This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Days Since Last Shooting II

He had up to 19 weapons in his room, per reports. I have no clue about conversion. Not familiar enough with that.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Re: Days Since Last Shooting II

Gurt, maybe but probably quite unlikely (for a conventional wood stock hunting rifle). It's the AR-15 and such that you can really get into and customize.

Going along with what Brent is saying, had a friend of my mom's opine that gun law isn't really to blame here. It's more the sad state of affairs where SO MANY people have lost/are losing hope with the government nonsense daily, with the constant negativity among the public, etc. There's been a lot of things that have sucked the life out of some people. Kind of leads to a vicious circle.

It sucks, it all sucks.

Comment

A couple of buddies have AR-15s.

I've shot them and even really enjoyed the activity.

Surprisingly light and easy to handle. Even fun, when taken out of the context of what they are designed to do. I can see the attraction on certain levels.

That said, no one needs to own one of those.

A sidearm is far more versatile in a home invasion/self defense situation and you can't use an AR-15 for hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post

A sidearm is far more versatile in a home invasion/self defense situation and you can't use an AR-15 for hunting.
        You actually can use it for hunting, maybe not in every state though. Standard caliber is .223, but they do make other calibers (.308 is the main one I'd consider a "hunting" caliber). Even the .223 would be fine as a vermin rifle.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
          You actually can use it for hunting, maybe not in every state though. Standard caliber is .223, but they do make other calibers (.308 is the main one I'd consider a "hunting" caliber). Even the .223 would be fine as a vermin rifle.

Fair enough, but it still isn't needed for hunting.

Comment

Gun laws are absolutely the problem. The law allows people to own them. They serve no purpose but to kill things, which isn't really a good purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
              Gun laws are absolutely the problem. The law allows people to own them. They serve no purpose but to kill things, which isn't really a good purpose.
              I hope that you are not that naive. If one wants a gun in this country, they will get one. Banning them is impossible at this stage of the game. Frankly, I'm two/three calls away from getting an untraceable gun.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                I hope that you are not that naive. If one wants a gun in this country, they will get one. Banning them is impossible at this stage of the game. Frankly, I'm two/three calls away from getting an untraceable gun.
                You are the one being naive. We are the only developed country where this is a normal occurrence. Other countries have walked back from this idiocy. Australia, for example, had very liberal gun laws and high rates of gun ownership. They went through a contentious mandatory buyback (with people protesting/marching opposing it). Suicide rates went down, mass shootings went down. I doubt there would be much political will to roll back their regulations now.

The second amendment is flawed and was written for a different time (and the dismissal of the militia clause and interpretation of an individual right is a fairly recent view). The constitution can be changed for a reason. Most sane countries start with the premis that you don't need to own a gun and then carve out exceptions of who can/should. One problem is this should have been done a long time ago rather than use this as a "us vs them" political issue. Now the number of radicalized gun nuts is astounding, as is the number of guns in circulation.

Just giving up and saying "you can't do anything about this" is pathetic yet it is a prevalent view which quite frankly makes me embarrassed and ashamed to be an American.

Comment

IALTO - the black market connections that are so easy for anyone to tap into.

Yes, anyone can get a gun if they put their mind to it.

Would be much harder to get convertible semi-autos with large magazines if they didn't start out as legal sales.

Good to know that I can come to you though when I need an untraceable weapon.

I know some seedy MFs, and I wouldn't claim to be able to find illegal weapons with one or two calls.

Who knew Brent - who was scared of downtown Minneapolis not so long ago - was so close to the underworld.

Comment

“I’ve been a proponent of the 2nd amendment my entire life. Until the events of last night. I cannot express how wrong I was. We actually have members of our crew with [Concealed Handgun Licenses], and legal firearms on the bus. They were useless.”

"We couldn’t touch them for fear police might think we were part of the massacre and shoot us. A small group (or one man) laid waste to a city with dedicated, fearless police officers desperately trying to help, because of access to an insane amount of fire power."

"Enough is enough."

"Writing my parents and the love of my life a goodbye last night and a living will because I felt like I wasn’t going to live through the night was enough for me to realize that this is completely and totally out of hand."

"We need gun control RIGHT. NOW. My biggest regret is that I stubbornly didn’t realize it until my brothers on the road and myself were threatened by it."

Josh Abbott, the Texas based Josh Abbott Band in attendance that day

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.73df43ae155e
                    Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                      You are the one being naive. We are the only developed country where this is a normal occurrence. Other countries have walked back from this idiocy. Australia, for example, had very liberal gun laws and high rates of gun ownership. They went through a contentious mandatory buyback (with people protesting/marching opposing it). Suicide rates went down, mass shootings went down. I doubt there would be much political will to roll back their regulations now.

The second amendment is flawed and was written for a different time (and the dismissal of the militia clause and interpretation of an individual right is a fairly recent view). The constitution can be changed for a reason. Most sane countries start with the premis that you don't need to own a gun and then carve out exceptions of who can/should. One problem is this should have been done a long time ago rather than use this as a "us vs them" political issue. Now the number of radicalized gun nuts is astounding, as is the number of guns in circulation.

Just giving up and saying "you can't do anything about this" is pathetic yet it is a prevalent view which quite frankly makes me embarrassed and ashamed to be an American.
                      Australia isn't a great comparison. They only have around 7% of the population we do. Their economy is much better for average people. Not to mention they are much stricter than us on immigration. There is no comparable situation to ours.
                      Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                      Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

That is such a straw man. I am 1 or 2 calls away from getting a boatload of heroin what is your point? The gun laws are definitely a problem.
                        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                          Australia isn't a great comparison. They only have around 7% of the population we do. Their economy is much better for average people. Not to mention they are much stricter than us on immigration. There is no comparable situation to ours.
                          No country is going to be a "perfect" comparison because there is only 1 US. That doesn't mean we can't look at cause and effect. Immigration is irrelevant to the gun discussion anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                            Who knew Brent - who was scared of downtown Minneapolis not so long ago - was so close to the underworld.

Fearless now that he's got a pimpmobile.

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                            That is such a straw man. I am 1 or 2 calls away from getting a boatload of heroin what is your point?
                            Loved you in The Big Lebowski!
                            PS - I don't need toe.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                            And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                            Twenty red lights in his honor
                            Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                              Their economy is much better for average people.
                              Yeah, they haven't fallen for the "trickle down" bull ****. Nearly every developed country has a stronger middle class than us.

Comment

Working...
                              X