Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech 17-18 Preseason - MacNaughton, Broadmoor... What's this year bringing?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 17-18 Preseason - MacNaughton, Broadmoor... What's this year bringi

Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post
    There is only so much ice time. Right there will keep the college landscape fairly consistent. Even now there are players like Packy who are on team #3 in 3 years. More than likely there will be more guys who are moving around looking for ice time, but I don't see it being more than 20-30 guys across all leagues. It would benefit players like Ford who get pushed out at a bigger school, essentially by no fault of their own, not having to fight for their eligibility and lose a year of game time.
    I don't think Ford was pushed out at Wisconsin; I could be wrong, but I thought he left on his own. I believe he played every game for them as a freshman until he left and went back to the USHL. That was a year they weren't doing very well. I don't know his circumstance at that time but it appears he backed out on his commitment not the other way around. If someone knows otherwise please reply in his defense.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

• Re: Michigan Tech 17-18 Preseason - MacNaughton, Broadmoor... What's this year bringi

http://www.mininggazette.com/sports/...chs-blue-line/

article on Ford.

Comment

Originally posted by rustedblades View Post
        I don't think Ford was pushed out at Wisconsin; I could be wrong, but I thought he left on his own. I believe he played every game for them as a freshman until he left and went back to the USHL. That was a year they weren't doing very well. I don't know his circumstance at that time but it appears he backed out on his commitment not the other way around. If someone knows otherwise please reply in his defense.

I was not talking about Ford specifically, that is why I used the word like. It was a recent example of a transfer. There were "recent" changes in the Wisconsin hockey program with an amount of player movement. More transfers will result from the potential new rules.

Comment

The one thing that is really scary is what happens to players when a coach leaves or gets fired? Taking your time to hire a new coach could mean a lot of your roster is gone before you get hired...
          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
            The one thing that is really scary is what happens to players when a coach leaves or gets fired? Taking your time to hire a new coach could mean a lot of your roster is gone before you get hired...
            Another thing that's going to have an effect is that MJ is going to have to pay the players soon. The judge in Canada ruled that they are pro's and entitled to get paid. the funds set aside are not enough.
            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Those two scenarios - a new coach doing "transfer raids" and the departure of an old coach causing a mass exodus - is why I think there should be a clause to address those two scenarios. Something about the 1-year sit rule still applying for players transferring within one season of a coaching change at either their current, or their new program.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                Those two scenarios - a new coach doing "transfer raids" and the departure of an old coach causing a mass exodus - is why I think there should be a clause to address those two scenarios. Something about the 1-year sit rule still applying for players transferring within one season of a coaching change at either their current, or their new program.
                I think it should really be the other way...There should just be a rule that players are not allowed around a coaching hire. From the point a coach leaves until so many days after a coach is hired or so many days before the new academic year. Players should be given a similar freedom to coaches but they shouldn't be able to make rash decisions before the new coach is hired.
                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Mason Blacklock in the line up tonight. Gillies out and Baltus still out.

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                    I'd still dispute the dimensions, but I think they actually lengthened the ice surface in their last round of renovations in 2008 to get it up to standard. It is still, however, the only arena in D-1 (and the only one I can actually think of) with both benches AND the penalty box on the same side of the ice. That gives Ferris a huge glass wall to chip pucks to their hearts content without sending them out of play, furthering their brand of anti-hockey.
                    Like watching the Watters and Russell eras at Tech. Now that was anti-hockey.
                    "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

Dave Ellis claims Tony Stiles played for Canada in both the 1980 and 1988 Olympic Games. I can't find any evidence for 1980.

Edit: The Michigan Tech 2010–11 Hockey Yearbook only mentions 1988. It also has Bruce Horsch on the 1980 U.S. roster, though of course he didn't go to Lake Placid.
                      Last edited by redwing61; 01-26-2018, 08:17 PM.

Comment

Well tough loss. I thought we did score that one goal that they disallowed. But more importantly we keep letting in over 3 goals every game. I can't see us winning much if we keep that up. Goaltending, which I thought would resolve itself, definitely has not.We can be better for sure and the guys worked hard. We have to pick ourselves up and play better tomorrow. We might have been able to move up in the standings had we won but I think now we are looking at 5th. Maybe even 6th.
                        I hope Donahue is ok, I think that Ferris kid will get additional attention from the league.
                        Also I thought the game was not well refereed.

Comment

• Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                          Goaltending, which I thought would resolve itself, definitely has not..
                          Oh, I think it has. The staff just hasn’t faced the facts yet.

It bothered me when the kid that went head hunting on Donahue was laughing in the penalty box while he was still knocked out. Have some respect. Then when he got the boot he was raising his arms to the crowd like he expected some glory for an embarrassment like that... I understand losing your head for a few seconds but that was all well after the fact when it was clearly a serious injury with possibly permanent damage. He needs to face consequences.
                          Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                          USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Just another Ferris thug, I'm sure he'll get a 1-game slap on the wrist. PK was garbage tonight, and cost us the game.
                            Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 01-26-2018, 09:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                              Just another Ferris thug, I'm sure he'll get a 1-game slap on the wrist. PK was garbage tonight, and cost us the game.
                              PK?? How bout a goaltender make a stop for a change. I believe if you look at the stats the guys didn't give up many chances again tonight. The chances that they are getting go in. I think the skaters played a heck of a game!
                              Tech had a ton of great chances, difference was their goaltender stopped way more than Techs!

Comment

Originally posted by rustedblades View Post
                                PK?? How bout a goaltender make a stop for a change. I believe if you look at the stats the guys didn't give up many chances again tonight. The chances that they are getting go in. I think the skaters played a heck of a game!
                                Tech had a ton of great chances, difference was their goaltender stopped way more than Techs!
                                Goaltender is arguably biggest part of PK, so my statement is not inaccurate.

Comment

Working...
                                X