Spartan Hockey 2018-2019 - Preparing for Glory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Spartan Hockey 2018-2019 - Preparing for Glory

Zachary Filak is a 6'0 14-year-old forward playing in the Oakland Jr. Grizzlies program. He has committed to Michigan State for 2023-24.

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
      Zachary Filak is a 6'0 14-year-old forward playing in the Oakland Jr. Grizzlies program. He has committed to Michigan State for 2023-24.
      Filak's a pretty high-end recruit per Neutral Zone (4.5 star), so a great get for Cole:

https://***********/_Neutral_Zone/st...30270558060549

Comment

50 minutes of good hockey last night, then we almost pulled an Ohio State.

Need to stay out of the box tonight. Can't afford to give them six PPs again and expect good things to happen.
        Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post

Need to stay out of the box tonight. Can't afford to give them six PPs again and expect good things to happen.
          I thought we controlled play even strength most of the game. All of those penalties allowed Minny to keep pressure on us offensively. With that being said, the PK did an outstanding job blocking shots.

All around a very solid performance. The KHL line turned in another gem of a game. Boy would it be great if they stuck around for another year.

Comment

Oh, also, with the addition of the penalty kill Window World announcements, a threshold in my mind was crossed and I have become hyper aware of the sheer magnitude of advertisements we are subjected to at sporting events. There is almost nothing that is without a sponsor or features an ad. I know that it brings much needed money into the program but it has become pretty excruciating.

To top it all off, now when our team stands at center ice for the stick salute they have to wait there a good 30 seconds so the promotions and ads can be read before we can resume the post game.
            Last edited by Pirateasaur; 01-20-2019, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
              I guess I'll take that as a compliment. LOL!
              Congrats on the sweep of Minnesota. First sweep of them since 1976 they said!

Comment

• Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                Love it
                Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                  Ha wellll a bit misleading since most of that time the two teams were not playing weekend series’ with each other but a fun stat nonetheless.

A telling stat is that MSU has not swept a B1G team since the 2015-16 season and it was that horrible Wisconsin team. I was listening to the post game radio show and to hear Scott Moore say “sweep for the Spartans” actually took me by surprise.
                  Last edited by Pirateasaur; 01-21-2019, 09:01 AM.

Comment

As for the games, I thought we played pretty well all weekend and had the edge at even strength for probably 5 of 6 periods. We’ve seen this team building off previous years all season and it not showing up in the W column so it’s good the team was finally rewarded with a complete weekend.

Probably one of the KHL line’s more impactful weekends. The game changes when they step out onto the ice. Also, our D have been doing a wonderful job offensively. Osburn especially seems to be taking advantage of his remaining time here and relishing it.
                    Last edited by Pirateasaur; 01-21-2019, 09:02 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post
                      Oh, also, with the addition of the penalty kill Window World announcements, a threshold in my mind was crossed and I have become hyper aware of the sheer magnitude of advertisements we are subjected to at sporting events. There is almost nothing that is without a sponsor or features an ad. I know that it brings much needed money into the program but it has become pretty excruciating.

To top it all off, now when our team stands at center ice for the stick salute they have to wait there a good 30 seconds so the promotions and ads can be read before we can resume the post game.
                      I had the same reaction. It’s a weird sponsorship to begin with because they’re sponsoring the penalty kill, but we have to screw up in the first place. It’s like sponsoring double plays, but only if the first guy got on because of a walk.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post
                        As for the games, I thought we played pretty well all weekend and had the edge at even strength for probably 5 of 6 periods. We’ve seen this team building off previous years all season and it not showing up in the W column so it’s good the team was finally rewarded with a complete weekend.

Probably one of the KHL line’s more impactful weekends. The game changes when they step out onto the ice. Also, our D have been doing a wonderful job offensively. Osburn especially seems to be taking advantage of his remaining time here and relishing it.
                        I’d like to give some praise to Lethemon as well. Gave up 6, but I can’t recall any giant rebounds like what has plagued him this season. Plus he had the first goalie assist in a few seasons.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                          I’d like to give some praise to Lethemon as well. Gave up 6, but I can’t recall any giant rebounds like what has plagued him this season. Plus he had the first goalie assist in a few seasons.
                          I thought Lethemon should have received at least one star. Esp. on Saturday - two of those goals were in no way his fault. Conversely, the D really got involved offensively this weekend and that led not only to 10 goals but a lot more shots. Both Kriegers skated well too.

Comment

• Originally posted by owslachief View Post
                            I thought Lethemon should have received at least one star. Esp. on Saturday - two of those goals were in no way his fault. Conversely, the D really got involved offensively this weekend and that led not only to 10 goals but a lot more shots. Both Kriegers skated well too.
                            The K twins are IMO the most improved so far this year. They looked pretty bad back in October.

Comment

• Originally posted by wsummers View Post
                              The K twins are IMO the most improved so far this year. They looked pretty bad back in October.
                              They did come in younger than we typically see for our first year players. But yes, they were turnover machines at the beginning of the year.

Still keeping an eye on Afanasyev. Wondering who we bring in next season assuming our commits stick around. Afanasyev, Jagger? Maybe Nodler?

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post
                                They did come in younger than we typically see for our first year players. But yes, they were turnover machines at the beginning of the year.

Still keeping an eye on Afanasyev. Wondering who we bring in next season assuming our commits stick around. Afanasyev, Jagger? Maybe Nodler?
                                The 3 recruits you reference - Afanasyev, (Jagger) Joshua, and Nodler - are the likeliest based on being the higher performing F recruits that MSU has in the USHL. The other Fs have barely double-digit points with approx. 30 games under their belts. I'm guessing the reason Cole has delayed announcing his incoming class is that he's 1) trying to get commitments from Afanasysev and Nodler to arrive on campus earlier than planned; and 2) working to improve upon the F pool -- wouldn't it be great to see a flip in our favor in the near future?

Comment

Working...
                                X