X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2020 Democratic Challengers IV: Culling the Herd

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    He won't win the Senate seat anyway. Hillary thought she was going to carry Georgia and Arizona. Too much Fool's Gold with these Democrats. They can't even hold Michigan, Wisconsin, and Pennsylvania and they blew Iowa and I believe Obama won there twice.
    These are all places where different trends are playing out. GA and NC are smartening up and moving towards a blue future. MI, OH, and PA are dumbing down and moving towards a red future. Things change. It isn't a simple pendulum swing over the entire country.

Look at the long term: the crazies hold out in the Mountain West (ID, MT, WY, UT), on the Prairie (NE, OK, KS, I guess WI maybe), in the very worst part of the SEC (LA, AT, TN, MS, AL, FL), and in the Hillbilly Belt (KY, WV, PA, OH, IN, maybe MI).

And. That's. It.

Any place that has a university-information base will pull in the educated who will turn them blue. Just as VA, NM, OR and WA came over to the Free World so NC, GA, TX, and AZ will eventually leave the Slave States.

Our job is to limit the damage and prevent the animals from actually destroying the world between now and then.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

You can include the Dakotas and a majority of MN in that Prairie Belt.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
        You can include the Dakotas and a majority of MN in that Prairie Belt.
        I wasn't sure about the Dakotae.

MN has always been saved by Minneapolis and the educated there. I hope they aren't going in the wrong direction.
        Cornell University
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          These are all places where different trends are playing out. GA and NC are smartening up and moving towards a blue future. MI, OH, and PA are dumbing down and moving towards a red future. Things change. It isn't a simple pendulum swing over the entire country.

Look at the long term: the crazies hold out in the Mountain West (ID, MT, WY, UT), on the Prairie (NE, OK, KS, I guess WI maybe), in the very worst part of the SEC (LA, AT, TN, MS, AL, FL), and in the Hillbilly Belt (KY, WV, PA, OH, IN, maybe MI).

And. That's. It.

Any place that has a university-information base will pull in the educated who will turn them blue. Just as VA, NM, OR and WA came over to the Free World so NC, GA, TX, and AZ will eventually leave the Slave States.

Our job is to limit the damage and prevent the animals from actually destroying the world between now and then.
          Greenland and Iceland have melted. Too late.
          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
            Greenland and Iceland have melted. Too late.
            To be fair the existing DNC wasn't doing sh-t, either.
            Cornell University

Comment

To be fair the existing DNC wasn't doing sh-t, either.
              That's because the DNC thinks STILL to this day they can work with the other side to get things done. And they've never had any support from the other side on this issue. Hell, even Carbon Taxes which I believe is a GOP original idea like Obamacare is an original GOP idea is not supported by those ****ing clowns.

So, Biden, stop saying you can work with the terrorists. You can't. Every day the House should be having a press conference about what they've passed and what Turtle Boy is sitting on. EVERY SINGLE DAY. They need to cudgel them to death. That's exactly Republicans have done and fire has to be fought with fire.
              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                I wasn't sure about the Dakotae.

MN has always been saved by Minneapolis and the educated there. I hope they aren't going in the wrong direction.
                We aren't. Don't let Scooby fool ya. The populated areas all trend blue.
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                  Good. The mental and moral decline of the Rust Belt explains Dump and to some extent Dubya. And if a state turns red then the corruption and bad governance will drive it further into impoverishment and amplify the effect that made it slip in the first place. That's why I assume there's no way out for the prairie and the deep south. Nobody has any reason to move there, so they merely cycle down the reactionary toilet. And I assume Snow Appalachia (OH, PA, MI) is headed there too.
                  Cornell University

Comment

And. That's. It.

Don't write off MI yet. 2018 was unprecedented in that we elected a Democratic woman to every statewide office, by about 8%. A clean sweep. The Trump backlash is alive and well.
                    Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                    USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                      Minnesota is holding but given what I am reading in the paper about Walz and the legislature I'm not going to hold my breath.

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                        Don't write off MI yet. 2018 was unprecedented in that we elected a Democratic woman to every statewide office, by about 8%. A clean sweep. The Trump backlash is alive and well.
                        I don't get why people are falling under Scooby's spell either. If a state voted Dem every Prez election since 1992, except for last time, I don't think writing off the state is the best idea. That includes PA and WI as well. When Bill Clinton won Arizona in 1996, I don't recall Republicans saying "oh well, looks like we gotta let that one go", or after Obama won Indiana in 2008.
                        Last edited by Rover; 08-15-2019, 12:31 PM.
                        Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

There's a difference between writing a state off and understanding the long term trends. What part of "the white working class is now permanently right wing" don't you understand?

We may still be able to squeeze some juice out it one more time, but "450 is my truck and my Math SAT" is Republican forever.

The realignment of politics in this country is now stable: poorly educated whites and any straggler white fundamentalists not captured by the first category vs the field. That lumpenproletariot isn't getting any bigger. The GOP's only hope is massive suppression measures, restricting redistricting to citizens, and outright ballot theft. Even then, if we remain a democracy the GOP cannot survive demographically as anything but a regional, white power party. Hence the full-throated embrace of fascism by the right now.
                          Last edited by Kepler; 08-15-2019, 01:24 PM.
                          Cornell University

Comment

There's a difference between writing a state off and understanding the long term trends. What part of "the white working class is now permanently right wing" don't you understand?

We may still be able to squeeze some juice out it one more time, but "450 is my truck and my Math SAT" is Republican forever.

The realignment of politics in this country is now stable: poorly educated whites and any straggler white fundamentalists not captured by the first category vs the field. That lumpenproletariot isn't getting any bigger. The GOP's only hope is massive suppression measures, restricting redistricting to citizens, and outright ballot theft. Even then, if we remain a democracy the GOP cannot survive demographically as anything but a regional, white power party. Hence the full-throated embrace of fascism by the right now.
                            Then why would we write off Michigan, Pennsylvania, or Wisconsin because they happen to have some working class rural white areas ? Makes no sense especially given Dem dominance in statewide races. Why does Scooby want us to blow off North Carolina which is seeing an influx of educated people?

EDIT: Go Lizzy go! https://iowastartingline.com/2019/08...e-iowa-caucus/

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                              Then why would we write off Michigan, Pennsylvania, or Wisconsin because they happen to have some working class rural white areas ? Makes no sense especially given Dem dominance in statewide races. Why does Scooby want us to blow off North Carolina which is seeing an influx of educated people?

EDIT: Go Lizzy go! https://iowastartingline.com/2019/08...e-iowa-caucus/
                              This is excellent news. She should have a slight advantage in New Hampshire as well. Win both and the momentum might be overwhelming.

North Carolina? More Fools Gold. I thought about moving there once. Forget it.

Comment

Its only one poll of course but I like the trajectory of Warren's campaign. With Biden running in place (somewhat surprisingly) and Bernie taking on water, the only logical thing to do is for Sanders to drop out and endorse Warren before the NH primary which should put her over the top.

Regarding the voters, I don't think we should consider every white working class person a Nazi, or put another way, we need more evidence. The fine people of VT, NH, and ME to name a few contain quite a lot of non-college educated whites who aren't completely insane. I'm assuming the same goes for places like Colorado and New Mexico as well. So before we throw in the towel on a place like Iowa, where 3 out of the 4 Reps are Dems and one's a Nazi (Steve King) lets give it another election or two.

Comment

Working...
                                X