Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NFL 2019-20: We'll Just Talk About Our Fantasy Teams Again....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    Of course Kepler keeps his “Old Man yells at cloud” routine going. Replay is a fine tool and a helpful tool but, like everything else in life, not perfect. Though that’s no reason to ban it outright.
    The reason to ban it outright is that it ruins the live product. The only sport I've seen get it right is tennis, ironically. Soccer's goal line tech is ok, but the offside and card replays are as bad as the NFLs.

Comment

• Re: NFL 2019-20: We'll Just Talk About Our Fantasy Teams Again....

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
      Because you sound like a Trump supporter with your “things were simpler back in the day!” attitude.
      But that isn't my point. My point is we should pick and choose what advantages technology provides us. I am not a Luddite. I love analytics. I love streaming and high definition. I love that I can literally watch -- not just listen but watch -- every Cornell hockey game from my mother's, er, my basement.

Replay began as a cool TV feature (on MNF IINM). Then it began to expose that calls were blown. This became so egregious that now we are 98% down the VAR path.

I am standing athwart history yelling Stop! We can choose to do sports any way we like. Sports are an artificial human creation. I am recommending that we eliminate replay -- eliminate recapitulation -- and deliberately watch and enjoy in the moment. The way the game is now it is an examination of past events. This colors even the present -- we don't watch as closely because there's always replay. Every moment of joy has a tinge of "what if this is reversed?" This perfecting of officiating is destroying the sport.

What we have now is music where when somebody plays a wrong note we stop, have a 2 minute review, and then replay that phrase. Let there be wrong notes! Having it be spontaneous is more important than getting every single call right.

You may disagree with me but I don't deserve the flippant Abe Simpson reference. What I am arguing is substantial and deserves consideration.
      Last edited by Kepler; 10-16-2019, 09:00 AM.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        But that isn't my point. My point is we should pick and choose what advantages technology provides us. I am not a Luddite. I love analytics. I love streaming and high definition. I love that I can literally watch -- not just listen but watch -- every Cornell hockey game from my mother's, er, my basement.

Replay began as a cool TV feature (on MNF IINM). Then it began to expose that calls were blown. This became so egregious that now we are 98% down the VAR path.

I am standing athwart history yelling Stop! We can choose to do sports any way we like. Sports are an artificial human creation. I am recommending that we eliminate replay -- eliminate recapitulation -- and deliberately watch and enjoy in the moment. The way the game is now it is an examination of past events. This colors even the present -- we don't watch as closely because there's always replay. Every moment of joy has a tinge of "what if this is reversed?" This perfecting of officiating is destroying the sport.

What we have now is music where when somebody plays a wrong note we stop, have a 2 minute review, and then replay that phrase. Let there be wrong notes! Having it be spontaneous is more important than getting every single call right.

You may disagree with me but I don't deserve the flippant Abe Simpson reference. What I am arguing is substantial and deserves consideration.
        You get a flippant Abe Simpson reference because you deserve a flippant Abe Simpson reference. Wanting to ban replay outright is as ridiculous as wanting to ban the forward pass because the running game needs to be saved, it’s a ridiculous and fantastical idea. Replay is a natural evolution of the game and a useful tool to officials. Your attitude reeks of “I don’t like what sports is becoming because it’s new and different, why can’t we just go back to how it was?!?”

Officiating advances just like any other aspect of a sport. Better whistles are developed to be heard over loud crowds, wireless headsets to better communicate, using microphones to communicate calls to the crowd and tv audience, adding officials on the field, changing the positions of officials on the field, and this is just the NFL. This isn’t stopping to correct a wrong note, it’s not allowing the musician to look at the sheet music.
        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Yes, you do actually. To your second point, no it doesn't deserve consideration for anybody who doesn't have the free time in their day that you have to concoct these long winded posts that go nowhere.

Now tell us again about that time you went to Shelbyville with an onion attached to your belt because that was the fashion at the time.
          Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
            Yes, you do actually. To your second point, no it doesn't deserve consideration for anybody who doesn't have the free time in their day that you have to concoct these long winded posts that go nowhere.

Now tell us again about that time you went to Shelbyville with an onion attached to your belt because that was the fashion at the time.
            <--- Thank you for the new Profile Location.

You've got 16k posts here too. Aint like you have anything better to do either...

Let's face it. If any of us mattered in the slightest -- to our jobs, to our spouses, to God -- we wouldn't be on the Cafe at all. "Abandon all pretense ye who enter here."
            Last edited by Kepler; 10-16-2019, 10:05 AM.
            Cornell University
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
              You get a flippant Abe Simpson reference because you deserve a flippant Abe Simpson reference. Wanting to ban replay outright is as ridiculous as wanting to ban the forward pass because the running game needs to be saved, it’s a ridiculous and fantastical idea. Replay is a natural evolution of the game and a useful tool to officials. Your attitude reeks of “I don’t like what sports is becoming because it’s new and different, why can’t we just go back to how it was?!?”
              1. You had a misconception of my attitude.

2. I corrected you with one of my best Long Winded Posts That Go Nowhere (TM).

3. You responded by ignoring everything I said and just went back to your hobbyhorse.

You're not making an argument; you're emitting noises emotionally. Your response to a dissenting opinion is "hurr, that's gay!" There is no point in debating with you and there are plenty of other people here who are honestly discussing this.
              Cornell University

Comment

You've got 16k posts here too. Aint like you have anything better to do either...

Let's face it. If any of us mattered in the slightest we wouldn't be here all.
                Wait, what? Am I really the only highly connected billionaire power broker here? You guys sure had me fooled.....
                If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                  Wait, what? Am I really the only highly connected billionaire power broker here? You guys sure had me fooled.....
                  Shh... I think I've got him buffalloed. Let's meet on your yacht tonight and discuss it. joe will bring the infant for the sacrifice to Baphomet; Scooby will bring the tapas.
                  Cornell University

Comment

Shh... I think I've got him buffalloed. Let's meet on your yacht tonight and discuss it. joe will bring the infant for the sacrifice to Baphomet; Scooby will bring the tapas.
                    I can bring dessert. How about chocolate cake?
                    Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                    Patreon for exclusive writing content
                    Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

I wouldn't eat anything Scooby brings if I were you. Its probably laced with broken glass and touch sensitive explosives given his outlook on the world..
                      Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

1. You had a misconception of my attitude.

2. I corrected you with one of my best Long Winded Posts That Go Nowhere (TM).

3. You responded by ignoring everything I said and just went back to your hobbyhorse.

You're not making an argument; you're emitting noises emotionally. Your response to a dissenting opinion is "hurr, that's gay!" There is no point in debating with you and there are plenty of other people here who are honestly discussing this.
                        Wow, what a dismissive and insulting attitude Kepler, **** you too buddy.

I am honestly discussing this with you, you just don’t like what I’m saying: Replay is a natural evolution of the sport.
                        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                          I can bring dessert. How about chocolate cake?
                          Could you do cupcakes of the 72 sigils of Goetia?

Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                            I wouldn't eat anything Scooby brings if I were you. Its probably laced with broken glass and touch sensitive explosives given his outlook on the world..
                            The explosives would be Flag, along with the nascent iodine.
                            Cornell University

Comment

Let's face it. If any of us mattered in the slightest -- to our jobs, to our spouses, to God -- we wouldn't be on the Cafe at all. "Abandon all pretense ye who enter here."
                              GreatLakerMohawk being the prime example
                              It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Hey now, my mom says I'm the coolest kid in school.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                                iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                                gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                                Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                                Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                                TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                                DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Working...
                                X