Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Missed Performance by Decker...She Won!-CCM So Impressed-Cut Her a Cheque for $25K!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missed Performance by Decker...She Won!-CCM So Impressed-Cut Her a Cheque for $25K!!

Watched Coyne again and then scrolled down further than I did last night and saw that I had missed this.

Below the article are some comments on her performance including one from Jayna Hefford.

Nice touch by CCM recognizing Decker's skill with the beater.

This is excellent.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl...cker-1.4994353

Re: Missed Performance by Decker...She Won!-CCM So Impressed-Cut Her a Cheque for $25

more fake news, she did not win
    I agree though, that considering the others in the contest are making millions, the least they could do is give her 25 large for her efforts

BTW, I wonder how many of the people complaining about her not getting paid for her win but not a win have ever taken the time to plunk down the money to attend a women's pro or college game? My guess is that those yelling the loudest, are the least likely to have attended one.

But obviously they follow the men's game
    Last edited by pokechecker; 01-27-2019, 03:20 PM.

Comment

Re: Missed Performance by Decker...She Won!-CCM So Impressed-Cut Her a Cheque for $25

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
      more fake news, she did not win
      Sorry for the misinformation. I read this..."unofficially clocked at three seconds faster than the best men's time" and assumed that there was no more to it.

Looks like I misunderestimated the NHL.

Comment

Anyone plan to live long enough to see this in the NWHL?

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/27/s...tals-jets.html

(It would be fun to see a Gophers/Badgers team with a four goal lead give it a try. On the other end, there are some woeful PPs out there that might say: why not?)

Comment

Originally posted by thirdtime's . . . View Post

(It would be fun to see a Gophers/Badgers team with a four goal lead give it a try. On the other end, there are some woeful PPs out there that might say: why not?)
          That pretty much is Minnesota's power play formation, especially with the unit built around the Wente/Zumwinkle/Schammel line.

Comment

Originally posted by thirdtime's . . . View Post

Minnesota runs a PP very similar to this with Zumwinkle in the Ovechkin spot, most often with Brown on top as the only D. As for a single D, that's been a staple of women's college teams for years. The Gophers essentially ran the reverse of this back in 2004-05 with Wall as the only D, Darwitz as the QB on the half wall and Wendell roaming on the weak side. She usually opted to walk in rather than shoot when she took a pass, and the one-time shots came from Wall on top.

UMD used to run a PP with all forwards during the 2002-03 season. Ouellette could play the top and was better defensively than any of their "true" D.
            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

You'll have to excuse my ignorance. I'm only familiar with a certain ECAC team's PP with 2 Ds sometimes acting like 0.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
                Sorry for the misinformation. I read this..."unofficially clocked at three seconds faster than the best men's time" and assumed that there was no more to it.

Looks like I misunderestimated the NHL.
                you and at least 50 million others

It could be that the reason the women weren't paid is because they are not employees of the NHL but they are of the CWHL & NWHL. No compete contracts, etc.
                That's probably why the NHL agreed to donate $25k to a charity of their choice.

we live in crazy, crazy times
                Last edited by pokechecker; 01-28-2019, 12:11 PM. Reason: cure for Trumpphobia: 1) grasp head with hands 2) in one continuous motion, pull head from rear end 3) repeat as needed

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                  UMD used to run a PP with all forwards during the 2002-03 season. Ouellette could play the top and was better defensively than any of their "true" D.
                  You might remember: Is this (1-3-1) what Miller started employing at UMD in 2011 and 2012 where the lone player in the high slot was Wong (who was a forward)?

I think Miller called it the torpedo or something similar. All I can recall is Wong's part in what looked like an umbrella...don't recall the 3-1 or if it was a bit of a different formation for those 4 players on the ice with Wong.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
                    You might remember: Is this (1-3-1) what Miller started employing at UMD in 2011 and 2012 where the lone player in the high slot was Wong (who was a forward)?

I think Miller called it the torpedo or something similar. All I can recall is Wong's part in what looked like an umbrella...don't recall the 3-1 or if it was a bit of a different formation for those 4 players on the ice with Wong.
                    The torpedo is something different: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torpedo_system

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
                      The torpedo is something different: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torpedo_system
                      Thanks.

So, it was a different formation for those four other players and their roles were different because it was a different system.

She used it extensively for a couple of seasons. The reason, as I recall, was due to injuries to the D which left her light at that position...hence, Wong in the high slot. She had to improvise in order to avoid that unenviable situation doing sustained damage to their win column. It was rather successful from what I can remember.

Creativity...always interesting. Wong had to adjust to a defensive role but no different in theory, I guess, than Peltarri's (who had played defence her entire career) being asked by Miller at one point to play forward...which she did and did rather well as I recall.
                      Last edited by Blackbeard; 01-28-2019, 10:07 PM.

Comment

The era that I remember Miller using the torpedo was the end of 2002 and periodically during 2002-03. The teams that you mention were less successful, and I must confess that I don't remember as much about them, other than that she liked to move Wong all over the place. The line chart in those days would usually bear little resemblance to where a particular player was actually going to play.
                        "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Working...
                        X