Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
    Did you happen to run Alfond arena?
    I get airline distances of 3320 mi Anchorage to Bangor, and 3172 mi Fairbanks to Bangor (12.8 miles south of Alfond).

I get driving distances of 4450.8 mi Anchorage to Orono, and 4334.8 mi Fairbanks to Orono.

Have the Brown Bears or the Maine Black Bears ever played the Nanooks or Seawolves?
    Last edited by Snively65; 11-23-2018, 05:06 AM.

Comment

Re: Division 1 Hockey Schools in close proximity

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
      I didn't bother with by road, but Google gave the following for point-to-point miles:
      Carlson to Meehan 3267.08
      Carlson to Schneider 3265.25
      Carlson to Matthews 3247.11
      Carlson to Agganis 3245.48
      Carlson to Conte 3245.06
      Carlson to Bright 3244.34
      Carlson to Von Braun 3236.07

So, while Huntsville is a good guess, Boston is a few miles further and Providence is 30 miles further.

Sean
      Huntsville I wouldn't expect because it's in the Central Time Zone, despite the distance north/south. I'm surprised you didn't include Alfond in this check, as I believe that's the easternmost D-I arena.

EDIT: Someone beat me to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
        Have the Brown Bears or the Maine Black Bears ever played the Nanooks or Seawolves?
        Brown most likely not, given the Ivy League starts later than the rest of us, and up until a couple years ago, Alaska's non-conference games were their October tournaments and vs. each other. It's possible now, but I don't know if the Ivy League observes non-continental exemptions like the NCAA does.

Maine played UAA in 2014-15.

Comment

Sure. Couple frozen fours, no doubt!
          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Maine and Brown have both visited Fairbanks and Anchorage for games. UAA has been to both Brown and Orono, UAF has been to Orono, not Brown.
            Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
            "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
              Did you happen to run Alfond arena?
              Yes, I did. The point-to-point miles for Sullivan and Carlson to Meehan and Alfond are:
              Carlson to Meehan 3267.08
              Carlson to Alfond 3171.18

Sullivan to Meehan 3384.90
              Sullivan to Alfond 3307.36

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
              I haven't been able to figure out how to get direct miles from Google Maps, but comparing this to your earlier post, either that should be 3284.90 straight line miles or the distance difference is almost 118 miles.
              Ralph, to get direct miles on a computer right click on a place on Google Maps and you will get a popup menu which will have measure distance at the bottom (if you have already selected a starting point you will get clear distance instead). You select measure distance and then move the map until you can left click on the second place and a straight line will appear and the distance will appear in a popup box at the bottom middle of the map. Since the measure distance feature expects a left click you need to be careful when moving the map (holding the left button and dragging the map is OK, as is zooming in and out) or else you will be measuring the wrong point-to-point. I hope that helps

As for the difference between Sullivan and Carlson to Meehan, it is indeed about 118 mile further from Sullivan based on the distance given by Google Maps.

Brown played both the Nanooks and the Seawolves during the 1991-92 season when the Bears made the trip to both the Carlson Center for one game on 14 January 1992 and a 2 game series at Sullivan Arena on 17 & 18 January 1992. The Seawolves also made the trip to Meehan on 23 November 1990.

Maine has also played both the Nanooks (10 games) and the Seawolves (9 games). The Black Bears have played the Nanooks at Portland (1), at Sullivan (2), Alfond (2) and Carlson (5) and the Seawolves at Sullivan (4), Alfond (4) and Carlson (1)

Sean
              Last edited by Sean Pickett; 11-23-2018, 10:48 AM.
              Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
              Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
              BU Hockey highlights and extras
              NCAA Hockey Financials
              Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
              I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                Sure. Couple frozen fours, no doubt!
                While you joke about it, the Seawolves played Boston College at Conte Forum in the first round of the 1991 NCAA tournament, for what I believe is the longest distance match-up (3,365.22 miles) in NCAA tournament history.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                  While you joke about it, the Seawolves played Boston College at Conte Forum in the first round of the 1991 NCAA tournament, for what I believe is the longest distance match-up (3,365.22 miles) in NCAA tournament history.

Sean
                  And won both games.
                  U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                  Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                  I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                  But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                  Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                  Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Since this thread morphed into one about long road trips I figure it is also a good place for me to mention the Belfast Friendship Four. Here are the arena to arena distances for each school that has participated in it:
                    Class of 65 to SSE Arena 3138.05
                    Ingalls to SSE Arena 3103.60
                    People's to SSE Arena 3098.64
                    Messa to SSE Arena 3075.29
                    XL to SSE Arena 3073.53
                    Houston to SSE Arena 3069.19
                    Appleton to SSE Arena 3045.57
                    Mullins to SSE Arena 3040.13
                    Cheel to SSE Arena 3035.95
                    Schneider to SSE Arena 3021.29
                    Meehan to SSE Arena 3020.59
                    Agganis to SSE Arena 2986.36
                    Matthews to SSE Arena 2985.55
                    Tsongas to SSE Arena 2980.86
                    Gutterson to SSE Arena 2974.76
                    Alfond to SSE Arena 2780.93

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                    NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Since this thread is about distances, I have to say that one of my fondest memories within the past year is driving from Albany to Hanover. It's about 140 miles and 2 and a half hours of driving through the rural outskirts of eastern New York and high, snowy mountains in Vermont. The drive back sucked because it was raining heavily and dark, but otherwise it was worth the trip to see Cornell dismantle Dartmouth on that night. If I still lived in Albany, I definitely would've done the drive again next Friday (when the two teams have their first matchup this season--in Hanover).

Comment

Most conferences have their schedules divided into home games and road trips with an occasional neutral site game sprinkled in to keep things interesting.

When I looked at Hockey East scheduling they have: home games, home games not played at their own rink and home games where neither team is playing at their own rink. I'm sure there was a huge collective sigh of relief when Notre Dame excused themselves from the conference... "Wait, what? We have to leave the day before the game is played?!?"

Ryan J
                        Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                        https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                        Originally posted by geezer
                        Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                        Originally posted by manurespreader
                        ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                          ...I'm sure there was a huge collective sigh of relief when Notre Dame excused themselves from the conference...
                          You got that part right!
                          "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

You forgot to mention Sacred Heart along with Yale and QPac.
                            YALE HOCKEY
                            2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                              You forgot to mention Sacred Heart along with Yale and QPac.
                              How far is UCONN from those other three?
                              MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                                How far is UCONN from those other three?
                                Depends on if you mean the actual UConn campus in Storrs, CT or the XL center, in downtown Hartford, which is the actual hockey venue. For purposes of this thread, I'm measuring rink-to-rink:

>Sacred Heart to XL: 58 mi
                                >Yale to XL: 39 mi
                                >QPac to XL: 37 mi

And if you actually want to go to Storrs for some unfathomable reason, add ~30 miles; Oh, and add 5ish miles to get to the actual Sacred Heart campus from it's home venue (Webster Bank Arena) in Bridgeport, CT.
                                Last edited by Split-N; 11-26-2018, 04:35 PM.
                                "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Working...
                                X