Merrimack College 2017-2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tape View Post
    Maine had their chance at Montgomery when they ultimately hired Gendron. Montgomery reportedly even reached out to Maine to express his interest and Maine didn't care. They probably burned that bridge, plus he has basically no reason to leave Denver at this point.
    It would not surprise me if Montgomery leaves DU this year - but it probably wouldn't be for Maine, rather the NHL (though this would be the time to take that chance). He was a real candidate in FLA last year but dropped out when it was clear all his guns were returning to school. This season they'll graduate Plant, Hammond and Jailet. Terry, Gambrell and Borgstrom are as good as gone - perhaps directly to the NHL. Lukosevicious is at best 50/50 to return.

If they repeat on a FF trip - perhaps a title. Keep an eye on him. If he returns to DU he will likely do so without 79 of 122 goals, two top four defensemen and, arguably, the nation's best goaltender...
    Last edited by Dan; 03-12-2018, 02:13 PM.
    Live Free or Die!!
    Miami University '03

Comment

• Re: Merrimack College 2017-2018

So who would the MC fans like to see. I saw some names earlier posted but I don't see Ben Barr leaving UMASS. Maybe a guy from the USHL like Lammars(sp)? from Dubuque who went to Niagara. But have to wonder who wants to make the jump from Juniors to NCAA, I am sure there are plenty that we don't know. Another question is what happens to the incoming commits and do they still come? Also what is roster turnover going to be like with new coach. Again all premature but wondering what you guys are thinking.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
        He cheated
        True dat!
        Originally posted by mookie1995
        bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
        Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
        Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Originally posted by MCWarrior1011 View Post
          Good to have your ignorance back on these boards! Welcome!
          you're very nice, thank you. Plenty of other ignorant people on this board agree with me ,including some of your own............. Ignorance loves company i guess. Have a nice day dude.

Comment

Originally posted by capswon View Post
            So who would the MC fans like to see. I saw some names earlier posted but I don't see Ben Barr leaving UMASS. Maybe a guy from the USHL like Lammars(sp)? from Dubuque who went to Niagara. But have to wonder who wants to make the jump from Juniors to NCAA, I am sure there are plenty that we don't know. Another question is what happens to the incoming commits and do they still come? Also what is roster turnover going to be like with new coach. Again all premature but wondering what you guys are thinking.
            I'm thinking Keefe, or maybe give Carr the nod (not sure he'd take it given how it went down with his old boss) I'm admittedly not too familiar with other candidates out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Patronick View Post
              Are you being intentionally thick? First of all, don't compare basketball with hockey. It's asinine and it gets you nowhere. You're comparing a niche sport with 60 D1 teams to the 1A/1B college sport in the country with 351 programs. You have 15 players on a college basketball roster and it only takes 1 superstar to make a run.

Second of all, buying tickets or paying tuition gets you what it gets you - a ticket or an education. You can demand whatever you want, you just look like an idiot. "Herr durr I bought this $12 ticket so I get input on a coaching decision with a six figure salary". Give me a break.

Lastly, you DO have to balance expectations with reality, regardless of what you want to believe. The reality is that Dennehy ran a good program. He got good recruits through the door. He helped the program survive back in the mid aughts when the administration was looking for a reason to drop down to AH or D3. He put a competitive team on the ice. He helped get that dumpster fire of an arena a respectable upgrade.

So my question to you is, who are you going to get that's better? You buy your tickets and paid tuition (I imagine) at some point, so here's your big chance to have your say. Who do you target? Who's the heir apparent that is both going to give as much as Dennehy did to this program and raise the success rate on the ice? Who's going to come into Merrimack with its handicaps and take on Hockey East and bring the Warriors to where YOU think it should be. Don't worry, I'll wait. Go Google some names and get back to me.
              Look all I'm saying is that the argument of "its just merrimack, its a small school" doesn't really fly with alot of MC alums/fans expectations anymore. Wake and Davidson are tiny colleges with awesome athletics (besides just basketball, btw).. why not us in that pool too? Admittedly we have probably unrealistic expectations.. but isn't that what being a fan is all about??
              I don't know who our target is.. does Hopey or Gibson have one either?? Who knows.. I'm not saying its a good firing I'm just saying it's not completely out of the blue either considering expectations, recent results, salary, etc...

I don't expect our squad to compete with the upper echelon of the conference every year.. But I'd like to see us competing for a quarterfinal berth instead of 8-11 seeding obviously. Could Dennehy do that? Absolutely. Has he done that? Absolutely. Can somebody else do that? I guess we'll see.

Comment

What about Darren Yopyk? He was an associate head coach with Dennehy from '05-'09, by all accounts was an excellent recruiter, especially in Western Canada. He is currently an amateur scout for the Minnesota Wild so he is constantly evaluating talent. He was under consideration for the Princeton job (he's a Princeton grad) a couple of times when it was open (a complication is that he is a Canadian citizen, so there would be potential work visa considerations?)
                Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Originally posted by Yuppie Scum View Post
                  Hearing a lot of blowback from other MC alums. I've already explained my feelings on the situation, but it seems like most of the rest of the MC and hockey community feels like this is a betrayal, that MD was a miracle worker for what he did with what he had, that winning is less important than running a program The Right Way with class, and that Gallant is an a-hole. Kind of a PR disaster brewing for MC.

On the other hand some of the other, more casual alums seem to be more focused on the lack of winning seasons and are more forgiving i'd say

MD's successor has a gargantuan task ahead of him to keep the stakeholders (hopey/gallant, alums, HEA) happy..
                  You're right with this - I'm not a former hockey player but was an athlete on a different team on campus... Now contribute to MC athletics in other ways. I understand the reaction from those closer to the program.. MD indeed is a great guy and did amazing things at MC. But I've also heard many alums further away from the inner workings of the program who weren't happy with the lack of success on the ice. At the end of the day.. Hockey generates revenue for MC.. winning drives that revenue.. BIG time. So from that perspective, I understand it... albeit don't love it.

And you're right -- the inner workings of MC athletics is a tough place to navigate. Whoever's next has to have a tough shell.

Comment

Originally posted by RENCEB View Post
                    What about Darren Yopyk? He was an associate head coach with Dennehy from '05-'09, by all accounts was an excellent recruiter, especially in Western Canada. He is currently an amateur scout for the Minnesota Wild so he is constantly evaluating talent. He was under consideration for the Princeton job (he's a Princeton grad) a couple of times when it was open (a complication is that he is a Canadian citizen, so there would be potential work visa considerations?)
                    Article by Jeff Cox: Who should replace Dennehy at Merrimack?

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
                      I do not get the love for Albie OConnell. How hard is it to recruit at BU? Keefe is an interesting name. I would prefer Pearl out of all of those. He has experience and has helped turn around Harvard.
                      Today we skate with 'em.

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
                        Scotty Bowman wouldn't win at Merrimack. A young Jack Parker wouldn't win at Merrimack.

Mark Dennehy did a good job at Merrimack, overall. They were a tough out. He did well with the resources that he had.

Given the lack of facilities, resources and the size and type of school (would recruits rather go to Providence or Merrimack? Providence isn't going to lose many of those battles!) and the competition, getting to the middle of the pack would be a worthy accomplishment. Being able to stay there would be solid.
                        It is good to have ambition. But it needs to be realistic.

Comment

• Originally posted by MCWarrior1011 View Post
                          I do not get the love for Albie OConnell. How hard is it to recruit at BU? Keefe is an interesting name. I would prefer Pearl out of all of those. He has experience and has helped turn around Harvard.
                          Albie O’Connell has terrific eye for talent. He’s a big reason Merrimack found Da Costa...
                          https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
                          Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

Originally posted by tape View Post
                            Maine had their chance at Montgomery when they ultimately hired Gendron. Montgomery reportedly even reached out to Maine to express his interest and Maine didn't care. They probably burned that bridge, plus he has basically no reason to leave Denver at this point.
                            All true. Monty turned down the Florida Panthers to stay at Denver this season.
                            He would have relished going back to Maine before they hired Red. But that ship has sailed.

Comment

Donato Junior helped to turn around Donato Senior's team. And Vesey (where did his Dad play again)?
                              How ambitious is Pearl? He is not young and hungry. He quit as head coach at Holy Cross to become an assistant at Harvard. At best, he might be similar to Dennehy.

Comment

Don't forget that O'Connell and Greg Cronin had NU on the upswing until the AD came down hard on them for the 'texting violations'. Jon Gillies and Johnny Gaudreau were committed to NU until Cronin and the Staff bailed in response to the discipline issued by Peter Roby.

Comment

Working...
                                X