Mercyhurst Lakers 2018-2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
    The game that was postponed against RIT has been rescheduled for January 31 at 5:00 (Eastern). It's not showing up on the Mercyhurst schedule yet, but it's on RIT's schedule.
    Thanks Zed. I was wondering about that.

Comment

Re: Mercyhurst Lakers 2018-2019

Lakers take on Lindenwood at 3 pm today. That series is at 1-1 this year. Lindenwood’s goalie Jolene DeBruyn does not appear on their roster anymore, which explains why freshman Sophie Wolf has gotten so many games lately.

Looking to see the Lakers rebound from last weeks game against RIT. Hoping to see the power play find the back of the net again. They have a unit of four forwards and a D that they’ve been throwing out that absolutely dominated time of possession on the PP against RIT, but wasn’t filling the net like vs Colgate. Wouldn’t be surprised if they get going again, today. I think a challenge for Mercyhurst is to set the pace of the game, and not take senseless penalties.

For those of you who follow social media, you’ll see it’s the #FightingForFolgs weekend, in support of Mike Folga, a very long time Hurst equipment manager who is battling cancer. There are opportunities to donate online to him in his fight, or to the American Cancer Society. If you can make it to tomorrow’s game, there is an auction with incredible stuff to bid on. Signed NHL jerseys (Gretzky, Skinner, Preds Team, Foligno / and an Szabados from the NWHL). Way more stuff than that; go to the game if you can, and God bless Folga in his fight!

Comment

Nice job by Mercyhurst sweeping Lindenwood.

Yesterday Sarah McDonnell got her 5th shutout of the season as Lakers won 2-0. Shots were 24-16 Lindenwood, and Mercyhurst had 20 minutes of penalties but they got the win, so what do I care?

Goals came at even strength from sophomore Megan Korzack (Robillard, Perrault); and junior Sam Isbell (Knott, Korzack).

Twitter highlights of yesterday’s game: https://mobile.***********/HurstWHoc...15664717766656

Hope to share some thoughts about today’s game, later but the short version is they played great and there was lots of fan support for the #FightingForFolgs event.

Comment

Tonight's rescheduled game against RIT has been postponed again.

https://***********/RITathletics/sta...58690876829699

Edit: now rescheduled for Saturday at 1pm. https://www.ritathletics.com/news/20...o-weather.aspx
          Last edited by mar7967; 01-31-2019, 09:49 AM.
          Atlantic Hockey Composite schedule: www.tinyurl.com/AHAcomp2
          College Hockey America (Women) Composite Schedule: www.tinyurl.com/CHAWcomp

RIT Tigers
          Men's Atlantic Hockey Champions 2010 2015 2016
          Men's Frozen Four 2010
          Women's College Hockey America Champions 2014 2015
          Women's DIII National Champions 2012

Comment

2-1 RIT after one. Sarah McDonnell in net for Mercyhurst. Mercyhurst had a 1-0 lead after a goal from sophomore Alexa Vasko, assisted by Pinto and Nuutinen. Rebound goal, 2nd or third shot on the play. Vasko was covered but outmuscled the defender to bang the puck in the net.

RIT tied it on the PP, then took the lead shortly after to close out the period. Back and forth, evenly played period.
            Last edited by Lindsay; 02-02-2019, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Still 2-1 after two, RIT leading. Lakers lead in shots 22-15. Lots of special teams this period as RIT had 2 penalties and Lakers had 3. I will have to check if Gout on RIT is a freshman. I hear her name non stop. What a different team from last year.

One of Hurst’s best chances was Vasko on a near breakaway, took the shot and the goalie bobbled it, but the refs blew the whistle even though the puck was sitting on the ice in front of the goalie. Ugh.

Nuutinen getting some chances, Molly Blasen skating really well too, hopefully the Lakers can get some goals in the third.

RIT pxp doing a good job, but filming the scoreboard between whistles would help a bit. As a viewer not much sense of how much time has gone by.

Comment

Lakers win 3-2 in OT. 3rd period flew by, Lakers dominated in shots 17-2. Vasko got her second of the game on a give and go with junior Maggie Knott. Knott was parked below the goal line, Vasko fed her the puck and got it right back on her forehand as she skated by the defender, then shot the puck past Lanteigne. Other assist to freshman Sarah Nelles.

OT was all Hurst. Winning goal was on a sequence from senior Vilma Tanskanen to Sophomore defender KK Thiessen at the point, who got the puck on net and Dobson got the goal.

Nice team win, nice job by McDonnell, not a ton of shots but some bus saves. Lakers are 12-10-3 on the season, and within 1 point of league leader RMU.

Lots of players playing well, not showing up on the scoresheet every game but getting it done, and but it’s going to help down the stretch for sure. Thiessen with the big play in OT might be an example.

Next up, hosting Syracuse.

Edit: fixed the 2nd Vasko goal, I thought the passer was Isbell.
                Last edited by Lindsay; 02-02-2019, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Where did RIT find the juice this year, after last year's embarrassing run? Was Scott McDonald that bad for the team?

Comment

Where did RIT find the juice this year, after last year's embarrassing run? Was Scott McDonald that bad for the team?
                    Lol, great rhetorical question!!!

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                      Simple: They made a great coaching hire. He is not complaining about his players, he has instituted a system that plays to his players' strengths and is developing his talent. He also lucked out on the goalie.
                      Last edited by Reddington; 02-03-2019, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Hahaha - I knew you'd like that!

Comment

Hahaha - I knew you'd like that!
                          Lol obviously! He was so toxic. I knew a few girls that played there when he was the coach. They said he was a completely different person when he was recruiting them compared to who he was once they got there. They grew to hate him within one semester and that was extremely common within that program.

Comment

Lol obviously! He was so toxic. I knew a few girls that played there when he was the coach. They said he was a completely different person when he was recruiting them compared to who he was once they got there. They grew to hate him within one semester and that was extremely common within that program.
                            Sounds familiar *cough*

Comment

https://mobile.***********/HurstWHoc...66405585276929

50 second highlight video of Hurst’s goals in their 3-2 OT win. 2nd goal passer was Isbell after all. Love the OT goal, great play by all involved.

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
                                https://mobile.***********/HurstWHoc...66405585276929

50 second highlight video of Hurst’s goals in their 3-2 OT win. 2nd goal passer was Isbell after all. Love the OT goal, great play by all involved.
                                Thanks for that. I'm not sure why the twitter videos never play for me. I also found it here:
                                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHpcFRkQ0ps

If one added the distance from the net of all five goals, I doubt that would get you to the blue line. The last two goals by the Lakers were very nice.
                                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Working...
                                X