This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Not at all. X just hasn't entered into their period of primary influence yet. Let's say they are '63-'83 (they can't cheat by artificially shortening the generation interval and then crying paucity of numbers). That means right now they are 36-56 years old. That isn't even sniffing power.

IIRC this is the first year in which Gen Xers outnumber Boomers. Go X's time is just arriving.

Everything until now is strictly the Boomers' fault. It will be for a while yet because of momentum, like the few months of a new administration really belong to the old one. But X coming into their own now. They are about to be at fault.

Also: Gen Xers aren't that much smaller in terms of a generation of native births. Even though the Boomers were larger they weren't ridiculously larger. And even tough family planning has helped women step off the baby machine treadmill the Silent Generation also had family planning. They even had -- gasp -- abortion. It wasn't legal but they did it all the time.

But if you insist on this BS granfaloon... if you are really going to insist on "generation" as something demographically meaningful then a generational interval should be equal in length to the median age at which a woman has her middle child. That used to be 20 in the 19th century. It moved up to around 25 by the mid 20th century. I suspect right now that means a generation is about 30 years.

The "real" generations are probably, roughly:

98-17 (21) Lost
    17-40 (23) Silent
    40-65 (25) Boomer
    65-92 (27) X
    92-21 (29) Millenial
    21-52 (31) Z

And if that's the case X is now 27-54 years old. Still just kids with no power at all.

But of course generations aren't real. They are labels used for people to sell you sh-t by appealing to your vanity and oppositional identity formation. They're almost as dumb as races. "There's no youth culture, only masks they let you rent."
    The problem with your old man cloud yelling is you don’t take into account how fast technology has moved over the years and how that affects education and how a person grows up.

Using your examples a person born in 1965 might have some similarities in their experience to someone born in 1975, but to say that someone born in 1965 is similar to someone born in 1985 like myself is ridiculous. Heck the gap between me at 1985 and someone born in 1995 is huge, I had a cell phone in my later high school years but it was a Nokia 5100, a 95 kid likely had a smart phone while the 65 and 75 considered it a luxury to have a landline in their room.
    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
    I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
      You might want to look at where some of the big tech firms kept offices. Rochester, MN, was known for two companies until about 20 years ago - Mayo Clinics and IBM. One was founded there, and the other located a giant campus there because of the level of education in that city. Big Blue has since dwindled its numbers in Rochester to just a couple thousand, but it certainly was a big influencer at one point.

Also, MN has between 17 and 19 companies on the Fortune 500 list at any given time, based upon stock prices on a given day. We're far from the dearth of information and tech that you like to think or pretend. We're not North Dakota, South Dakota, or Wisconsin.
      He also doesn’t remember MECC, the creator of the game. I’m not gonna mention what the M stands for...
      I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Re: Movies 51 - Rise of the Frozen Joker: Chapter II: Dark Fate

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
        The problem with your old man cloud yelling is you don’t take into account how fast technology has moved over the years and how that affects education and how a person grows up.

Using your examples a person born in 1965 might have some similarities in their experience to someone born in 1975, but to say that someone born in 1965 is similar to someone born in 1985 like myself is ridiculous. Heck the gap between me at 1985 and someone born in 1995 is huge, I had a cell phone in my later high school years but it was a Nokia 5100, a 95 kid likely had a smart phone while the 65 and 75 considered it a luxury to have a landline in their room.
        Generations have nothing to do with tech. If they were, there would be one generation from 400-1400 AD. Tech is just toys, it doesn't mean anything for human-ness. It's a distraction for children until they become adults by having children.

Generations are about the social-psychology of being raised by your parents' generation -- you get messed up in different ways because of the way your parents are messed up. The Silent Generation was emotionally withholding; they raised the Boomers who were self-absorbed and spoiled; they raised the Gen Xers who were bitter little toads; they are raising the Millenials who will be emotionally withholding again. And thus it resets.

Isofar as a generation means anything it means the scars of the incompetent people who raised you, which were conditioned on the scars of the incompetent people who raised them, and so on ad infinitum.

Or it would if it meant anything but it doesn't. It's Quisp vs Quake to get you to buy sh-t.
        Last edited by Kepler; 09-19-2019, 04:44 PM.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Generations have nothing to do with tech. If they were, there would be one generation from 400-1400 AD. Tech is just toys, it doesn't mean anything for human-ness. It's a distraction for children until they become adults by having children.

Generations are about the social-psychology of being raised by your parents' generation -- you get messed up in different ways because of the way your parents are messed up. The Silent Generation was emotionally withholding; they raised the Boomers who were self-absorbed and spoiled; they raised the Gen Xers who were bitter little toads; they are raising the Millenials who will be emotionally withholding again. And thus it resets.

Isofar as a generation means anything it means the scars of the incompetent people who raised you, which were conditioned on the scars of the incompetent people who raised them, and so on ad infinitum.

Or it would if it meant anything but it doesn't. It's Quisp vs Quake to get you to buy sh-t.
          Technology is the defining human characteristic, how you can dismiss it so casually is perplexing. I mean, technology determines how and where we work, eat, live, play, fight, even how we f-.

Of course, you would also assume there was absolutely no technological advancement for a 1000 years so I shouldn’t be surprised.
          I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post

In the modern day, technology is absolutely driving differences in "generations". I'm a 1983 kid. People born 10 years before me weren't talking to people 1/2 way across the country (and in some cases, around the globe) on a nightly basis in college. Kids born in 1993 have no idea how to function without being "connected" to the rest of the world.

In the grand scheme of things, the Internet Age may very well have a similar effect as movable typeface had in the Middle Ages
            It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
              He also doesn’t remember MECC, the creator of the game. I’m not gonna mention what the M stands for...
              Ha! Came to post the full name and saw your post.

I am an '82 kid. Our Apple IIe computer lab was part of a grant to put technology into the hand of rural school kids and we got to use them starting in 1991. And only the school system, or rich parents, had computers. And even then it was dialup until 2000 or so (unless you were at the school).

I didn't get a cell phone until 2003, three years into college. The fanciest piece of technology in my home was our VCR and DirecTV receiver (and we didn't get DirecTV until '97).

I grew up playing outside. I played county sponsored summer sports where we **** well always had a losing team. I don't fit with the Millenial description fully.

My brother, a '92, does. He grew up with all that technology always available to him. He never knew about dialup. He had a cell phone throughout HS. His summer baseball league never tracked wins or losses. The Internet of Things has always been intertwined in his life.

Yes, generations are just fancy labels to make us feel "good" or sell is sh**, but the dates vary by our experiences. I would absolutely agree that for coasties and large population centers, Millenials start at '80.

For flyover, it depends, but I'd blur it to be closer to 84/85.

I fit more with "Empire Records." My brother is more "Superbad."
              Last edited by aparch; 09-19-2019, 05:41 PM.
              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

What year?
                At worst 8th grade which would be 1980 but I am 99% sure I saw it by 6th. Might have even been prior to using a monitor but rather it was 'seen' on a dot matrix printer.

Comment

I remember when my best friend had the first Apple and playing some Decathlon game. We could play that until the wee hours if not checked. Then an Atari, then...

What will be the next "aha!" tech moment for a generation in which everything is taken for granted?

[edit] That friend implored me to learn Basic language and the next (c something?) coding and at the time I just wanted to play sports and meet girls. He graduated hs early and eventually wrote a real estate program that he sold for millions and is now retired in AZ. I hate him to this day for not being more convincing.
                  Last edited by Slap Shot; 09-19-2019, 07:20 PM.

Comment

I was playing the game in elementary school in 86 so...yeah.

It is funny how out of touch Kepler truly is though. He needs to Google stuff more before he opens his mouth and inserts his foot
                    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                      I was playing the game in elementary school in 86 so...yeah.

It is funny how out of touch Kepler truly is though. He needs to Google stuff more before he opens his mouth and inserts his foot
                      And your point about F500 is huge. You may flyover is but it's quite likely you didn't something unholy or

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                        My favorite story along those lines is the music guy at the last winter Olympics playing that song as the US celebrated. In South Korea. With the words "sent me off to a foreign land, to go and kill the yellow man" blasting out on the PA system.
                        Holy ****. No way. That’s HILARIOUS.
                        Code:
                        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                        Originally posted by SanTropez
                        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                        Originally posted by Kepler
                        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                          You might want to look at where some of the big tech firms kept offices. Rochester, MN, was known for two companies until about 20 years ago - Mayo Clinics and IBM. One was founded there, and the other located a giant campus there because of the level of education in that city. Big Blue has since dwindled its numbers in Rochester to just a couple thousand, but it certainly was a big influencer at one point.

Also, MN has between 17 and 19 companies on the Fortune 500 list at any given time, based upon stock prices on a given day. We're far from the dearth of information and tech that you like to think or pretend. We're not North Dakota, South Dakota, or Wisconsin.
                          Doesn’t it have the highest number Of F500 or even F100 companies per capita outside of New York?

I almost hate advertising Minnesota. We don’t need the coasties to come in and ruin the twin cities.
                          Code:
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                            Not at all. X just hasn't entered into their period of primary influence yet. Let's say they are '63-'83 (they can't cheat by artificially shortening the generation interval and then crying paucity of numbers). That means right now they are 36-56 years old. That isn't even sniffing power.

IIRC this is the first year in which Gen Xers outnumber Boomers. Go X's time is just arriving.

Everything until now is strictly the Boomers' fault. It will be for a while yet because of momentum, like the few months of a new administration really belong to the old one. But X coming into their own now. They are about to be at fault.

Also: Gen Xers aren't that much smaller in terms of a generation of native births. Even though the Boomers were larger they weren't ridiculously larger. And even tough family planning has helped women step off the baby machine treadmill the Silent Generation also had family planning. They even had -- gasp -- abortion. It wasn't legal but they did it all the time.

But if you insist on this BS granfaloon... if you are really going to insist on "generation" as something demographically meaningful then a generational interval should be equal in length to the median age at which a woman has her middle child. That used to be 20 in the 19th century. It moved up to around 25 by the mid 20th century. I suspect right now that means a generation is about 30 years.

The "real" generations are probably, roughly:

98-17 (21) Lost
                            17-40 (23) Silent
                            40-65 (25) Boomer
                            65-92 (27) X
                            92-21 (29) Millenial
                            21-52 (31) Z

And if that's the case X is now 27-54 years old. Still just kids with no power at all.

But of course generations aren't real. They are labels used for people to sell you sh-t by appealing to your vanity and oppositional identity formation. They're almost as dumb as races. "There's no youth culture, only masks they let you rent."
                            That doesn't work.

The reason the babies born from 1946-1964 are the baby boomers is because there was an explosion of babies born in the years after WW2 ended. That just wasn't true during the war, and certainly not during the Depression. The birth rate in 1935 was only 187/10000. In 1940 it was still only 194/10000 and 1945 204/10000. In 1946 it jumped to 233/10000. It would peak in the 50's at over 250/10000 and would not drop down to under 200/10000 until (drumroll please) 1965. That's why the generation is called the Baby Boomers.

Also, even NOW the Baby Boomers vastly outnumber Generation X. As of 2016:

Millennials: 79.4M
                            Baby Boomers: 75.5M
                            Gen Z: 73.6M
                            Generation X: 65.7

We've simply never had the numbers, and we never will. Sorry, but the world is ****ed up in spite of us, not because of us.
                            Last edited by ticapnews; 09-19-2019, 07:55 PM.

Comment

The Post:

A good prequel to "All The President's Men," IMO. Outstanding cast, MANY recognizable names/faces, even if not "A-List." Yes, more than a few jabs at the current state of affairs, and they are more than justified. Very much worth a watch.
                              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Oh man I didn’t like the post at all. It was the most mediocre movie I think I’ve ever seen. There was nothing to like or hate.

It just was.
                                Code:

Comment

Working...
                                X