X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ohio State Buckeyes 2019-2020: Muzzling All Detractors

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
    Thank you.

Good job all around. I really don't have any additional insight to add. But like you, I'm greatly looking forward to seeing the new freshman play, and will form opinions as we move forward.

Kudos to the posters who already have informed opinions on the recruits, before they ever hit the ice for their new teams. I feel like I watch a lot of hockey. But for most of the players, I don't see them play in person until they arrive at the D-1 Level.
    43 days until opening night, and 49 days until Mrs 86 and I hop a plane to Minnesota for the first road games of the season at St. Cloud! Got the countdown going!!

Comment

I have to correct my earlier post regarding this year's team. I looked at the roster today and it appears that Samantha Bouley is no longer with the team. I am not going to speculate on why she left the team or why she was not getting more playing time. Samantha was a quiet young lady who always gave it her best when she did get ice time. I am going to miss seeing her out there. I wish her the best in whatever she does.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post

Back to you, Ahockeydad ... do you have any guesses?
        More of a WCHA fan but curious if the Shattack kid Bink and Gardiner Canadian U18 woman can be a combo like Shirley Curl that Wisconsin had last year.
        Pass the puck

Comment

Originally posted by Ahockeydad View Post
          More of a WCHA fan but curious if the Shattack kid Bink and Gardiner Canadian U18 woman can be a combo like Shirley Curl that Wisconsin had last year.
          Your guess is probably as good as mine. When I made my post regarding the line up, with regard to the incoming players, that information was based on what I have read about them as I have not seen them play in person. It will be interesting to see how the line up shakes out. I can't wait for the season to get going!

Comment

MIC DROP

“Even though I lived in Minnesota, you cannot prepare yourself for that weather.’’

– Nadine Muzerall, Ohio State women’s coach and former Gophers standout player, on playing her alma mater in an outdoor game at Parade Stadium during “Hockey Day Minnesota’’ festivities in January.
            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Pgb, your title was somewhat prophetic. Went over to the WCHA thread. This team is getting zero respect from the rest of the league. Hope the girls are reading it.

In other news, former Buckeye Natalie Spooner is competing on Battle of the Blades this season. Here is a link to vote for her!

https://www.cbc.ca/battlevote/?fbcli...xZrE08j2kiL1xM

Comment

Pgb, your title was somewhat prophetic. Went over to the WCHA thread. This team is getting zero respect from the rest of the league. Hope the girls are reading it.

In other news, former Buckeye Natalie Spooner is competing on Battle of the Blades this season. Here is a link to vote for her!

https://www.cbc.ca/battlevote/?fbcli...xZrE08j2kiL1xM
                Respect is earned

Comment

I believe the players have respect from the teams they play. The Buckeyes will be good again and they will need a bounce back season from Skaggs to shore up the offense.

Comment

This team is getting zero respect from the rest of the league.
                    The league coaches picked tOSU to finish third. What respect are you thinking that the Buckeyes deserve that they aren't receiving? Should they be ranked above either of the teams that played for the title last year in your eyes?
                    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                      The league coaches picked tOSU to finish third. What respect are you thinking that the Buckeyes deserve that they aren't receiving? Should they be ranked above either of the teams that played for the title last year in your eyes?
                      They are where they should be at this point as we guess at who is any good. I think their goaltending is better than UM, but UM is a deeper team overall. Maybe they are a little low in the national preseason, but that is a HUGE crapshoot.
                      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Gotta stake out a middle ground on this one, and partially dissent from '86's conclusion.

There was one problematic post. The poster claimed that the Buckeyes would start losing, then go into "free fall." I see that as simply trash talk, unsupported by evidence. So yes, there's one poster who has a muzzling coming.

But quite honestly that was the only bulletin board material I found. All of the other comments were comfortably within the realm of reason.

Similar to ARM's point, NCAA Wins = Street Cred. Teams recording NCAA wins will naturally attract the most attention in the run up to the next season.

OK, when two particular teams dominate the conversation, I suppose you could say that the rest are neglected -- if only a little. But IMHO, passive neglect & active disrespect are pretty different things. It's not like anyone is referring to the rest of the WCHA as "The Little Five."

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                          It's not like anyone is referring to the rest of the WCHA as "The Little Five."
                          Back in the early '70s when the Big Two, Little Five label was used for Big Ten football, it was dismissive, but it was also painfully true. Ohio State and Michigan did win all of the league's football titles. Since then, teams like Iowa, Wisconsin, and Michigan State have made themselves relevant quite regularly, and first Penn State and then Nebraska joined the fold. So in one sense, it no longer is OSU and Michigan with a gap back to everyone else. But at the same time, there are a lot of teams, Minnesota being one, who haven't competed on the same level as Ohio State in football in many, many years.

I think that you and I are in agreement. Since UMD last won the WCHA in 2010, either Wisconsin or Minnesota has taken the WCHA season and/or tournament every season, so that's part of why the coaches look to those two first. To the Buckeyes' credit, they served up some major whoopings to the Gophers two years ago. If coaches aren't predicting more of the same this year, it is mainly because Minnesota figures to more closely resemble its team from one year ago rather than the one that got owned by the ladies from Columbus.

As you're well aware, on a forum like this, we all have to deal with a certain amount of trash talk. UM has enjoyed more than its share of success, but someone like Timothy is always ready to look out for us and make sure that we retain some humility. We've only lost to BC one time, but TTT will never let us forget that time. Take even that one bit of trash talk that you mentioned as a compliment to the Buckeyes. Notice that poster didn't bother to throw any abuse in the direction of MSU or SCSU. It wasn't that long ago when Potter was coaching your team, it was looking up at BSU in the standings, and it nearly belonged in the same breath as the Mavericks and Huskies.

Good luck to the Buckeyes this season. You have two players on your roster who could easily emerge as WCHA POTY and nobody would be all that surprised. There haven't been many seasons where that has been the case.

Comment

As you're well aware, on a forum like this, we all have to deal with a certain amount of trash talk. UM has enjoyed more than its share of success, but someone like Timothy is always ready to look out for us and make sure that we retain some humility.
                            We were on the same team once, in the Civil War. I've always appreciated what the 1st Minnesota did at Gettysburg.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                              I've always appreciated what the 1st Minnesota did at Gettysburg.
                              Mostly, they died, which seems to have set a bad precedent in your mind.

Comment

Mostly, they died, which seems to have set a bad precedent in your mind.
                                No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was a heroic stand that saved the day! There is no double meaning or backhanded cut against the lads of the 1st Minnesota or Minnesota in general. I have the fullest respect and admiration for all of Minnesota's contributions during the Civil War and all their contributions to National Security. On the sports front, go stand on a thawing lake this spring with cinderblocks chained to your ankles. Bring some food along, it would be sad to see you all starve.

Comment

Working...
                                X