• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ak/uaa

Originally posted by Alaska1986 View Post
    President Johnson, is that you?
    https://www.adn.com/sports/uaa-athle...to-become-one/

The best way forward is to get parties together from UAA and UAF to make up a new mascot. Each gets an alumni rep, athletic director rep, a student rep, and a few other ones and chart a new mascot.
    UAA or UA will be the Home of Seawolf Sports we won they lost total wins
    Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
    UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Originally posted by DrunkTrainPolka View Post
      i think its more like;

mother****er piece of **** dumb *** ******* ****ing governor...
      What's Timmy Walz have to do with anything? He not WWE ??
      UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Comment

Looks like both teams are playing this year and we'll see what happens going forward:

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...-Will-Play.php

Comment

• Originally posted by Liveatjrl View Post
          Looks like both teams are playing this year and we'll see what happens going forward:

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...-Will-Play.php
          In reading the articles from Alaska, it seems fall sports would proceed, no determination has been made on spring sports or those which straddle the semesters like hockey and volleyball, although articles I saw said that it was unlikely that programs would be cut once their season started.
          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
            In reading the articles from Alaska, it seems fall sports would proceed, no determination has been made on spring sports or those which straddle the semesters like hockey and volleyball, although articles I saw said that it was unlikely that programs would be cut once their season started.
            The exact quote was “Oh boy, I hope not,” in reference to whether a team would be cut once the season starts. Forgive me if I am not overjoyed by that statement. Considering the BoR's lack of urgency, the university burn rate continuing unimpeded and the school year starting, I can easily see a scenario where the hockey teams start the season but run out of money and are unable to continue after the holidays. That would be a nice 'F--- you!' to the WCHA teams after they decided to cut the Alaska teams anyway. (Sorry that teams like Denver, Maine and UAH will be caught in the crossfire - especially Denver, for whom pairwise will be meaningful)

Comment

• Originally posted by MidWestMidMajor View Post
              I was looking at Alaska news. The Chancellor of UA-S (Juneau) Richard Caulfield said that this transition to the single accreditation model will take years:
              "What the new UA would look like is not yet defined. The regent’s vote was for UA President Jim Johnsen to begin drafting a plan that will be presented at the next regent’s meeting in September... The transition process will take time, several years at least, but Johnsen intends to work “expeditiously” on the process."
              https://www.juneauempire.com/news/ch...ffs-are-ahead/

The Anchorage Daily News posted an article with the headline: "As University of Alaska moves toward consolidation, two athletic programs are likely to become one."
              [quoting the article:] (UA system President Jim) Johnsen and the regents will also have to address how many sports survive. If the university opts for 10 sports — the minimum requirement for NCAA Division II membership — expect a debate over what survives and what doesn’t. Another hard decision will come if the university can’t put some sports in Fairbanks and some in Anchorage, either because of NCAA rules or too many duplicated costs. Johnsen said a variety of factors will be considered if it comes down to deciding whether Fairbanks gets college sports or Anchorage does. “Off the top of my head: enrollment, tradition, philanthropic support, fan base. We’d look at the facility availability and look at the conference factor." The idea of dropping to the Division III level — which doesn’t allow athletic scholarships — or moving to the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) has been tossed around, Johnsen said, but hasn’t been discussed formally. Meanwhile, fall-semester sports like volleyball and cross country will begin practice at UAA and UAF later this month as scheduled. There is no travel freeze “at this point,” Johnsen said. Less certain is how athletics will fare in the spring semester, which begins in January. “I can’t commit to that at this point,” Johnsen said. A number of sports, including hockey and basketball, straddle the fall and spring semesters. Johnsen said he doesn’t think any sport would be eliminated once its season has begun. “Oh boy, I hope not,” he said.
              https://www.adn.com/sports/uaa-athle...to-become-one/
              Kinda hard to imagine Anchorage wouldn't get the sports if it came to it given the higher population and sparkling new(ish) facility. Doesn't mean hockey would survive, though.

Comment

Originally posted by broncoinak View Post
                Kinda hard to imagine Anchorage wouldn't get the sports if it came to it given the higher population and sparkling new(ish) facility. Doesn't mean hockey would survive, though.
                I agree. But Anchorage has more teams than it needs already. The NCAA requires 10 and they have 13. If hockey goes away does that mean gymnastics does as well?
                Originally Posted by aparch
                I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
                  I agree. But Anchorage has more teams than it needs already. The NCAA requires 10 and they have 13. If hockey goes away does that mean gymnastics does as well?
                  Maybe not if the NCAA lets UA_ keep their rifle team. Maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
                    Even if the Alaska schools survive
                    the next couple of years, they very well could be without a conference in 2021 after more possible realignment. Could they survive as independent teams?
                    Based on UAH's experience, no.

GFM
                    Geof F. Morris
                    UAH BSE MAE 2002
                    UAHHockey.com

Comment

For whatever it’s worth the WCHA released a statement announcing that both Alaskas would be playing this season.
                      Co-Founder/Editor of BGSUHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by BGDrew View Post
                        For whatever it’s worth the WCHA released a statement announcing that both Alaskas would be playing this season.
                        I released a statement saying I was retiring to a private beach in Tahiti.

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                          I released a statement saying I was retiring to a private beach in Tahiti.
                          Making pizza on a boat?
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

I don't think we are getting a new mascot, think of the costs. Think of all the Seawolves they would have to take down and replace on campus especially the AAC, merch, UAA student ID's, etc.
                            Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...Optimistic.php

About the most informative article written on this to date. Helps that it was Brad Joyal (former News Miner reporter) doing the writing.
                              “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                                https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...Optimistic.php

About the most informative article written on this to date. Helps that it was Brad Joyal (former News Miner reporter) doing the writing.

More like wishin' and Hopin' with the typical village slant..... Both arena's frige systems are time bombs ready to fail and no funds to fix , B Ball center is bush league , and fails to mention both arenas in anchorage are good to go and thanks to Dr Cobb B Ball has the nicest digs this side of Seattle.

just a few little things he forgot to add that's all..

Comment

Working...
                                X