X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: >>> RIT Tigers Offseason: Looking forward to more in 2019-20 <<<

Originally posted by Tom Naeger View Post
    Somebody wants a free trip to Ireland... I would too but I have a feeling Campbell would get first dibs on the overhead compartment and I don't think I would fit nor would I want to be placed under your seats...
    Cargo...
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
      Cargo...
      Can I get that foam stuff??? I hate packing peanuts...
      Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Thomas M. Naeger
      The Mule
      Rochester Institute of Technology '03

"Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

If I may be allowed to dream for moment. If you take the 7 teams who are walking away from the WCHA, put the two Minnesota schools in the NCHA, then take the remaining 5 and mix them in with Canisius, Mercyhurst, Niagara, and RIT. Call it the Great Lakes Conference. Can dreams come true????

Thomas M. Naeger
        The Mule

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

If I may be allowed to dream for moment. If you take the 7 teams who are walking away from the WCHA, put the two Minnesota schools in the NCHA, then take the remaining 5 and mix them in with Canisius, Mercyhurst, Niagara, and RIT. Call it the Great Lakes Conference. Can dreams come true????
          Believe it or not, I was thinking along those lines after listening to Ed and Jim on the podcast.

Of course, the problem still persists that RIT won't be able to offer scholarships...
          Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Trefzger View Post
            Apparently there was something amiss with his physical and he wasn't able to take the ice during the Dev camp, although he did still attend.

Straight from the horse's mouth: https://www.nhl.com/sabres/news/buff...edium=referral

Comment

put the two Minnesota schools in the NCHA
              Interesting idea, but in a D-III league they wouldn't be eligible for the postseason.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Jordan Ruby has signed with the Wheeling Nailers of the ECHL. He's been bouncing back and forth between the ECHL and the SPHL since he left RIT, but it's good to see him get another contract.

Other recent signings of former Tigers:
                Jeff Smith has signed with EHC Neuwied of the Regionalliga in Germany.
                Bobby Raymond has signed with the Iserlohn Roosters of the DEL in Germany.

Comment

• Originally posted by Haaafs View Post
                  Jordan Ruby has signed with the Wheeling Nailers of the ECHL. He's been bouncing back and forth between the ECHL and the SPHL since he left RIT, but it's good to see him get another contract.

Other recent signings of former Tigers:
                  Jeff Smith has signed with EHC Neuwied of the Regionalliga in Germany.
                  Bobby Raymond has signed with the Iserlohn Roosters of the DEL in Germany.
                  I wonder if compensation is better in the Euro Leagues. I don’t have a large sampling but I once was speaking with a parent whose kid was playing in the echl and was hoping that his son would eventually sign on with a European team to make a little money and see the world before giving up playing professionally. I think I would hope the same if I was fortunate enough to have a son scratching out a career playing professional hockey after college. Anybody have any insight? If the NHL is probably not in the future do you head to Europe. We’ve seen a bunch of RIT players make a name for themselves overseas and hopefully have a good time doing it.
                  RPI Engineers
                  RIT Tigers
                  ARMY Black Knights

Comment

Believe it or not, I was thinking along those lines after listening to Ed and Jim on the podcast.

Of course, the problem still persists that RIT won't be able to offer scholarships...
                    Think how awesome a logo could be for the Great Lakes Conference, hockey stick wrapped around the lakes...

Great Podcast, if anyone doesn't listen to Ed and Jim's podcast they are missing great info.

I will just say I've sounded off more often on not on the scholarships being an issue that the RIT administration can fix...
                    Last edited by Tom Naeger; 07-09-2019, 07:51 AM.

Thomas M. Naeger
                    The Mule

Comment

Great Podcast, if anyone doesn't listen to Ed and Jim's podcast they are missing great info.
                      My all time favorite podcast was last year when Jim suddenly went off on a rant about Minnesota fans constantly whining about the B1G. And after he was done, Ed quietly ... and quickly ... signs off.

I almost crashed my car I was laughing so hard.
                      Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
                        Interesting idea, but in a D-III league they wouldn't be eligible for the postseason.

Powers &8^]
                        Don't want to speak for him, but believe he meant the NCHC.
                        Of course that brings up the issue of who exactly "puts" those teams into that conference. There are reasons why Bemidji and Mankato were not involved with the NCHC to begin with.
                        Can't we all just get along?
                        Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

All potential upgrades of RIT's conference affiliation makes this persistent problem bigger and bigger. That specific proposal wouldn't create a conference with too much higher caliber than the AHA, but high enough considering RIT would be the only scholarship-free member.
                          Can't we all just get along?
                          Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

I will just say I've sounded off more often on not on the scholarships being an issue that the RIT administration can fix...
                            Technically, yes, but I'm not sure it's practical.

Moving to D-II is a lengthy and expensive process, and it means more scholarships than just hockey's. And the only other D-II university nearby is Roberts, but I'm not sure the ECC is a good geographic or philosophic fit for RIT.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
                              All potential upgrades of RIT's conference affiliation makes this persistent problem bigger and bigger. That specific proposal wouldn't create a conference with too much higher caliber than the AHA, but high enough considering RIT would be the only scholarship-free member.
                              I'm not really agreeing with that. While there is some merit to what you say giving the growth of the AHA, the teams I am talking about all have long standing traditions, teams that won national champion (even it it has been awhile), and the same if not better following than RIT. That is still the one thing the AHA really struggles with is putting butts in seats and fans who actually follow the team.

My all time favorite podcast was last year when Jim suddenly went off on a rant about Minnesota fans constantly whining about the B1G. And after he was done, Ed quietly ... and quickly ... signs off.

I almost crashed my car I was laughing so hard.
                              And somewhere out there, Scott Biggar was thinking to himself, "Now Ed knows how I feel..."

When Jim turns off his politics he has some great rants!

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
                              Technically, yes, but I'm not sure it's practical.

Moving to D-II is a lengthy and expensive process, and it means more scholarships than just hockey's. And the only other D-II university nearby is Roberts, but I'm not sure the ECC is a good geographic or philosophic fit for RIT.

Powers &8^]
                              So there are those who love to blast the team for their shortcomings but they balk at the best idea for increasing the talent pool that the team could draw from. The D-I Patriot League, which RIT is already a D-III member of, make perfect geographical sense and at a glance covers every varsity sport except for wrestling that RIT has....

Thomas M. Naeger
                              The Mule

Comment

So there are those who love to blast the team for their shortcomings but they balk at the best idea for increasing the talent pool that the team could draw from. The D-I Patriot League, which RIT is already a D-III member of, make perfect geographical sense and at a glance covers every varsity sport except for wrestling that RIT has....
                                It's only because I value the same principles that Division III espouses. I think the higher divisions, especially Division I, place too much emphasis on recruiting potential professional athletes rather than student-athletes who are in college to get an education. I think an institution can bear one sport at that level without corrupting its values, but moving the entire athletic department to D-I would be a major philosophical and financial change for my alma mater.

However, I do have to admit I have no idea what you're talking about regarding RIT already being "a D-III member of" the Patriot League. Are you perhaps conflating it with the Liberty League?

Anyway, moving to D-I would be an even lengthier and more expensive process than moving to D-II, and would still require us to find a suitable D-II landing spot in the interim.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Working...
                                X