Mercyhurst 2017-2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mercyhurst 2017-2018

This years' seniors are 3-3 vs Colgate, although the last 3 were won by Colgate. Lifetime, Mercyhurst is 18-5-2 vs Colgate. Game is at six, and I am hoping it will stream free, as last week's NU series did.

I wonder how often a program plays a non conference opponent 4 years straight? I like it, but I have to think the programs will take a break from each other soon, even if only for a year. Another reason to leave it all on the ice this weekend.

A tough test, as Slapshot said. I'm excited to see what plays out. Let's go Lakers!

Comment

Tough break for the Lakers last night, OT goal by Colgate hit the mesh with 0.1 seconds on the clock. Lakers played well, lets' hope the momentum carries to game 2 and the OT loss is past history. Regroup and come out flyin' !!

Comment

Excited to follow the Lakers take on Penn State Friday and Saturday. The girls are coming off a bye weekend, and probably eager to get back on the ice and make a statement against a hardworking Penn State team. Going to predict a 2 win weekend for Mercyhurst. They have the edge in talent, but they’ll have to work extremely hard for every point. It’s the nature of hockey, but especially league play. Last year the Lakers went 3-1 vs Penn State. Thus far they are 1-6-1 on the year, same record they had last year going into Penn State weekend.

Freshman Vasko leads the team in points with 5 assists. Tanskanen got a couple of goals at Colgate, and KK Thiessen got her first collegiate goal as well. Congrats to both. ... now let’s get some wins!

Let’s go Lakers!

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
          Excited to follow the Lakers take on Penn State Friday and Saturday. The girls are coming off a bye weekend, and probably eager to get back on the ice and make a statement against a hardworking Penn State team. Going to predict a 2 win weekend for Mercyhurst. They have the edge in talent, but they’ll have to work extremely hard for every point. It’s the nature of hockey, but especially league play. Last year the Lakers went 3-1 vs Penn State. Thus far they are 1-6-1 on the year, same record they had last year going into Penn State weekend.

Freshman Vasko leads the team in points with 5 assists. Tanskanen got a couple of goals at Colgate, and KK Thiessen got her first collegiate goal as well. Congrats to both. ... now let’s get some wins!

Let’s go Lakers!
          I'm really looking forward to this series with Mercyhurst because it's always a good test for Penn State, and Penn State always seems to want to win this one just a little bit more than the other conference games. I don't like that Mercyhurst is coming off a bye weekend, but you take them as they come. I'm thinking Penn State might have Daniela Paniccia in net, at least for one game, because I'm not sure Hannah Ehresmann is 100% yet (good as she's playing). It sounds like both teams have a motivated freshman class, so this should be fun.

Comment

It should be an interesting and exciting weekend series. Let's hope the bye week has the Mercy girls well rested and rarin' to go, but Penn State has been playing well.

Comment

Lakers have their first opportunity at a sweep this year, after getting a 3-1 win at Penn State yesterday. McDonnell got the win in net, so I expect she’ll start today. So far the goalies have split each series. Game time is at 2 pm - Zed has shared the free link in the Penn State thread.

Tanskanen had a pair of goals yesterday, extending her streak to four games. SRD (I like that) was on the ice for all 3 goals for, and had a 2 point game. I have enjoyed watching Hartwick and her confidence with the puck, just about every game. She’s gotta be due for some goals, but big picture who cares, let’s just win right? Was also nice to see Robello dress yesterday, although I am not sure how much ice she got. Rooting for her, and all the Lakers today.

Let’s go Lakers!

Comment

A sweep would have been nice but 3 out of 4 points is OK too. Penn State played mercy well in game two but it was nice to see Mercy keep their composure and get that tying goal towards the latter part of the game. A long series of road trips now replaced with some home dates. Think that will make everyone on the team happy

Comment

Originally posted by slapshot willy View Post
                  A sweep would have been nice but 3 out of 4 points is OK too. Penn State played mercy well in game two but it was nice to see Mercy keep their composure and get that tying goal towards the latter part of the game. A long series of road trips now replaced with some home dates. Think that will make everyone on the team happy
                  Yea, a nice weekend by Mercyhurst. I watched most of the second game (missed the Laker goal ) and felt Mercyhurst controlled most the play and played well.

It just dawned on me this weekend that Mercyhurst has only had one home series so far this year. It will be nice for them to play at home for a stretch - first up, Minnesota.

Comment

http://www.hurstathletics.com/news/2...minnesota.aspx

Game day! Lakers host Minnesota at 3 pm today. Interesting that the programs have only played each other 7 times in 19 years. Last time was 2009, when the Lakers got their only win against Minnesota. Thank you Meghan Agosta, no doubt.

I don’t have the time to do it, but it would be neat to see an all time spreadsheet of who has played who. Some non conference teams play each other so much they are practically in conference, others barely ever play each other.

It will be exciting to host Minnesota. A great challenge, but a great opportunity too. Might go watch a game depending on the weather. I want to see the Lakers, want to see Zumwinkle, and hope they get a good crowd too. Goooo Lakers!

Comment

That 2-1 OT loss to the Gophers hurts especially since the girls played so hard, especially in the 3rd. Too many men in OT, leading to a game winning pp goal by Minny ? Ouch. But Mercy should hold their heads high. They did well and hopefully will again tomorrow. A few chances for the Lakers to win the game towards the end of the third also.

Comment

The Lakers got their first home win, and first non conference win of the season yesterday against RPI, improving to 3-8-2 on the season. They play today at 1, with a chance to get their first sweep of the season. Last year the series vs RPI represented the Lakers’ sole non conference sweep for the year.

The win yesterday was welcome, as is always the case, but was especially nice after a bye weekend and post Thanksgiving. You never know what you are going to get when routines are disrupted (Wisconsin and Colgate losses yesterday, for example) so to get past that hurdle is good. A let down today would be unfortunate.

The shots were pretty close yesterday, and Mercyhurst did all its scoring in the first period, except for the empty netter. Impressively, goalie McDonnell earned an assist on one of the goals as well. Another good game is needed out of McDonnell today for sure.

I also have my eye on the RMU series vs OSU this weekend, as Mercyhurst faces them next week. RMU lost 7-3, in another game where the shots were even. RMU appears to not have the goaltending it had last year although OSU does have talented shooters. I’m eager to see Mercyhurst finally face RMU and Syracuse in December as none of those three have played each other yet, and other than Penn State’s ability to tie seemingly everyone in the nation, not just in the CHA, we don’t yet know a ton about the CHA regular season performances of the top four CHA teams.

But today, take care of RPI. Let’s go Lakers!

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
                          I’m eager to see Mercyhurst finally face RMU and Syracuse in December, as none of those three have played each other yet, and other than Penn State’s ability to tie seemingly everyone in the nation, not just in the CHA, we don’t yet know a ton about the CHA regular season performances of the top four CHA teams.
                          I'm with you on that - I want to see Mercyhurst face both Robert Morris and Syracuse to get a much better feel for what seems like a weird CHA so far this season. I know I'm biased, but the CHA standings right now aren't a real indication of things. Robert Morris couldn't beat Penn State in two games, and had to rally in the third period in both games just to salvage a tie in each, so I don't think they're as untouchable as a lot of people think they are. Do as Penn State did, and just shut down Brittany Howard and Robert Morris doesn't seem to have an answer. Mercyhurst did a better job against Penn State, and so did Syracuse.

The CHA will start to take real shape after Mercyhurst plays Robert Morris and Syracuse before the holiday break. Penn State has RIT next weekend as its final series before the break, but that's not really going to settle anything.

Comment

Mercy will not bounce back from a rough start unless they stay out of the box. Lazy and stupid penalties. You can't win a game in any sport when you are always playing short-handed.

Comment

Originally posted by slapshot willy View Post
                              Mercy will not bounce back from a rough start unless they stay out of the box. Lazy and stupid penalties. You can't win a game in any sport when you are always playing short-handed.
                              For me that was the most disappointing loss of the season. Just a squandered opportunity, plus it guts any momentum going into next week. You are right about the penalties, especially with the PK running below 90%.

Comment

http://www.hurstathletics.com/news/2...rt-morris.aspx

Game preview for the RMU series this weekend. Mercyhurst makes the two hour trip from Erie down to Pittsburgh for Friday and Saturday games. Last year RMU took seven out of eight points against Mercyhurst, including three 2-1 wins. Last time they played to a tie.

A note on Brittany Howard who’s making a bunch of noise in her senior year. The team most successful against her this year was Penn State who held her to one point all weekend, second most successful was Lindenwood and Maine who both held her to two points. She’s had three six point weekends (RIT, MSU, Brown), so definitely don’t want her to get going. Other scorers on RMU have emerged; at the beginning of the year I wondered if they might not have much depth.

In conference RMU averages 4.33 goals per game to Mercyhurst’s 3.00.

On Mercyhurst Tanskanen, Dobson, Knott and Blasen each have seven points, tied for team lead.

RMU is the favorite in the series, but as this week’s Wednesday Women column pointed out, Mercyhurst is a team that forced Colgate, SLU and Minnesota to overtime this year. RMU has faced a weaker schedule than Mercyhurst thus far though, so it will be good to finally see the two teams go head to head.

I’m guessing but I would think these two teams consider each other their biggest rival. This year it’s a match up of the 2016 CHA champ vs the 2017 CHA champ. Should be great games every time they meet.

Comment

Working...
                                X