Frozen Four Finalists for 2015-2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Frozen Four Finalists for 2015-2018

Good to see that DC has applied again and is being considered. I wonder if Navy is sponsoring the bid again.

I would think that Chicago is a virtual lock and so is Boston if they have real interest. I doubt that either Philadelphia or Pittsburgh would get it again that soon.

I am a bit surprised that there is no off-the-wall entry. I am not counting Tampa since they hosted a successful tourney. Wasn't Miami listed earlier?
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Brooklyn would be an abject disaster due to horrendous sightlines and that Barclays only 15K and change of seats. Were it built as a dual-sport arena with proper seating configuration and 18K or so for hockey, it'd be a great host site. That said, please no Buffalo or Columbus. The highlight event of the sport should not be held in (apologies to them) small-market cities. I'd love to see DC again, I can see them picking one of this and Tampa. Philly, too soon to revisit, and they haven't even gone through hosting yet, same with too soon on Pittsburgh. Chicago is an absolute must. Boston, St. Paul, Chicago, DC/Tampa pls.

Also, what happened to Nashville?
      ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Seems odd to me that they are releasing this list and say that it is for these 4 years. It's also funny they don't have a host for the 2015 one already. Boston makes sense as a 2015 host because they have already hosted and haven't had one in a while.
        tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
          Seems odd to me that they are releasing this list and say that it is for these 4 years. It's also funny they don't have a host for the 2015 one already. Boston makes sense as a 2015 host because they have already hosted and haven't had one in a while.
          The problem with Boston has been that the Jacobs family has been submitting bids essentially on a bar napkin for the past decade, assuming it'll just be handed to them. They've also balked (or so I've heard) at the NCAA requirements to have the ice and boards redone for the event.
          ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
            The problem with Boston has been that the Jacobs family has been submitting bids essentially on a bar napkin for the past decade, assuming it'll just be handed to them. They've also balked (or so I've heard) at the NCAA requirements to have the ice and boards redone for the event.
            Oh yes, I've heard about that...but you figured that they would get it sometime soon. Maybe DC or St. Paul will get it instead of a halfassed bid from Boston.
            tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
              Oh yes, I've heard about that...but you figured that they would get it sometime soon. Maybe DC or St. Paul will get it instead of a halfassed bid from Boston.
              DC, I could see. I can't imagine them ending up in a spot deciding between Boston and St. Paul. If both bids are serious, there's no reason to not give it to both, perhaps giving St. Paul the 2018 FF since they were more recent in 2011.
              2015 - Boston
              2016 - Chicago
              2017 - DC/Tampa
              2018 - St. Paul
              ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Brooklyn would be an abject disaster due to horrendous sightlines and that Barclays only 15K and change of seats. Were it built as a dual-sport arena with proper seating configuration and 18K or so for hockey, it'd be a great host site. That said, please no Buffalo or Columbus. The highlight event of the sport should not be held in (apologies to them) small-market cities. I'd love to see DC again, I can see them picking one of this and Tampa. Philly, too soon to revisit, and they haven't even gone through hosting yet, same with too soon on Pittsburgh. Chicago is an absolute must. Boston, St. Paul, Chicago, DC/Tampa pls.

Also, what happened to Nashville?
                Isn't the Islanders moving to Brooklyn?
                Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Originally posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post
                  It'd be a shame if they didn't bring it back to Boston. Chicago would make a great FF host city given its central location and accessibility, and abundance of sightseeing, lodging and food/drink establishments. Ditto w/ going back to D.C.

Brooklyn is an intriguing option simply b/c it's NYC, although it remains to be seen how the sightlines are once Barclays Center is configured for hockey upon the Islanders' move.

Boston, Chicago, D.C. and St. Paul would be my choices.
                  That's a nice list. I'd be pleased with that group, or any of them individually. Like Priceless, I'm hoping we can get back to Tampa. But that's not to say that I'm rooting against any of the cities in your group of four.

A few words on Boston: IF, repeat IF, the NCAA and the TD Garden people can resolve their differences, then Boston is an easy first choice. But I'll believe it when I see it. Importantly, I believe that Boston should be subject to the same requirements as every other application. At the top of my personal list is the number of tickets in the public lottery. Further, those tickets should be in roughly comparable locations as those offered by the other aspiring hosts. That was most certainly not the case in 2004. No applicant should be "above the law," not even one of college hockey's hotbeds.

Anywhere but Columbus.
                  Sigh; here we go again. Apologies to longtime posters; I'll try not to go on too long this time.

Columbus is a great place to live. I didn't grow up here; I chose Columbus and am pleased with the choice. I didn't transplant from the East Coast, but I know many people who did. Invariably they say their quality of life improved considerably with the move, in terms of better housing, less commute time and other amenities. We simply aren't the rust belt community you imagine.

Further, Nationwide Arena, along with the Arena District, would be a perfect fit for a Frozen Four. Hotels, Restaurants, Pubs? They're not just within easy walking distance, they're immediately adjacent. The rink itself is state of the art, and built specifically for hockey. Prices here are relatively affordable, and Central Ohio is within reasonable driving distance of a good percentage of the college hockey world.

What we lack is a list of nationally famous tourist sites. Some, including locals, have called us the Anti-New York; meaning that it's a great place to live but you wouldn't want to visit. I accept that, and to a point embrace it. But I strongly believe that anyone can have a great four day weekend here if they come with an open mind.

Let me say this. For those who make the Frozen Four a full week vacation, I can understand why they'd prefer other cities on the list. If that's where you're coming from, I respect that. But for those coming mostly for the hockey, and looking to keep the trip relatively affordable, Nationwide Arena would be great.

I'm under no illusions here. I'm sure the Columbus bid is a long shot, and I don't really have a problem with that. I've had a great time in the more touristy destinations like DC and Tampa, and would be thrilled to go back to either city. At the same time, I do get discouraged when we have these conversations and so many seem to argue that the tourist angle is the only variable that matters.

Comment

Can Tampa just win all 4 bids? Please!?

Seriously, Chicago needs to get one of these. And I'd like to go back to DC and Tampa.

Was hoping to see Nashville get in on the act as well but hopefully next time around. Would like to check that city out.
                    Originally posted by reBlur
                    the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

For somewhat selfish reasons, and because they put on a successful event 2 years ago, I really hope Tampa gets one. Nice rink, great weather, and tons to do. Plus, being 35 minutes or so away would be nice

Comment

The problem with Boston ... balked (or so I've heard) at the NCAA requirements to have the ice and boards redone for the event.
                        Is there any compelling reason for them to re-do the boards & ice, or is it just the NCAA trying to flex some muscle?
                        Chris V
                        Nexton (Summerville) South Carolina

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                          Wasn't Miami listed earlier?
                          where the panthers play is no where near miami proper. no thanks.
                          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_NH View Post
                            Is there any compelling reason for them to re-do the boards & ice, or is it just the NCAA trying to flex some muscle?
                            it's in the ****ing requirements!!! if that isn't compelling enough don't put in a **** bid.
                            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Ripping up the ice is stupid. Which makes sense since the NCAA requires it and we all know how absurdly stupid the NCAA is. The new ice never sets well because it's done quickly and then gets overused with 4 practices Wednesday, 4 morning skates and 2 games (plus possible overtime) on Thursday, 2 practices on Friday, and 2 morning skates and 1 game on Saturday.

The ice is dreadful and chippy and I'm glad Boston told the NCAA to go pound sand in 2004 (where they were in the middle of a playoff series against the Canadiens, which a lot of people do not mention).

There I said it.
                              Originally posted by reBlur
                              the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

General Thoughts

• TD Garden, Boston - From a hockey town standpoint, I think they get one of the bids. Use to live down there, so ultimately I would prefer to go elsewhere, but, it would certainly keep costs down for me

• First Niagara Center, Buffalo, N.Y. - My first Frozen Four. Was done on the cheap and really didn't experience it the way I now do.

• Barclays Center, Brooklyn, N.Y. - Meh. MSG or nothing.

• Wells Fargo Center, Philadelphia - Too soon.

• Consol Energy Center, Pittsburgh - Had a good time in Pitt, but too soon.

• Nationwide Arena, Columbus, Ohio - Tough one. Assuming Boston and Minny get one each, not in my top two for the others.

• Verizon Center, Washington, D.C. - Lots to do. Ultimately would like to go back.

• Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul, Minn. - Will likely get a bid. Had a good time.

• United Center, Chicago - Chicago (and Nashville) are two cities that I was hoping to see a bid from. Would love to see it held here.

• Tampa Bay Times Forum, Tampa, Fla. - Yes. Please. Hockey, Cigars and an abundance of scattered ***. What's not to like. Bonus, can park the wifey down in St. Pete with her parents while I go do my thing.

Comment

Working...
                                X