Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game of Thrones Season 6: Lions and Wolves and Sand Snakes, oh my!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Game of Thrones Season 6: Lions and Wolves and Sand Snakes, oh my!

Every time we ***** about the series, D&D kill another direwolf. Monsters.
    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Comment

For some reason I can't wrap my head around that ending. Sad nonetheless, though.
        the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
          For some reason I can't wrap my head around that ending. Sad nonetheless, though.
          You'd think Father Merrin would have enough sense to tell the kid not to let the Night King touch him.

Maybe Melisandre can bring Summer and Hodor back....

Comment

Watching the after-show bit where the producers discussed the ending, they said that one came directly from a conversation with GRRM. The silent ending worked very well.

At the same time, is there anything Bran can't F up? At the same time, Lor San Tekka should've warned Bran about Night King Frostillicus's touchie-feelie powers even in the dream world.
            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

That's the part that makes me feel like the North Of The Wall storyline feels a little bit Dorned right now.

In the span of a few minutes of screen time, Bran breaks a super critical rule that someone should have told him about, the entire ****ing White Walker/wight (Wight Walker?) army shows up and all but two characters are dead with really no logical reason to expect them to survive (beyond tv magic and Bran still "having a story to tell").
              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Spoiler:

The gimmick was ripped off from A Prayer for Owen Meany, but John Updike was hot Eastern Bias garbage so good for them. In fact I'm sure Updike ripped it off from someone talented.

In time travel terms: Future Hodor's trance state connects him to Past Hodor for just long enough that at the crisis, when all that matters for him to hold the door, that encirclement of his Being is participated in by Past Hodor, turning him into an instrument to accomplish that single purpose for the rest of his life.

Which, given what a pathetic loser Bran is, is a waste of a perfectly good life, even if it's a prophetic commentary on the terrible waste of human potential in a unequal economic and political order. Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

I loved the play. That is exactly how it would go down, too, complete with fart jokes. I am impatient for The Girl to figure out she's not cut out for this faceless silliness. Tell them "not today." You be you, girl.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                  You'd think Father Merrin would have enough sense to tell the kid not to let the Night King touch him.
                  Yeah, we've got two choices. Either (1) he did tell him and Bran is even more of a useless loser* than we thought, or (2) he didn't tell him, in which case, really? You had one job.

* Jesus, what a family. No wonder none of the other northern families are helping them out. Ramsey may be insane, but at least he's competent. Every member of the Starks has so far failed in everything they have attempted, and cost thousands of their loved ones, loyalists, and mercenaries their dignity, limbs and/or lives. They're like the Bushes of Winterfell. Snuff out the line, already, they've done enough damage.
                  Last edited by Kepler; 05-23-2016, 08:29 AM.
                  Cornell University
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Based on Brynden Rivers reaction to Bran thinking Ned heard him in the Tower of Joy vision, saying that it isn't possible. I took it to mean that Brynden didn't think that even the Night's King could interact with Bran in his visions. He didn't know. Once Bran woke everyone up screaming, and he said that the Nights King saw him. Brynden's intuition, and the fact that he's kind of an "all-knowing" being. He immediately realized what happened. He didn't warn Bran, because he didn't think it was possible. As soon as it happened, he knew what the significance was.
                    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I'll attempt to answer SoH's questions about how the Hodor scene worked. I think I have come up with an explanation that works.

Bran is currently greenseeing, the past in the courtyard at Winterfell. Since he is in that state, he cannot warg into Hodor, like he has in the past. But, while in the past, he was able to use his powers transport Hodor's consciousness, from when he was young (you can see, that Young Wyllis sees Bran, right before he passes out), to Hodor in the past. That is why we see Young Wyllis's eyes turn white, like he's warging, because he essentially is. From his young self, into the future, into his older body. So, Hodor in the cave is not Bran warging into him, that is Hodor doing these things at his own volition, but he's doing it as Young Wyllis. Since Hodor dies, Young Wyllis is stuck in that state for the rest of his days, only knowing that he is "Hold the Door" or "Hodor". That is the last thing in his mind when Hodor is killed, and it stays with Hodor for his whole life. Bran is greenseeing the whole time, and is not warging into Hodor at all during that scene.
                      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I don't know if this goes in the Gear Grinding thread or here, but I need to rant for a bit.

A friend of mine complained on Facebook last night about having the episode "ruined" by other people posting about it on FB after it had already aired. Her complaint was that since not everyone watches it live, people shouldn't post about it that night. I just wanted to ask... why the f are you on social media immediately after a show that has massive viewership and is one of the most talked about? She admitted she started watching it right after the TB/Pitt game ended but she was perusing facebook during the time.

****, people are dumb.

Comment

Originally posted by cF[Authentic] View Post
                          I don't know if this goes in the Gear Grinding thread or here, but I need to rant for a bit.

A friend of mine complained on Facebook last night about having the episode "ruined" by other people posting about it on FB after it had already aired. Her complaint was that since not everyone watches it live, people shouldn't post about it that night. I just wanted to ask... why the f are you on social media immediately after a show that has massive viewership and is one of the most talked about? She admitted she started watching it right after the TB/Pitt game ended but she was perusing facebook during the time.

****, people are dumb.
                          Yep. When I don't watch right away, I avoid any place that I might see spoilers. It really isn't that tough.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by cF[Authentic] View Post

****, people are dumb.
                            Rosebud is a sled.

I don't have any sympathy for those who see spoilers after something has already aired. Yesterday's GoT was different though, since someone in Europe released the show early so it was available all day Sunday if you wanted to pirate it. By mid-afternoon it was available on the torrent site I use. Fortunately I didn't see it until after the fact, but someone began marketing "Hold the Door" t-shirts hours before the episode aired in the United States. If I had the ending spoiled because of pirates or some stupid marketing campaign I'd be furious. But again, that's BEFORE the show officially aired. Once it has aired, it is fair game. If you don't want spoilers, get off the Internet.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                              Once it has aired, it is fair game. If you don't want spoilers, get off the Internet.
                              Nobody watches things when they air anymore. Give people a week after airing. Don't be that guy.
                              Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                                Nobody watches things when they air anymore. Give people a week after airing. Don't be that guy.
                                It's not like I go out of my way to spoil things. I'm not the guy driving past Waldenbooks at midnight screaming "Snape kills Dumbledore!" at people who just got the Harry Potter book. But a lot of people like to talk about TV shows as soon as they air. If you are in the minority who does the time-shifting binge watching then stay off the Internet. I used to work nights so pretty much all my shows were DVR only. If I didn't want to be spoiled I stayed offline until I had watched.

Comment

Working...
                                X