This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2017-2018 Season - The Quest Continues

Why do you folks have any broader expectation that having a competitive program is important, when Marty does not? The past three years was not the best path forward, but expressly for the purpose of being a close family and celebrating the past. So the real question about yesterday was how nicely did Brown fete Coach before the game? Whittet has nice connections to Coach, having taken on the task of training Umile's former players who Umile didn't actually want to do the work of having on his own staff as coaches in training (M. White and Souza), so I'm sure there was a warm ceremony.

Was part of the ceremony Brown's seniors, recruited by Souza, honoring him? Do any of his recruits still play, or did they have the wave of younger players who Brown brought in later to rebuild that team?

And speaking of ceremonies, did they stop the game and allow Tirone to thank his teammates and the recruiting staff for bringing in the talent around him that allowed him to set the all-time save record?
    For the life of me, I can't understand why the UNH players don't understand this is a meritocracy and they have to earn their spots, not a family.
    The Souza record:
    15-16 10th place
    16-17 10th place
    17-18 11th place
    18-19 8th place
    19-20 9th place
    20-21 10th place
    21-22 9th place
    22-23 10th place

Comment

• Originally posted by e.cat View Post
      I was in Ireland last week visiting my daughter and her outlaws. Very nice trip which included a bucket list tour of the Guinness Brewery! Got back safely despite the bomb cyclone and Kennebunkport under water and was looking forward to watching a UNH win last night. I don't know what's going on with this team but something has changed since the beginning of the season obviously.
      In followup to someone's comment earlier in thread, early in season team was undefeated without Grasso, but then began losing when Grasso came back. But, now the team is losing without Grasso.

I blame the coaching, especially our 5-3 PP with two extra forwards positioned behind the opposing net.

And, sitting Fregona on the pine.
      Last edited by Snively65; 01-07-2018, 08:11 AM.

Comment

I don't think Coach U was feted by the Brown coach unless I missed something. Game was stopped briefly to acknowledge DT's record breaking save. Am not able to discuss that game any further. Think the story in Fosters does a nice job tho... 🙄
        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
          Why do you folks have any broader expectation that having a competitive program is important, when Marty does not? The past three years was not the best path forward, but expressly for the purpose of being a close family and celebrating the past. So the real question about yesterday was how nicely did Brown fete Coach before the game? Whittet has nice connections to Coach, having taken on the task of training Umile's former players who Umile didn't actually want to do the work of having on his own staff as coaches in training (M. White and Souza), so I'm sure there was a warm ceremony.

Was part of the ceremony Brown's seniors, recruited by Souza, honoring him? Do any of his recruits still play, or did they have the wave of younger players who Brown brought in later to rebuild that team?

And speaking of ceremonies, did they stop the game and allow Tirone to thank his teammates and the recruiting staff for bringing in the talent around him that allowed him to set the all-time save record?
          For the life of me, I can't understand why the UNH players don't understand this is a meritocracy and they have to earn their spots, not a family.
          Hey 'Watcher

You making the trip north for this romp down memory lane?

"From the Friends of Maine Hockey: There will be a luncheon at the Sea Dog Brewing Company on January 19 from Noon until 1:30. The guests will be Red Gendron and Dick Umile, who will share stories about Alfond Arena and the rivalry between the two schools. Cost is $20 per person and will include a buffet. Please call Shannon Coiley at 581-1106 or email her at Shannon.coiley(at)maine.edu"
          UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
            You lost me at ranked team with a 9-5-1 record. That's not who they ever were or who they are. They are the equal of the teams they've played this year (an incredibly weak schedule). When that's the case, sometime you win five in a row and sometimes you lose five in a row but more often then not you end up around .500.

Are they a better team than Brown? Probably. Are they better than Dartmouth, Yale, Army, CC, Colgate, MC? Debateable (I'd say they're the same). I understand why people are frustrated. But you are closer to the right track (IMO) when you prescribe that UNH themselves are a cupcake.

And cupcakes lose. No matter what the coaches say (and I would never argue the coaches are doing a good job. They don't seem to be.). But the bigger issue is talent and depth (recruiting) not effort.

I look at tonight's line-up and I see at least four F and three D that have no place on an NCAA tournament line-up (and that may be generous). And with the exception of MAYBE 2-3 of the remaining skaters they are all playing roles over their heads if on a good team. Without even getting to the goalies it's just not a recipe for success.

It's ALL on the coaches. I just think their team-building skills have been the real issue.

---

I don't want to be negative - so I'll stop short of personal attacks like calling them 'pathetic' like some... #eyeroll
            "That's not to pick on the Wildcats, but it's quite illustrative of the forces we're talking about. Subpar teams can only outrun the effects of mediocre systems and low-level talent for so long before everything falls apart."

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...-Assessing.php
            UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Very interesting article there Felger. Makes total sense. I don't think the average fan (and I am including myself here on many things but I've learned a lot) even have considered these things let alone the basics of recruiting etc. Still, there's no excuse for blowing a 4 goal lead I don't care how "sub par" a team is perceived to be. But that's all beside the point in the big picture. The 'Cats are what they are. We hope for the best and can only hope there's something in the future for those who hold out for those things. Personally I don't and did not hold any visions of grandeur I know what we have on that ice. It is what it is. There are great moments and not so great moments.

What else can one say? But one things for sure; it was/is great to see them do well and there will be other games this season that they will do well. Individuals will develop and when it's all said and done, there will be the bright spots. From a fan perspective, a realistic fan at that, those are the things we cling to. Go 'Cats!

Ps Chuck, I was aware of the sarcasm regarding the Brown coach feting DU...I just thought I had maybe missed it because every game that has happened. I am fully aware of the Brown/UNH connection with MS....and I was doing my own sarcastic attempt with the Foster's nod
              Last edited by HockeyRef; 01-07-2018, 10:17 AM.
              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                I don't think Coach U was feted by the Brown coach unless I missed something. Game was stopped briefly to acknowledge DT's record breaking save. Am not able to discuss that game any further. Think the story in Fosters does a nice job tho... 🙄
                I think 'Watcher was being sarcastic, HR - a little added detail (and creative license) to something I touched briefly upon in the last edition of the Quest with the ties between Brown and UNH at the coaching level. Mostly through coach-in-waiting Souza and his batch of Brownie recruits, of course, but also with his former UNH teammate Mark White, who was a 3rd pairing defenseman on the '99 team that lost in OT to UMaine in the D-1 Finals.

Thanks for pointing out the item in Fosters. Some interesting quotes in there. Seems all is not so happy on the Good Ship Lollipop after this latest head-scratcher. Today's WIS Challenge is for you, the reader, is to match the listed UNH personnel with the following quotes (it's way more fun not to read the article 'til after you do the quiz. ):

(A) Danny Tirone
                (B) Liam Blackburn
                (C) Dylan "Foxhole" Chanter
                (D) Coach Dick Umile

(1) “Give them credit for coming back. Give us no credit for the pushback and the effort.”

(2) “In the third period I think they had more left in the tank than we did, and it showed.”

(3) “We weren’t really up 4-0 the way the game was going early. They had a lot of chances. They missed some of their best opportunities early. They played harder and longer than we did.”

(4) “They just didn’t quit. They were relentless. Eventually something’s got to go in for them.”

(5) “We talked about playing a 60-minute hockey game before the game, after the first period, after the second period and did absolutely nothing in the third period.”

(6) “Throughout the third period they were all over us and I don’t think we responded as well as we should have. It just seemed like they were winning the puck battles and spending a lot of time in our zone. They got the momentum going and we didn’t respond the way that we should have and need to. That’s disappointing.”

http://www.fosters.com/sports/201801...-drawing-brown

BONUS POINTS (for kicks and giggles): Spot the portion of the article (written very capably by Al Pike BTW) where you can see how he overlooked one small detail when he was forced to rewrite the original article from the (very understandable) assumption that UNH would somehow manage to win this game comfortably?
                Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                  I think 'Watcher was being sarcastic, HR - a little added detail (and creative license) to something I touched briefly upon in the last edition of the Quest with the ties between Brown and UNH at the coaching level. Mostly through coach-in-waiting Souza and his batch of Brownie recruits, of course, but also with his former UNH teammate Mark White, who was a 3rd pairing defenseman on the '99 team that lost in OT to UMaine in the D-1 Finals.

Thanks for pointing out the item in Fosters. Some interesting quotes in there. Seems all is not so happy on the Good Ship Lollipop after this latest head-scratcher. Today's WIS Challenge is for you, the reader, is to match the listed UNH personnel with the following quotes (it's way more fun not to read the article 'til after you do the quiz. ):

(A) Danny Tirone
                  (B) Liam Blackburn
                  (C) Dylan "Foxhole" Chanter
                  (D) Coach Dick Umile

(1) “Give them credit for coming back. Give us no credit for the pushback and the effort.”

(2) “In the third period I think they had more left in the tank than we did, and it showed.”

(3) “We weren’t really up 4-0 the way the game was going early. They had a lot of chances. They missed some of their best opportunities early. They played harder and longer than we did.”

(4) “They just didn’t quit. They were relentless. Eventually something’s got to go in for them.”

(5) “We talked about playing a 60-minute hockey game before the game, after the first period, after the second period and did absolutely nothing in the third period.”

(6) “Throughout the third period they were all over us and I don’t think we responded as well as we should have. It just seemed like they were winning the puck battles and spending a lot of time in our zone. They got the momentum going and we didn’t respond the way that we should have and need to. That’s disappointing.”

http://www.fosters.com/sports/201801...-drawing-brown

BONUS POINTS (for kicks and giggles): Spot the portion of the article (written very capably by Al Pike BTW) where you can see how he overlooked one small detail when he was forced to rewrite the original article from the (very understandable) assumption that UNH would somehow manage to win this game comfortably?
                  Ok, not having read Al Pike's article, i will play along. I no longer read Foster's, but enjoyed talking to Al at the 2002 FF, as we stayed in the same motel on the outskirts of St Paul.

1) Liam
                  2) Foxhole
                  3) DU
                  4) DT
                  5) Foxhole
                  6) DU

Comment

• Originally posted by Felger View Post
                    "That's not to pick on the Wildcats, but it's quite illustrative of the forces we're talking about. Subpar teams can only outrun the effects of mediocre systems and low-level talent for so long before everything falls apart."

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...-Assessing.php
                    SOG rules!

I have missed the last three games, but not seeing Gildon on the score sheet the past five games, have the coaches been successful in "reeling him in," as many here wanted?

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                      "UNH went ahead to stay on a power-play goal by Maass"

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                        SOG rules!

I have missed the last three games, but not seeing Gildon on the score sheet the past five games, have the coaches been successful in "reeling him in," as many here wanted?
                        All we (well I) wanted for Max was to play his best game and work on limiting costly turnovers...is that reeling him in? Doesn't seem too much to ask?!? Who knows.
                        Last edited by HockeyRef; 01-07-2018, 11:30 AM.
                        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Hey gang if you're watching Bruins Academy they are going to profile the hockey program at Brown. Listen and learn!!! 😉
                          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                            In followup to someone's comment earlier in thread, early in season team was undefeated without Grasso, but then began losing when Grasso came back. But, now the team is losing without Grasso.

I blame the coaching, especially our 5-3 PP with two extra forwards positioned behind the opposing net.

And, sitting Fregona on the pine.
                            Yeah! They're getting outworked and outcoached right now!
                            UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                              Yeah! They're getting outworked and outcoached right now!
                              Maybe, just maybe...we can catch some teams looking past us...prob the best coaching strategy right now!!!
                              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                                Maybe, just maybe...we can catch some teams looking past us...prob the best coaching strategy right now!!!
                                The other Bears in Orono are now licking their chops for our Wildcats.

Comment

Working...
                                X