Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pre season top 10

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
    Lots of variety in the Clarkson rankings. Not sure who all they graduated besides Gabel and Sauve and Pozzebon?.
    Cianfarano, Keenan, Mariani, Vinkle. The last three are more role players, but still players with a couple of rings.

I’m curious what you all think Providence will do? Their record improved last year, but they fared worse in conference due to NU and BU having great and good seasons.
    I think that Matt Kelly will make a difference there, especially once he brings in some of his own players. Longer term, I look for the Friars to rise in HEA.

In that last game of BU’s season BC had their way with them. I’m not knowledgeable about the new roster, but I was initially surprised to see them ranked as much as they are here.
    IMO, BU was the opposite of BC, in that BU got about the maximum out of the talent available.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

So far UM 4 UW 3 as for votes for #1. LOL Had UW not landed Watts, I could have understood the UM love, but Watts replaces Pankowski (from a scoring punch perspective) so losing a critical player like her is a push. UW's freshmen defenders hardly ever play like freshmen as they replace 2 crazy good consistent D and UW is better in goal than UM.
      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
        So far UM 4 UW 3 as for votes for #1. LOL Had UW not landed Watts, I could have understood the UM love, but Watts replaces Pankowski (from a scoring punch perspective) so losing a critical player like her is a push. UW's freshmen defenders hardly ever play like freshmen as they replace 2 crazy good consistent D and UW is better in goal than UM.
        But that's why they play the games. See 2014, 2017, 2018.
        Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
        And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
        WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
        If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

UW's freshmen defenders hardly ever play like freshmen as they replace 2 crazy good consistent D and UW is better in goal than UM.
          Six months is an eternity in terms of "better in goal". Consider someone like Maddie Rooney: okay as a rookie, improving as a sophomore and great by the end of that season, won Gold the next year, and was inconsistent last year. Compare Campbell to Rigsby, who played almost all of the minutes her first three years but missed some games due to injury as a senior. If it becomes a battle of both teams' second goalie, you may not be as confident. Your opinion that UW is better in goal in September won't necessarily mean it will be true come March.

On paper, UW gains at forward. The Badgers graduated more, but they also added a lot more. I think that the Gophers gain on the blue line. UW won't have any fifth-year seniors this time, and barring injury, UM figures to be stronger at the position than it was last year.

A lot of the separation between the teams was that Wisconsin played better in the postseason; the two teams had been equal to that point. And I thought that a lot of the gain was that Pankowski played better in the tourneys than she had to that point in the H2H.

Comment

In terms of the better in goal comment, I would agree to better defensively at least that is what I witnessed last year.

Comment

Originally posted by vicb View Post
              But that's why they play the games. See 2014, 2017, 2018.
              I for one would be in favor of NCAA getting rid of that 'play the games' feature of the tournament. It seems that nothing good comes from it.

Comment

Originally posted by Leather helmet View Post
                I for one would be in favor of NCAA getting rid of that 'play the games' feature of the tournament. It seems that nothing good comes from it.
                So instead of "play the games" should the 17 of us on the forum just take a vote.
                Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Originally posted by vicb View Post
                  So instead of "play the games" should the 17 of us on the forum just take a vote.
                  I'm not sure if that would increase or decrease the frequency of concussions.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                    I'm not sure if that would increase or decrease the frequency of concussions.
                    My melon is already slush, so I an concussion-proof.
                    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

My melon is already slush, so I an concussion-proof.
                      Here is proof...

https://media.giphy.com/media/8Ppl4nQ9VJ2a4/giphy.gif
                      At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Six months is an eternity in terms of "better in goal". Consider someone like Maddie Rooney: okay as a rookie, improving as a sophomore and great by the end of that season, won Gold the next year, and was inconsistent last year. Compare Campbell to Rigsby, who played almost all of the minutes her first three years but missed some games due to injury as a senior. If it becomes a battle of both teams' second goalie, you may not be as confident. Your opinion that UW is better in goal in September won't necessarily mean it will be true come March.

On paper, UW gains at forward. The Badgers graduated more, but they also added a lot more. I think that the Gophers gain on the blue line. UW won't have any fifth-year seniors this time, and barring injury, UM figures to be stronger at the position than it was last year.

A lot of the separation between the teams was that Wisconsin played better in the postseason; the two teams had been equal to that point. And I thought that a lot of the gain was that Pankowski played better in the tourneys than she had to that point in the H2H.
                        Seems like Badgers & Gophers are the consensus 1 & 1A teams. Who is going to be the top 5 players in the WCHA that will be difference makers?

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeynation View Post
                          Who is going to be the top 5 players in the WCHA that will be difference makers?
                          I find it really difficult to mix forwards and D together and compare their impact (unless you are talking about the type of D who just want to spend half of their shifts skating up with the forwards). So looking just at the returners in PPG from last season, they would rank as: #1 Maltais; #2 Hughes; #3 Roque; #4 Zumwinkle; #5 Shirley. The first four are all above a point a game. Dunne is arguably the most dynamic D in the league if you'd like to include her in the mix.

Watts could be in the top five at the end of the year, but then so could Curl, Heise, or either Potomak. It's also hard to figure out where somebody like DeGeorge fits. She doesn't have the numbers of others, but then she doesn't play with as much offensive talent as they do.

Comment

I find it really difficult to mix forwards and D together and compare their impact (unless you are talking about the type of D who just want to spend half of their shifts skating up with the forwards). So looking just at the returners in PPG from last season, they would rank as: #1 Maltais; #2 Hughes; #3 Roque; #4 Zumwinkle; #5 Shirley. The first four are all above a point a game. Dunne is arguably the most dynamic D in the league if you'd like to include her in the mix.

Watts could be in the top five at the end of the year, but then so could Curl, Heise, or either Potomak. It's also hard to figure out where somebody like DeGeorge fits. She doesn't have the numbers of others, but then she doesn't play with as much offensive talent as they do.
                            I like the diversity of the players mentioned. A players value is not solely connected to PPG. Many players make a big impact without the rewards at times.For example Clark's impact with Pankowski last year! Going to be very interested in seeing how Watts fares In the production department in the WCHA. I imagine still will be solid with a very strong team to play with. with all due respect Hockey East is completely different level of overall competition and playing style than in the WCHA.

Comment

USCHO preseason poll that came out yesterday for comparison...

1. Wisconsin
                              2. Minnesota
                              3. Clarkson
                              4. Northeastern
                              5. Cornell
                              6. Princeton
                              7. BU
                              8. bc
                              9. Ohio State
                              10. UMD
                              At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                                USCHO preseason poll that came out yesterday for comparison...

1. Wisconsin
                                2. Minnesota
                                3. Clarkson
                                4. Northeastern
                                5. Cornell
                                6. Princeton
                                7. BU
                                8. bc
                                9. Ohio State
                                10. UMD
                                and BTW: UW unanimous at #1, with Minn not quite unanimous at #2.

Comment

Working...
                                X