X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Black Bears 2019: Offseason Approaching

Originally posted by rufus View Post
    Only 3 from the post-Walsh era.
    5 players from 92/93 team, 5 from before. Only one from after 95 to end of Walsh's era. I am surprised not to see Steve Kariya, Alfie, Guite. I wonder who we would think is the best player not to make the list?

Comment

Only one skater post 95 which is a little jarring. Abbott has to be the best guy who didnt get picked — he was in the Hobey Hat Trick. I’m guessing very few top 3 Hobey vote getters from any school were left off.

Mike McHugh also comes to mind, Hockey East Player of the Year in 88. There are quite a few league MVPs that didnt make it though

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
      43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
      104-47-14 (.669) in that time
      3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
        I guess it shouldn't be a shock BC beat UMass but a shutout. UMass is going down early in NCAAs. Peaked a while back.
        Not really a shock when you consider the number of NHL draft picks that BC has on the team. However, it is a shock when you look at BC's performance during the regular season.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
          5 players from 92/93 team, 5 from before. Only one from after 95 to end of Walsh's era. I am surprised not to see Steve Kariya, Alfie, Guite. I wonder who we would think is the best player not to make the list?
          Gary Conn.

Edit: Never mind, Maine was in the old ECAC then. Maybe Shore?
          Last edited by Fishman'81; 03-23-2019, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Reminder: women's hoops v. NC State, 1:30 on ESPN2.

Comment

Wow, I just saw Maine was outscored 40-2 in the paint by NC State when they played in December. Yikes.

Comment

I'm gonna go with Steve Kariya. He is in Maine hall of fame. 6th all time in Maine scoring. He was a Hobey finalist. He captained an NCAA champion. He won sportsmanship award three times. He was an all American and all hockey east. I find it hard to believe Dimitrakos makes it on honorable mention before Steve Kariya.

Comment

FWIW, I think those "all-time" teams are pointless and political. It's sort of like those "Greatest Hits of All-Time" song lists...it depends upon who's voting. When it's all 17 year-olds you ever get a song that's older than ten years. In this case, the "perimeter" schools (those outside the Boston/Providence belt) seem to have dominated. As a BU fan, I can tell you that there are a couple of players on there that NO WAY were better than some of the ones they left off.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
                    I'm gonna go with Steve Kariya. He is in Maine hall of fame. 6th all time in Maine scoring. He was a Hobey finalist. He captained an NCAA champion. He won sportsmanship award three times. He was an all American and all hockey east. I find it hard to believe Dimitrakos makes it on honorable mention before Steve Kariya.
                    Niko scored one of the more memorable goals in Hockey East Tournament history. That carries weight with the voters.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                      Niko scored one of the more memorable goals in Hockey East Tournament history. That carries weight with the voters.
                      Yes, and Shattenkirk and Gilroy were on a National Championship team. Which was my original point...these "teams" are very subjective and often (not that it's possible to do so) are selected by people who don't see a player's entire career, but perhaps only the post-season games.

Comment

Guys and gals,

BU gave up two goals to Northeastern last night in the Hockey East semifinals. According to some people on this forum, a coach has flawed offensive strategy if/when that happens. With that said, I checked the BU thread thinking their fans would be calling for Albie O'Connell to be fired. They weren't. I guess that's just a Maine thing.

Comment

That was a big one. Definitely one of the biggest moments I've seen live. Also Steve Kariya's big game in the playoffs was a memorable moment too. I think he had 6 points in that game.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                            Yes, and Shattenkirk and Gilroy were on a National Championship team. Which was my original point...these "teams" are very subjective and often (not that it's possible to do so) are selected by people who don't see a player's entire career, but perhaps only the post-season games.
                            I wonder how many current voters saw the players from the 80s and 90s play vs how many are just going by reputation and/or impressive stats.

Comment

Originally posted by GoBlue51 View Post
                              Guys and gals,

BU gave up two goals to Northeastern last night in the Hockey East semifinals. According to some people on this forum, a coach has flawed offensive strategy if/when that happens. With that said, I checked the BU thread thinking their fans would be calling for Albie O'Connell to be fired. They weren't. I guess that's just a Maine thing.
                              BU has made the ncaa playoffs the previous 5 straight season, including an appearance in the NCAA championship game. You really think BU fans feel as miserable as Maine fans? Maine hasn't made it to an NCAA playoffs in that time, nor trips to Boston garden to for hockey east championships. You have to be kidding.
                              Last edited by BlackI; 03-23-2019, 12:05 PM.

Comment

I wonder how many current voters saw the players from the 80s and 90s play vs how many are just going by reputation and/or impressive stats.
                                Maybe for some of them they look at who they recognize from NHL. In that regard Niko was better than Steve Kariya.

Comment

Working...
                                X