Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI 2019 Off-Season: Where Did Everyone Go?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by sezenack View Post
    That's a pretty clear step down for him
    How do you figure that?
    ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

• Re: RPI 2019 Off-Season: Where Did Everyone Go?

Uh oh! I see that Simon Kjellberg is listed as from Nashville which was where he was born while his father was in the NHL instead of being listed as from Falun, Sweden where he has lived. Does that mean that we won't have a Swedish flag in the HFH?
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
        Does anyone else think that both the men's and women's staff gets off easily by getting the new players to write why they selected RPI instead of writing something about the players like most schools do, and we used to do years ago?

I am also waiting for a player to write that no other D-I school made an offer.
        The lack of coaches' observations certainly takes them off the hook from tipping their hand as to who's going to make the most contribution/impact, IMO. Particularly with such a large recruiting class, parents, players, and fans are curious as to who's got an advantage heading into the season. This way, it's perceived as a level playing field from the start. But make no mistake, a locker room with 29 players (10 dmen!) is likely to get contentious. There's no way around it when everyone thinks they're a D1 calibre player, I don't care what team you're analyzing.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
          How do you figure that?
          I agree, it seems like a lateral move to me. What would've been a step down is the BU hockey ops position, IMO.

Comment

Does anyone else think that both the men's and women's staff gets off easily by getting the new players to write why they selected RPI instead of writing something about the players like most schools do, and we used to do years ago?

I am also waiting for a player to write that no other D-I school made an offer.
            It’s time to put the coaches back to work describing the players because the recruit quotes are basically all the same. Insert “storied program” and “outstanding academics” into a combo thesaurus/quote generator 9 times and you’ll get that press release. Of course, the coaches would probably stick to cliches as well (hard worker, aggressive, excellent skater, great in the room, etc.) but, hopefully, they can mix them up a bit better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

No surprises.

Now all we need are numbers.
              Just for fun, here are number predictions:
              Ashbrook - 21
              Babichuk - 55
              Calvaruso - 30
              Dubinsky - 25
              Helsen - 5
              Herrman - 9
              Kjellberg - 4
              Klee - 2
              Mahshie - 14

I did this based on their number(s) in juniors. If that number wasn't available, I just guessed with something close.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                How do you figure that?
                Originally posted by FLHockeyMom View Post
                I agree, it seems like a lateral move to me. What would've been a step down is the BU hockey ops position, IMO.
                Technically, it's a lateral move, but Merrimack has no hockey history. Only 2 tournament appearances at the D1 level.

Comment

/
                  Originally posted by sezenack View Post
                  Just for fun, here are number predictions:
                  Ashbrook - 21
                  Babichuk - 55
                  Calvaruso - 30
                  Dubinsky - 25
                  Helsen - 5
                  Herrman - 9
                  Kjellberg - 4
                  Klee - 2
                  Mahshie - 14

I did this based on their number(s) in juniors. If that number wasn't available, I just guessed with something close.
                  I doubt that Babichuk will get 55. We have rarely used numbers greater than 39. He wore 15 in the USHL a year ago. He does seem to like 55.
                  Last edited by Ralph Baer; 07-17-2019, 02:18 PM.
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

They gave started.

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Technically, it's a lateral move, but Merrimack has no hockey history. Only 2 tournament appearances at the D1 level.
                      I wasn't considering hockey history, only the current states of the respective hockey programs. Seems like both are down currently, with nowhere to go but up. But if the question is, did Jewell improve his lot in life? I would unequivocally say "no"!

Comment

I doubt that Babichuk will get 55. We have rarely used numbers greater than 39.
                        I agree, but it's just a fun exercise.

Comment

Originally posted by FLHockeyMom View Post
                          He is from Massachusetts. He may regard this as a return to home.
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I agree, but it's just a fun exercise.
                            I agree.
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Well that's a little different than a "clear step down.." Merrimack may not have any history, but sadly neither does RPI -- in the last 20+ years.

What Jewell gains is a job recruiting and coaching against a better league with better players than the ECAC. If he has any measure of success in either regard, its a career step up. He'll be working not only for Borek, but also with his former boss Bob Emery who 'Mack brought on board as director of hockey ops following 620 + careers wins at the helm at Plattsburgh -5th all time among ALL hockey coaches. (Yes, I understand its not D1, but you can't win that many games without knowing how to recruit AND teach kids the game)

Off the ice, I can tell you that the leadership at Merrimack is passionate and hell bent on growing the school - including athletics. The men's lacrosse team just successfully defended their DII national championship, the women's team won the league title and the school is taking all of their sports to D1. The leadership gets it....the same cannot be said in Troy.
                              ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

He is from Massachusetts. He may regard this as a return to home.
                                He’s from Medford, NY, which is on Long Island. I assume you were thinking of Medford, MA, which is in the shadow of Tufts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X