemed to shake off our bad habit of constant passing but no shots, we had a successful power play, we had incredible PK, and I think the most glaring statistic is we only had 8 penalty minutes.

We could have easily ended it in regulation time if their goalie hadn't been on fire. We had a lot of great opportunities and set ups. If we can come out firing like this tomorrow I think we have a good chance of taking 4 points. With RMU and Niagara both losing already this weekend, we stand to take a commanding lead in the AHA.

All in all, tonight was an absolutely amazing game to go to and one of the most fun to watch of the year.
                        Last edited by RIT Winters; 02-04-2011, 10:49 PM.
                        RIT

Comment

We could have easily ended it in regulation time if their goalie hadn't been on fire.
                          Or if a couple of post ringers had been a fraction of an inch more inside!

4 points this weekend would indeed be sweet and quite a statement in the standings. Let's hope for another good one with the Tigers coming out on top tomorrow.

(And congrats to the women on taking out Elmira!)
                          -M

Comment

One thing I am willing to bet is that RIT gets most of their PIMs on teams that have been gooning it up and taking a lot of penalties themselvesd. Air Force does not do that, so RIT had a game with a reasonable amount of penalty minutes.

That game was one of the best I've seen in a long time for a conference game beffitting the best rivalry in the AHA.

Comment

What a play by Mitchell. He must like playing against Air Force

And thankfully they finally called a penalty when a Tiger got blasted from behind into the boards. It was the freaking 3rd time it happened in the game.

Comment

Originally posted by jflory81 View Post
                                it was the torfing 3rd time it happened in the game.
                                torf!

Comment

Working...
                                X