X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2017-2018 Season - The Quest Continues

Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
    Another example is why so many of us languish over Justin Fregona's playing time. When you are not a top 5 team you need to develop what you do have, not to your detriment but to your future.

Clark's start is a great example. BU? He could have been potentially better with a start in the supposed "cupcake" run. Occasional rotations only help keep it competitive and develop talent. If you don't have it - develop it.
    Or make it unpleasant so you free up roster space for your guys. As Greg Ambrose added back in 2015:

First, Charlie's last year was '85-'86. Second, who might I ask recruited the likes of Babcock, Schrader and Roth? I remember those recruits. Babcock was from Burlington, I believe. We went to see him in a Hockey Night in Boston event at Stoneham Arena. He took a couple of shifts and we asked "this guy is a D1 player?" As for Schrader and Roth, late gets from Minnesota. I remember Kullen coming back from that recruiting trip and bragging he had found a couple of guys who had flown under the radar. Turns out, for a reason. Watcher, back then I had a good friend who has since passed away who spent a lot of time at UNH practices. He told me that Sean Coady made it his personal mission to get these last two guys to leave the program. Not sure if those tactics are used today, but maybe they should be.
    Last edited by NCAA watcher; 01-19-2018, 10:50 AM.
    The Souza record:
    15-16 10th place
    16-17 10th place
    17-18 11th place
    18-19 8th place
    19-20 9th place
    20-21 10th place
    21-22 9th place
    22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
      I would like to respond to both you and chuck around your comments on MacAdams. I appreciate both of your observations about comparables - Greg collins and David Busch. While i see both, I honestly see a greater upside for MacAdams. While Greg, along with Thomas Fortney formed one of the best PK pairings i have seen and Greg ended as a team captain, I feel that MacAdams is far more physical and aggressive as he finishes all of his checks (one of the few) and is getting tougher on the puck. i also like that he is getting more ice. Both Greg (49 points) and David (70 points) had to start at the bottom as freshmen. And given the teams they played on, they should have, but you only grow talent with coaching and real ice time. Another example is why so many of us languish over Justin Fregona's playing time. When you are not a top 5 team you need to develop what you do have, not to your detriment but to your future.

Clark's start is a great example. BU? He could have been potentially better with a start in the supposed "cupcake" run. Occasional rotations only help keep it competitive and develop talent. If you don't have it - develop it.
      Fair enough - MacAdams is notably taller than Collins, a little heavier and is definitely more willing to stick his nose into physical play, where as Collins had great feet and defensive stick skills. Its probably not the best comparison player to player, but more a refection of my thoughts as to the role each player should be playing for a top HE/NCAA program. Collins/Busch started at the bottom because they were on much better and deeper teams. MacAdams has been promoted quickly to the top line, because UNH hasn't had the depth or options to fill that third spot alongside McNicholas and Salvaggio. Both MacAdams and Collins are very good bottom-six type forwards, who can chip in offensively, forecheck effectively and defend - but if you're asking either to play a scoring role you're in trouble. Whatever difference we eventually see in their offensive statistics will likely be due to the opportunities available to MacAdams that weren't ever available to Collins or Busch...

Collins and Busch played on great teams with deep forward groups. This allowed them to flourish in the roles that fit their skill-set. When MacAdams has to fill an unnatural role, this also creates the need for players to reach past their natural ability to fill his old role. Thats the problem at UNH - every player is playing up in the line-up and they're not maximizing any position. This is why recruiting is the issue I constantly harp on and the area where UNH is desperate for an improvement...

But to your main point - placing an emphasis on developing younger players for the future, rather than languishing in the present and harming your future? I agree wholeheartedly!!
      Last edited by Dan; 01-19-2018, 10:57 AM.
      Live Free or Die!!
      Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
        Or make it unpleasant so you free up roster space for your guys. As Greg Ambrose added back in 2015:
        I'd rather they didn't get involved in this - these recruiting mistakes are the coaches' fault, not the players'. I'd rather see them upgrade recruiting moving forward - play the younger/more-skilled kids so they develop faster - and don't make the same mistakes you've made in the past..

Unfortunately, after three years of Souza, it seems like were going to see a lot more bottom-six type forwards coming through the program and being asked to play top-six roles. That's just not going to work. I'd be fine slogging through a couple of tough years, if the pipeline included enough future skill to provide a light at the end of the tunnel. Unfortunately, for now the only players of that type in the pipeline are Crookshank and Stutzle. As we've learned (with AP & TK), a couple of GUYS mixed with a bunch of guys just isn't enough.

And we'll see if Stutzel ever makes it to UNH - he's three years out from matriculating as a true freshman and well before that happens he's going to outgrow the competition available to him in Germany. That's when professional opportunities in Europe or Major Junior overtures become a very viable threat. Hopefully, he'll pick the USHL. Assuming he makes it to UNH, he'll still be two years behind Crookshank and Blackburn/BVR/Grasso will already have moved on. They need to start grabbing goal-scorers at a much more consistent rate if they're ever going to get out of this ditch...
        Live Free or Die!!
        Miami University '03

Comment

Chime in here just to say that the HNIB player I saw that fateful night was Matt Shramek, not Babcock. As for ethics of forcing players out, what are the ethics of basically paying kids to play hockey? What are the ethics of 14 year olds having family advisors? What are the ethics of sports coaches being the highest paid state employee in practically every state? And what are ethics when a university takes $1 million of an restricted gift from a research librarian and uses it to construct a football scoreboard? The bottom line is there is little that is ethical when it comes to Division 1 Sports. Some schools are little less pregnant, to use a metaphor, than others, but my take has always been that if you jump into the cesspool, don’t expect to come out clean. As the Globe’s Bob Ryan, an unabashed college basketball fan, famously said years ago, to enjoy the tournament, you have to suspend reality. I guess that’s why I can still care while seeing the hypocrisy of it all.

Comment

Maine students on break still. Half full student section. DT in net for the cats. Robinson dressed

Comment

How are those offensive zone face-offs? One power play, two offensive zone face-offs, lost both of them = not much of a power play.

Comment

Nice PK on the Nazarian penalty but that powerplay UNH.... Tirone tough so far. But overall not a great period for the 'Cats. EDIT...nice goal!!! (Off the faceoff....no less?) Attaboy Max and Sal!
                Last edited by HockeyRef; 01-19-2018, 07:32 PM.
                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

After being completely void of offense for 35 minutes they are toying with the line combos and it gets them a goal to close out the second.

Comment

Originally posted by deltabravo62 View Post
                    After being completely void of offense for 35 minutes they are toying with the line combos and it gets them a goal to close out the second.
                    Ya there were some interesting combos at the start...what do you make of it? Seriously...we have to get it together!!
                    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Surprise, Surprise! A well executed offensive zone face-off results in a GOAL !!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                        Ya there were some interesting combos at the start...what do you make of it? Seriously...we have to get it together!!
                        What I make of it is they are pretty much picking names out of a hat for line combos. The last two lines I saw out there were Salvaggio-Vela-Nazarian and Fregona-McNicholas-Kelleher. I'm not opposed to mixing it up when the lines you went in with (and the lines you have been using for the past 4 weeks) are not getting it done.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Dorn View Post
                          Surprise, Surprise! A well executed offensive zone face-off results in a GOAL !!!!!!!!!!!!
                          Who KNEW???
                          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Mac Adammmmssssss!
                            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Whelp we did not lose and I liked what I saw in the third...other comments? We'll take it; a points a point. Clean up that PP and we could do some damage.
                              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Thoughts from the game from someone who braved the alfond against some...interesting Maine fans. DT played a very good game and let up a weird goal and a goal that his D burned him on. The offense struggled so much during the second but controlled the third. UNH had many chances to score but Maine’s goalie did a job well done. Credit is deserved where credit is due. Even though the night ended in a tie UNH seemed to have some strengths. UNH was 0/5 on the power play...which I feel is just not okay. But! Kept Maine 0/4 on their power play too. Hopefully UNH can come out strong tomorrow and not have to fight back to tie it again.

Comment

Working...
                                X