No announcement yet.

Northeastern Huskies 2018-19: New Breed, Old Snarl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

there's a reason the 2 goal lead is the worst lead in hockey.. kudos to Union for solving that; then solving the 3-2 deficit & finishing in OT.

Regroup & let's try this again with 60 minute effort tomorrow. Go NU
    GO NU HOCKEY
    Always bullish on the future.
    We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Re: Northeastern Huskies 2018-19: New Breed, Old Snarl

Tough one. I thought we were the better team through 2 periods. Union really played well in the 3rd.

Comment

Its super annoying to watch them not be able to come away with a win when they were clearly the better team. Outshot then by a wide margin, dominated the first and the third, just couldnt finish breakaways or chance in close.

Players I noticed in a good way- Tyler Madden, Pec, Picking, Solow, Filipe, Murphy

In a not good way- Williams (Three penalties? Two? Need to cut that out), Davies (still not great pinching and causes a lot of turnovers. Some wicked dangles offensively though), Hawkins (lots of hard angle shots rather than regular shots, need to keep firing but also give himself a chance to score), Plevy (really just seems invisible so far)

If they play like they did last night again, I believe theyll get the win. And honestly a split against union was always a reasonable expectation.
        "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

Agree with NU Husky's assessment...one player I'd add to the "good" list...Schultz. I've liked his game a lot so far, he seems faster and more dangerous with the puck this year. Man is Filipe snakebitten or what? If I remember correctly, Steve Quailer had a stretch like that where he seemingly had 2-3 grade A's a game but the puck just wouldn't go in the net.

My one big picture thought: this group of forwards looks better overall than I thought they would out of the gate. Madden and Pec have been a big part of that, but many guys have had impressive moments. Last year we gave up 2.09 goals per game. If we do that again, we'll have enough scoring to win a lot of games, something I wasn't sure about before the season.
          2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
          2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Comment

It's great that so many games are on NESN or NESN+
            However, depressing to see so many empty seats
            Tough to get anywhere in boston on Friday but given the choice how many opt to watch on TV
            While games were previously streamed many did not know about this option
            Pretty easy to find games streamed or on TV and college hockey has an attendance problem in many places

Comment

Originally posted by Thiessen'sBetter View Post
              Agree with NU Husky's assessment...one player I'd add to the "good" list...Schultz. I've liked his game a lot so far, he seems faster and more dangerous with the puck this year. Man is Filipe snakebitten or what? If I remember correctly, Steve Quailer had a stretch like that where he seemingly had 2-3 grade A's a game but the puck just wouldn't go in the net.

My one big picture thought: this group of forwards looks better overall than I thought they would out of the gate. Madden and Pec have been a big part of that, but many guys have had impressive moments. Last year we gave up 2.09 goals per game. If we do that again, we'll have enough scoring to win a lot of games, something I wasn't sure about before the season.
              Definitely +1 on Schultz, totally forgot to add him. He has impressed me a lot this year. Seems like he gets a breakaway at least once per game with his speed
              "Never tell me the odds"

Comment

Biggest stop of the game was when Picking got robbed and NU wasn't able to go up 3-0. After that, some soft NU coverage and some good use of Union's size advantage led to a close loss.

Comment

Originally posted by DLG View Post
                  It's great that so many games are on NESN or NESN+ ... However, depressing to see so many empty seats...
                  The empty seat problem is not unique to NU or Matthews, or even to college hockey. And it's affecting the pros too. (Just read a story that management at the brand new Detroit arena is changing the seatback colors from red to black so they're not so noticeable on television). It's a new day and a new way for millenials who prefer to sit at home and eat delivery food while doing social media, music/video streaming, and video gaming, among other things.

Sports marketing types will tell you that the money in this new age comes from sponsorships, media rights, etc., and that butts in the seats is no longer a major part of the calculus.
                  "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by NU_Husky View Post
                    Definitely +1 on Schultz, totally forgot to add him. He has impressed me a lot this year. Seems like he gets a breakaway at least once per game with his speed
                    taking the other side (as kids need to be held accountable a bit)..
                    what i noticed in last night's OT was all 5 guys on one side of the net. When that puck came the other side.. all the Union F could do is pick up & put in the wide open net.
                    Anyway, let's regroup tonight, three period effort & let's go Huskies!
                    GO NU HOCKEY
                    We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Davies out tonight. Upper body injury. Kislin makes his debut.

Hawkins to the second line with Solow/Jozefek. Filipe to the top line with MAdden/Pecararo
                      "Never tell me the odds"

Comment

Originally posted by NU_Husky View Post
                        Davies out tonight. Upper body injury. Kislin makes his debut.

Hawkins to the second line with Solow/Jozefek. Filipe to the top line with MAdden/Pecararo
                        (*Lots of four letter words I'm not allowed to write on this site) Hopefully Davies is back soon.
                        2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
                        2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Comment

the one from last night hurts tad bit more right now. we just blew that gm & would've taken the split.

zilch is what we got. deserve it until team gets it together. nice wknd Union.
                          GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
                            the one from last night hurts tad bit more right now. we just blew that gm & would've taken the split.

zilch is what we got. deserve it until team gets it together. nice wknd Union.
                            Yeah, Zilch sucks and what we got is a good look at how we may struggle against top teams, can't say much except we will need to figure it out, granted I did expect a rebuilding kind of year as you can't let the kind of scoring power we had the last 2 seasons go out the door and not really have a real threat to score 40 pts on the bench. That said it will have to be a different kind of team, but it wont be too easy.

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
                              taking the other side (as kids need to be held accountable a bit)..
                              what i noticed in last night's OT was all 5 guys on one side of the net. When that puck came the other side.. all the Union F could do is pick up & put in the wide open net.
                              Anyway, let's regroup tonight, three period effort & let's go Huskies!
                              I saw that play the same way until I watched it in slow motion on the HE highlights site. All the Huskies and the Union player working his way to the front of the net were headed in that direction. The puck hit something and went the other way. It was just luck that #17 for Union was positioned to recover it easily.

Comment

Originally posted by PPGuru View Post
                                I saw that play the same way until I watched it in slow motion on the HE highlights site. All the Huskies and the Union player working his way to the front of the net were headed in that direction. The puck hit something and went the other way. It was just luck that #17 for Union was positioned to recover it easily.
                                i'll check those highlights. anyway, to overcome a 2 g deficit then have that come their way.. the luck of the, er.. Dutchmen!
                                GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

Working...
                                X