Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MLB 2019: Every Year at Playoff Time, The Dodgers Find A Way to Choke.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: MLB 2019: Every Year at Playoff Time, The Dodgers Find A Way to Choke.

Originally posted by MadTownSioux View Post
    holy Crap. 8 dingers in 1 game?
    Not the first time this year. It's sick.

(It's also the new era of baseball with all the analytics/launch angle/blah blah blah).
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by MadTownSioux View Post
      holy Crap. 8 dingers in 1 game?
      7 of them 400'+. I read on another board that it was .63 miles of homeruns.
      the state of hockey is good

Comment

• Originally posted by The Rube View Post
        (It's also the new era of baseball with all the analytics/launch angle/blah blah blah).
        You're full of sh**.

It's the baseballs.

No, seriously, it's the balls.

It's been proven that each of these minuscule changes by the ball manufacturer, within the tight MLB rules even, have created the problem. There has already been a 50% increase in home runs in Triple A since their switch to using MLB baseballs over MiLB baseballs.

MLB refuses to admit they created this monster.
        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
          You're full of sh**.

It's the baseballs.

No, seriously, it's the balls.

It's been proven that each of these minuscule changes by the ball manufacturer, within the tight MLB rules even, have created the problem. There has already been a 50% increase in home runs in Triple A since their switch to using MLB baseballs over MiLB baseballs.

MLB refuses to admit they created this monster.
          I may admit I'm partially full of sh*. The analytics with the launch, velocity, etc has contributed. "They" have figured out that small ball doesn't really count anymore. So it's HR, BB, K. Period. I think it's horrible.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Rube View Post
            I may admit I'm partially full of sh*. The analytics with the launch, velocity, etc has contributed. "They" have figured out that small ball doesn't really count anymore. So it's HR, BB, K. Period. I think it's horrible.
            Quit watching ESPN broadcasts.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

To be fair Brent, MLB Network does talk about the analytics of things very heavily, but their discussion always seems to swing back around to just plain old mechanics in the end. A hitter doesnt have time to perform Advanced Calculus during pitch delivery, so thinking about how to angle the hit breaks down to "lemme just swing low to get under it and hope I connect."

The combination of more pitchers throwing faster at such sustained rates has caused batters to adopt a "swing and pray" method.

Teams are finding new quirks to disrupt even modern analytics. The Brewers, Rays, and I think even the Yankees, all tried (with mixed results) starting the game with a relief pitcher, get through 2 innings, then start the "starter" for the next 5 or 6.

While analyitcs may be "ruining" the sport, the increase in home runs so uniformly across the board isn't a result of data.

It's the result of so many minor tweaks to the baseball, as has been proven so easily.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Teams are finding new quirks to disrupt even modern analytics. The Brewers, Rays, and I think even the Yankees, all tried (with mixed results) starting the game with a relief pitcher, get through 2 innings, then start the "starter" for the next 5 or 6.

A's did it too in September (with Hendriks usually as the opener and Mengden as the bridge guy) and broke it out again earlier this season because it's one less inning of having to watch Aaron Brooks
                https://twitter.com/TheVTHockeyBlog
                https://thevermonthockeyblog.wordpress.com/

Frozen Four: '96, '09
                NCAA Tournament: '88, '96, '97, '09, '10, '14

/r/collegehockey moderator
                Fan of the UVM Catamounts, Charlotte Hornets, Oakland A's, and Philadelphia Union

Comment

While analyitcs may be "ruining" the sport, the increase in home runs so uniformly across the board isn't a result of data.
                  If a third of the field of runners suddenly drops a full second off the 100 meters record, that means a coaching breakthrough.

If everyone in the field of runners suddenly drops a full second off the 100 meters record, that means the course was laid out at 90 meters.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by aparch View Post
                    ...A hitter doesnt have time to perform Advanced Calculus during pitch delivery...
                    Au contraire

https://youtu.be/YSPaLiTBL3E
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

IDGAF how the Twins are winning. Im just happy they ARE winning.
                      PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                      Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                      NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Quit watching ESPN broadcasts.
                        I don't recall the last time I watched ESPN unless it was on at the restaurant/bar I was at.

Analytics IS changing the game, period. And I don't think it's for the better.

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                          The balls, as has been point out, are the heavy contributor but I definitely agree that the modern "Three True Outcome" approach has had an impact as well. If you're a ball player, knowing the balls are juiced, wouldn't you at least try to get in on the long ball increase? Home runs get you paid.
                          I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

Originally posted by Swansong View Post
                            The balls, as has been point out, are the heavy contributor but I definitely agree that the modern "Three True Outcome" approach has had an impact as well. If you're a ball player, knowing the balls are juiced, wouldn't you at least try to get in on the long ball increase? Home runs get you paid.
                            And once it percolates down through development that's all they know how to do.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                              I dunno. I imagine BA's are up and if so a possible kink in this claim would be are the average # of 2Bs and 3Bs per game up or down over the same time period.

Also analytics haven't just improved hitting. They assist pitching and defense, coaching decisions, lineups, batting orders...

How many pitcher overlays have been shared at GPL showing just filthy pitches that make the hitter look absolutely silly? Being able to release the ball at the same exact angle yet the pitch could be a 2-seamer or a breaking pitch?

It's the ball, Jerry. The ball.

Comment

Originally posted by Swansong View Post
                                "Chicks dig the long ball."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjkuJPvMrI8
                                Russell Jaslow
                                [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                                U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Working...
                                X