X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Movies 51 - Rise of the Frozen Joker: Chapter II: Dark Fate

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post

Todays news about FACE/OFF being redone is a perfect example of a reboot that absolutely no one is asking for. That movie has it's original cult status simply because it has Nick Cage and John Travolta both playing themselves amped up to over 9000, along with John Woo doing his unique style behind the camera.
    Fixed.

Selfless:

Ben Kingsley plays a billionaire who is dying, and transfers his mind into a newer, younger body. However, due to some circumstances, begins to wonder where the body came from (who is played by Ryan Reynolds).

It's decent, a good mix of tinfoil hat action, and morality drama.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Well, FACE/OFF seems like it could be a $90-100m budget that will make $50m. Do that enough and this crap will stop. We're starting to see IP's where this is possible coming through the pipes now. Like I said, the well is starting to show it may be running dry.
      What movies make you think the well is running dry? Maybe creatively, but with very few exceptions they all make money. The only loser that comes to mind is Chips which only made $23M on a $25M budget.

Don't even think of putting the Disney Live Action Remakes on this list. Since 2015 Disney has grossed $5.4 billion on a budget of $975M for six films. And technically not remakes, Mary Poppins Returns made $350 on a $130M budget and Christopher Robin was $200M on a $95M budget.

Comment

Mary Poppins Returns was actually good, though. I don't mind a sequel if it's GOOD. Remakes are a coin flip at best. And ones that aren't even thought of/asked for/not needed? You're betting a lot. There is ZERO need for a Face/Off remake.

On the flipside, I could SEE how "Gone In 60 Seconds" was remade. Cooler cars, new technology, etc. There was at least a reason.....

Edit: Imagine "Wargames" now....with the technology...I don't want it to happen, but there would be good reason to redo that one...
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
          Mary Poppins Returns was actually good, though. I don't mind a sequel if it's GOOD. Remakes are a coin flip at best. And ones that aren't even thought of/asked for/not needed? You're betting a lot. There is ZERO need for a Face/Off remake.

On the flipside, I could SEE how "Gone In 60 Seconds" was remade. Cooler cars, new technology, etc. There was at least a reason.....

Edit: Imagine "Wargames" now....with the technology...I don't want it to happen, but there would be good reason to redo that one...
          Studios are more than happy to take that bet. Even the hated Ghostbusters reimagining or whatever it was made $250M on a budget of $145M. You may not like them but studios love the green they make.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
            Studios are more than happy to take that bet. Even the hated Ghostbusters reimagining or whatever it was made $250M on a budget of $145M. You may not like them but studios love the green they make.
            I see the studios' point. Hell, they got people to watch Jack And Jill.

And even I have to admit, the new Ghostbusters was entertaining.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
              I think its LeMans back when Ford when big into endurance racing to win LeMans.

If they show the cars of that era with the natural sound, bring earplugs.
              zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzz
              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Actually if it only made $250 million off that budget it didnt make much at all. (and by some metrics it lost it) Conventional wisdom is you have to double the budget to make money after you factor is advertising and the split between the studio and the theater. It is actually worse if any of the money came from overseas. It is actually pretty ridiculous when it comes to big budget films.
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                  Actually if it only made $250 million off that budget it didnt make much at all. (and by some metrics it lost it) Conventional wisdom is you have to double the budget to make money after you factor is advertising and the split between the studio and the theater. It is actually worse if any of the money came from overseas. It is actually pretty ridiculous when it comes to big budget films.
                  I do understand how the business works. I also know that with Hollywood accounting anything is possible. I remember John Cleese giving an interview and saying the only film Monty Python made with Hollywood was coincidentally the only film Monty Python ever made that didn't turn a profit, hence the performers never received a share of the nonexistent profits. Fact remains that if all these reboots and remakes didn't produce profits the studios wouldn't keep making them. If people were REALLY unhappy with them they would fail at the box office and the studios would find something else.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                    Actually if it only made $250 million off that budget it didnt make much at all. (and by some metrics it lost it) Conventional wisdom is you have to double the budget to make money after you factor is advertising and the split between the studio and the theater.
                    I always assumed advertising was part of the budget.

Based on frequency of ads I'm going to guess no Marvel movie has ever actually made money.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Based on frequency of ads I'm going to guess no Marvel movie has ever actually made money.
                      Amazingly, they've combined for a grand total of $17 profit. They're gonna get a pizza at Chuck E. Cheese's.
                      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Advertising/marketing can be well over $100m for big, tentpole movies. It's figured that Endgame and Infinity War needed roughly $750m - $1B each to become profitable for the Mouse House. Solo with it's $392m gross didn't make much, if at all.
                        It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

BTW, add Tank Girl to the growing list of remakes. It will star Margot Robbie.

Comment

Advertising/marketing can be well over $100m for big, tentpole movies. It's figured that Endgame and Infinity War needed roughly $750m - $1B each to become profitable for the Mouse House. Solo with it's $392m gross didn't make much, if at all.
                            This sounds a lot like what led to the death of the original studio system: enormous budgets and small margins unless you have a hit means one flop can bankrupt a studio (Cleopatra, Heaven's Gate).

If I'm an investor I want steady profit, not feast/famine. I wonder if the mega-media companies are starting to have problems finding banks. I mean, unless they own the banks now.
                            Cornell University
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

BTW, add Tank Girl to the growing list of remakes. It will star Margot Robbie.
                              That is a crime.
                              Cornell University

Comment

Solo lost Disney around $75M. However, having heard several of Bob Iger's conference calls, while disappointed with the film's lack of success, the company is quite pleased with all the associated merchandise it sold. Disney usually is. That's one of the reasons there will likely be a Power Rangers sequel. Even though the movie didn't do gangbusters ($143M on a $105M budget) the sale of merchandise more than made up for it. Sales of action figures alone shot up close to 200%. In some cases that's what movies are: commercials for other merchandise that you can buy.

Comment

Working...
                                X