X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
    You're cute.
    Do you want to be the one to reassure Rep. Omar that we’ve already stamped out religious bigotry?
    Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
    USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

• Re: Religion Thread: We Could Say a Prayer

Florida gets what they deserve. I expect more Florida Man stories now...

https://friendlyatheist.patheos.com/...bguqgroOWh9phQ
      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
      Patreon for exclusive writing content
      Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

So wait. Right wing Christians can deus ex machina practically anything: "I got all green lights on my way home from work because God." Or "I had just enough sugar to make brownies today because God."

However, I haven't met one (and never will) that can say "evolution and Origin of the Species because God." It's always "just a theory."
        "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

So wait. Right wing Christians can deus ex machina practically anything: "I got all green lights on my way home from work because God." Or "I had just enough sugar to make brownies today because God."

However, I haven't met one (and never will) that can say "evolution and Origin of the Species because God." It's always "just a theory."
          🖐
          God set the rules. And it plays out according to the rules.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
            🖐
            Is god a metaphor for the laws of physics?

Comment

• Originally posted by BassAle View Post
              Is god a metaphor for the laws of physics?
              Yes, in the same way that you are only a metaphor for one of last week’s toenail clippings.
              Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
              USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                🖐
                Je n'avais pas besoin de cette hypothèse-là.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

🖐
                  A Catholic and an Episcopalian MIGHT agree on something.

Comment

You make your own god. Sorry, he does not exist.

Comment

A Catholic and an Episcopalian MIGHT agree on something.
                      Join the Ordnariate. Then we'd REALLY have something in common.

But I don't think there are any parishes near you.
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Join the Ordnariate. Then we'd REALLY have something in common.

But I don't think there are any parishes near you.
                        I know both of our churches place emphasis on the Eucharist, or Holy Communion. I know at Grace, our sermons last about 15 minutes, while Communion is the Main Event.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                          You make your own god. Sorry, he does not exist.
                          Without Divine Retribution, what keeps people on the straight and narrow?

No heaven or hell means that you can live your life free of repercussions. If you can get away with it, you're good.

Belief in a Supreme Judge means that you have somebody watching over all that you do and you have to answer for it.

Of course, God has a sense of humor. If you're Willie Tulloch, you'd get the surprise of your life that after being an lifelong atheist, you get to meet the Fellow who gives you a pat on the back and bids you enter into the Kingdom you honestly denied.

If you're a liar, cheat, and a thief, you may get a different reception.
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I know both of our churches place emphasis on the Eucharist, or Holy Communion. I know at Grace, our sermons last about 15 minutes, while Communion is the Main Event.
                            Are you High Church or Low Church? High Church is Catholic lite (with better music). Low Church is more Protestant (with better music).

My oldest son and his family belong to the Ordnariate parish in Baltimore. The pastor and his wife have 9 kids. 6 were born while he was Episcopalian. 3 since he swam the Tiber. They're great people. The parish is growing with many young families.

When I attend Mass up there, it reminds me of what Mass should have become after V2. Tallis, Byrd, Palestrina, de Victoria and the great Catholic composers prior to the 70s, sung by a choir with professional musicians.
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Without Divine Retribution, what keeps people on the straight and narrow?

No heaven or hell means that you can live your life free of repercussions. If you can get away with it, you're good.

Belief in a Supreme Judge means that you have somebody watching over all that you do and you have to answer for it.

Of course, God has a sense of humor. If you're Willie Tulloch, you'd get the surprise of your life that after being an lifelong atheist, you get to meet the Fellow who gives you a pat on the back and bids you enter into the Kingdom you honestly denied.

If you're a liar, cheat, and a thief, you may get a different reception.
                              Is this a serious post? Taking it as serious makes me baffled. I was taught morals, ethics, right from wrong by two people who think church is an evil entity that is a cult or possibly worse. They definitely don't behave because they are afraid of Divine Retribution. My moral compass is internal and even if I didn't believe (I do- brought myself to church) I would be constrained by my sense of right and wrong.

Do you really only do things because the Big Guy is watching?

Comment

It's time again for the wisdom of Douglas Adams
                                “Now it is such a bizarrely improbable coincidence that anything so mind-bogglingly useful could have evolved purely by chance that some thinkers have chosen to see it as the final and clinching proof of the non-existence of God.
                                The argument goes something like this: "I refuse to prove that I exist,'" says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."
                                "But," says Man, "The Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED."
                                "Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.
                                "Oh, that was easy," says Man, and for an encore goes on to prove that black is white and gets himself killed on the next zebra crossing.”
                                "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
                                Groucho Marx
                                "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
                                Ron White
                                "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
                                Milo Bloom

Comment

Working...
                                X