No announcement yet.

RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019 Part II: We're Just Gonna Complain, Don't Bother Reading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019 Part II: We're Just Gonna Complain, Don't Bother Reading

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
    FD: We are a better team than we were at the beginning of the season and better than last year. But there are some teams that we match up better against than others which has almost always been the case. Princeton presents problems that some other teams do not. Dartmouth has also been one of those poor match ups over the past several years. Last night it was their size and strength that was seemed to be a problem. We often perform better against teams that are far better than some of the teams that we struggle against. Even when we are one of the best teams in college hockey (1984, 1985) we will have some teams that are just more difficult for us even when they are not a powerhouse.
    You are right on though in that next weekend the Princeton game is crucial. In my book that is a must win or at least a must not to lose. BTW i would not look at the QU game as a sure loss. They are by far the higher regarded team but in some recent years we have played some of our better hockey against them (only to tie or lose). And I have the feeling that if we have good defensive communication and an extremely hot Owen Savory in goal, some teams start to clench the stick harder and it can get into their psyche a bit. i am sure many of us got a bit nervous when Dartmouth ran him late in the game last night. He took a long time to get up and from my prejudiced view they deserved at least a 2 minute penalty! (which I will bet we would have been called for if the skate was on the other foot)
    Doc, it seemed to me that the match up with Dartmouth was very similar to the match up with Cornell. But we didn't play the same suffocating man to man defense that we did against Cornell. This may have been by design, but I think it cost us.
    As for running into the goalie, teams have been getting away with that against us for years.
    And that call against us in OT was awful. I would have been upset if he made it in the first period, but in OT it was just not called for. JMO
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin
    The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
    Gary Player

Comment

• Re: RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019 Part II: We're Just Gonna Complain, Don't Bother Reading

FD: We are a better team than we were at the beginning of the season and better than last year. But there are some teams that we match up better against than others which has almost always been the case. Princeton presents problems that some other teams do not. Dartmouth has also been one of those poor match ups over the past several years. Last night it was their size and strength that was seemed to be a problem. We often perform better against teams that are far better than some of the teams that we struggle against. Even when we are one of the best teams in college hockey (1984, 1985) we will have some teams that are just more difficult for us even when they are not a powerhouse.
      You are right on though in that next weekend the Princeton game is crucial. In my book that is a must win or at least a must not to lose. BTW i would not look at the QU game as a sure loss. They are by far the higher regarded team but in some recent years we have played some of our better hockey against them (only to tie or lose). And I have the feeling that if we have good defensive communication and an extremely hot Owen Savory in goal, some teams start to clench the stick harder and it can get into their psyche a bit. i am sure many of us got a bit nervous when Dartmouth ran him late in the game last night. He took a long time to get up and from my prejudiced view they deserved at least a 2 minute penalty! (which I will bet we would have been called for if the skate was on the other foot)
      Based on what I've seen with that sort of run-in before, I was actually expecting matching minors.

The Quinnipiac game, as I touted over in the other thread, is #1 goaltender vs. #3 goaltender in terms of national save percentage. Given that's the defensive game to watch, it'll probably end up being a sieve-fest, but it should be fun. I hadn't written it off, in fact I intend to pick what I usually pick for that matchup: a tie.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
        Based on what I've seen with that sort of run-in before, I was actually expecting matching minors.

The Quinnipiac game, as I touted over in the other thread, is #1 goaltender vs. #3 goaltender in terms of national save percentage. Given that's the defensive game to watch, it'll probably end up being a sieve-fest, but it should be fun. I hadn't written it off, in fact I intend to pick what I usually pick for that matchup: a tie.
        FD, 100% agreed on the matching minors would have been appropriate if calls had been made. Sellar stops and is clipped from the side by Johnson causing him (both to bowl over Savory). I would also add that Sellar was no saint all night with Savory, any D man would have done the same thing to protect their goalie.

As for the the call in OT, total BS. Two things very iffy hooking and just cannot be called in OT.

Savory was the best RPI player last night.

Comment

Originally posted by BIG Green View Post
          FD, 100% agreed on the matching minors would have been appropriate if calls had been made. Sellar stops and is clipped from the side by Johnson causing him (both to bowl over Savory). I would also add that Sellar was no saint all night with Savory, any D man would have done the same thing to protect their goalie.

As for the the call in OT, total BS. Two things very iffy hooking and just cannot be called in OT.

Savory was the best RPI player last night.
          I only had radio last night, and didn't see the play in the highlight pack. However, regardless of the team, I cannot agree with the "not in OT" premise. Either it's a penalty or it's not. Rules are rules, no matter where in the game it is. If it was a non-conference game in the middle of the first period, would it have been called? And why is it any different for OT or playoffs? Whether it was actually hooking or not can certainly be up for debate, but that's where it should lie. Nothing else under consideration.

Comment

highlight video
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUPDd_KB0rk
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
              I only had radio last night, and didn't see the play in the highlight pack. However, regardless of the team, I cannot agree with the "not in OT" premise. Either it's a penalty or it's not. Rules are rules, no matter where in the game it is. If it was a non-conference game in the middle of the first period, would it have been called? And why is it any different for OT or playoffs? Whether it was actually hooking or not can certainly be up for debate, but that's where it should lie. Nothing else under consideration.
              You are absolutely right in your assessment of calling penalties. However, the game has never been called that way, and much more obvious calls have been let go in the more critical parts of the game.
              That call in OT should never have been made, as it was not so obvious and it did not even slow the puck carrier down. If it would have stopped a great scoring chance, than I would have reluctantly accepted it, but it had no affect on the play of the game.
              I saw the play and the only thing it did was show what a bad referee would do in an OT situation.
              Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
              Benjamin Franklin
              Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                You are absolutely right in your assessment of calling penalties. However, the game has never been called that way, and much more obvious calls have been let go in the more critical parts of the game.
                That call in OT should never have been made, as it was not so obvious and it did not even slow the puck carrier down. If it would have stopped a great scoring chance, than I would have reluctantly accepted it, but it had no affect on the play of the game.
                I saw the play and the only thing it did was show what a bad referee would do in an OT situation.
                EHF-Could not agree more. As long as the teams involved int he contest know how the game will be called, that is how it should be. For almost 65 years I have been following the NHL and especially the Stanley Cup playoffs. It is understood that once you reach overtime in those playoffs, the call of the game changes a bit but it has consistently been so for as long as I can remember. You virtually have to draw blood to get a penalty. But as longas both teams know this and are treated the same, that is the way it is and has been. In college hockey you can have it any way you want but as long as it is consistently applied to both teams. if the officials have been calling every possible penalty for 60 minutes and want to continue to do so in OT, then let both teams be aware of it and treat both the same. But if the officials want to call the first 60 minutes tightly and then let everything go in OT, also let both teams know that and treat both teams the same. That's all you can ask for. I hate when the fate of any game is left to an official who makes a call that is just blatantly one sided while allowing the same offense to go unnoticed against the other team. But it is magnified in hockey because of sudden death in OT.
                Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Welp, with Union's win over Dartmouth, the way to home ice is further away, in fact we would end up facing #26 in the 1st round if the season were to end today. And with Princeton beating Ylae*, Friday's game is that much more important.

Comment

EHF-Could not agree more. As long as the teams involved int he contest know how the game will be called, that is how it should be. For almost 65 years I have been following the NHL and especially the Stanley Cup playoffs. It is understood that once you reach overtime in those playoffs, the call of the game changes a bit but it has consistently been so for as long as I can remember. You virtually have to draw blood to get a penalty. But as longas both teams know this and are treated the same, that is the way it is and has been. In college hockey you can have it any way you want but as long as it is consistently applied to both teams. if the officials have been calling every possible penalty for 60 minutes and want to continue to do so in OT, then let both teams be aware of it and treat both the same. But if the officials want to call the first 60 minutes tightly and then let everything go in OT, also let both teams know that and treat both teams the same. That's all you can ask for. I hate when the fate of any game is left to an official who makes a call that is just blatantly one sided while allowing the same offense to go unnoticed against the other team. But it is magnified in hockey because of sudden death in OT.
                    Doc, I have been following the NHL for almost as long as you, and I can remember an interview with a player back when the games were in black and white on Saturday afternoons. All the player said when asked about officiating was that the players wanted it to be consistent. As as long as I can remember, when a close game went into the third period and later went into OT, a penalty wouldn't be called unless it took away a really good scoring opportunity. Judging by the way Friday's game was officiated, that call in OT went against everything I have seen in the last 62 years.
                    Benjamin Franklin
                    Gary Player

Comment

Someone with more time than me what are our last 17 freakout results
                      Also what is our % chance of home ice first round
                      Lastly I was calling for savory since game 1
                      I bleed CHERRY AND WHITE

Comment

• Originally posted by rvd5star69 View Post
                        Guess it’s me with too much time on my hands.
                        RPI is 7-9-1 in the last 17 BRF’s. currently on a 5-game losing streak (longest in Freakout history). Last win was 4-1 over Brown in 2014.
                        As far as our chances of making the Top 8, Lugnut is much more involved with that than I am. Check his ECAC standings thread, which he updates weekly.

And either you knew a lot about Savory or had no faith in Marshall...

Comment

Originally posted by rvd5star69 View Post
                          About 8% to have home ice in the first round (and 0.0004% for a bye). More likely destinations are Union, Brown, and Dartmouth, at 20-25% each.

(This is all based on KRACH, so take it with the appropriately-sized grain of salt)
                          RPI Pep Band
                          GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
                          🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
                          2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
                          2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                            Doc, I have been following the NHL for almost as long as you, and I can remember an interview with a player back when the games were in black and white on Saturday afternoons. All the player said when asked about officiating was that the players wanted it to be consistent. As as long as I can remember, when a close game went into the third period and later went into OT, a penalty wouldn't be called unless it took away a really good scoring opportunity. Judging by the way Friday's game was officiated, that call in OT went against everything I have seen in the last 62 years.
                            Exactly! I understand there have been some changes and in college level athletics the emphasis has rightly been placed on safety first. But that aside, all you want is that a game be called consistently which to me means fairly. I have seen far too many times that all momentum we gain during a game lost as we get put down two men on what seems fairly innocuous plays that have gone over looked (often on both sides). Suddenly a goal or two is scored and the game has been completely changed by officials. BTW I do believe it is only home cooking officiating as I have seen it happen in Troy against us. does it happen to other teams? For certain. But i do not follow their games and leave it to their fans to complain about those episodes.

Comment

Been awful quiet in here for the past couple days. Can almost here a pin drop!

Comment

Been awful quiet in here for the past couple days. Can almost here a pin drop!
                                Was that the 10 pin which dropped?
                                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X